Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Jack Reacher

BobS761

I saw the movie today and thought it was great.

I repeat I am not a Cruise fan at all, and, maybe somebody would have been better in the role (Steve McQueen? Butterfly McQueen? But, it was an excellent movie with few technical "things"

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just started reading the first book (thanks for pointing them out), and ya, it is funny, one of the descriptions is of a "Very large muscled man barely able to fit under the doorway, stood just slightly taller than me" You get the feeling that this should have been a Tom Selleck size part, but I have to agree, the shorter Tom can handle the action scenes pretty well.

Be interesting to see how much they follow the theme of the book in the Movie, either way, looks like a good book series.

Yeah, Selleck's a little long in the tooth, he's not Thomas Magnum anymore...

I would have thought Dwayne Johnson 'the rock' would have been a better choice.

Tom Cruise....not my first pick for the movie....

Well, I would figure for a movie role the first thing would be to be an actor....not a WWF personality.

I would have thought Dwayne Johnson 'the rock' would have been a better choice.

Tom Cruise....not my first pick for the movie....

Well, I would figure for a movie role the first thing would be to be an actor....not a WWF personality.

He was pretty badass in Fast Five.

• 2 weeks later...

I've come to realize that Tom Cruise might be a bit of a nut but he's a good actor. I saw Reacher and was rather impressed with it. Good action, decent enough plot, good comedy and lots of great lines, especially the whole speech 3/4 of the way through the movie he says about being "Free"

• 3 months later...

Added Jack Reacher to my Blu-ray collection today.

We liked it.

Solid 7 out of 10.

Say what you want about Cruise (what hasn't been said about Cruise?).

He sure has had one amazing 30+ year career in Hollyweird.

Just watched it. Really, really good.

Movies fall into one of two categories....entertaining, or not. This defefinitely was.

Was it just like the book? I don't know since I didn't read it, and even if I had, who gives a damn? It's a Movie....not a Book! If you like the book better, fine. Don't watch the movie - read the book again.

Cruise is waay off-center and crazy as a shithouse rat, but he's proven to be a damn good actor, especially in action roles. And he's more than physical enough to pull this off.

Since I started all this, I'll put in my 2 cents after watching it last night. Pretty good movie. Had I not read the books,I would not have known about the 6'5'" thing. Cruise made it work. I would watch another adaptation.

B

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got this on Netflix..

Read all the books and like them

When I heard Cruise.. I was a little stunned too.. and I think generally, Cruise isn't a very good actor

But he pulled this off well.. good movie, good role for him

Funniest thing.. in one scene he's walking into a bar, camera is following behind him at about his head level.. Everyone was about his height or shorter.. what's he walking on a park bench? He's about 5'2" in real life? (ok - not sure - just short)

I watched it over the weekend, and thought it was pretty good, for what it was. Like other's have said, Cruise did a pretty good job as long as you ignore the fact that he's not the same build as the Reacher in the books.

Did anyone notice Child had a cameo role?

My one disappointment (which is true for pretty much the entire genre) JR could kick 5 people's ass at 1 time, but when it comes to the climax at the end where he has to fight the badass, it turns into a long drawn out fight.

My one disappointment (which is true for pretty much the entire genre) JR could kick 5 people's ass at 1 time, but when it comes to the climax at the end where he has to fight the badass, it turns into a long drawn out fight.

It always amazes me that in books and movies, you have a 220# guy taking on 5, 220# guys and he wins. Seriously, do we belive there is such a trained badass out there that wouldn't simply be overwhelmed by 5 on 1?

It always amazes me that in books and movies, you have a 220# guy taking on 5, 220# guys and he wins. Seriously, do we belive there is such a trained badass out there that wouldn't simply be overwhelmed by 5 on 1?

As long as the guys always come one at a time :)

Austin Power snippet:

Nigel: Oh, put the guns down. Is-is this the first day on the job or something? Look, this is how it goes, you attack me, one at a time, and I knock you out with a single punch. Okay? Go.(The two guards listen, and Nigel does just that)

Dr. Evil: Oh, he's good.

Nigel: (to third guard) Do you know who I am? Have you any idea how many anonymous henchmen I've killed over the years? And look at you, you haven't even got a name tag. You got no chance. Why don't you just fall down? Go on, son.(The guard complies.)

I heard the movie was good so of course I grabbed a Child book "Persuader" and couldn't get past page 10. The guy is a complete idiot when it comes to guns. He has a .44 mag "shattering a (car)radiator and "blowing up a front tire in a spectacular explosion of black rubber debris "yards of blown tread whipped through the air" He's going to shoot a guy and" then I used my left hand to cradle my right forearm against the Colt's four pound weight" He shoots the guy and" the guys chest seemed to explode in a huge cloud of blood" If you're going to write about something write about something you know or consult a pro. I think i will reread one of my Steven Hunter, Vince Flynn or John Sandford novels to get the bad taste out of my mind. :angry2:

• 4 weeks later...

I heard the movie was good so of course I grabbed a Child book "Persuader" and couldn't get past page 10. The guy is a complete idiot when it comes to guns. He has a .44 mag "shattering a (car)radiator and "blowing up a front tire in a spectacular explosion of black rubber debris "yards of blown tread whipped through the air" He's going to shoot a guy and" then I used my left hand to cradle my right forearm against the Colt's four pound weight" He shoots the guy and" the guys chest seemed to explode in a huge cloud of blood" If you're going to write about something write about something you know or consult a pro. I think i will reread one of my Steven Hunter, Vince Flynn or John Sandford novels to get the bad taste out of my mind. :angry2:

Well if you continue reading, you will find that Reacher is faking a shooting with the DEA so he can infiltrate a mob gang. He is using his left hand to hit detonator buttons on his right arm. The tires are rigged to explode also. Reacher has enough control to not really shoot a cop.

I'm sorry, he wrote what he wrote. You don't "shatter" a car radiator or "blow up a front tire" BS is BS. If you like it, happy for you. Give me real. Nobody's chest" explodes in a huge cloud of blood". Been there, done that.