Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I so hate Texas stars!

NicVerAZ

I read some where on this sight that... There are no hard shots and no easy shots. You simply shoot when you have a good sight picture. If you can interanlize this, it really helps a ton. Your issues with the star will go away.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the biggest thing is to go slow and make sure you get your hits. Steel is something I tend to struggle with for whatever reason, especially plate racks . I'm not a great shooter, but I do try to learn. If you watch stage 2 of the video below, you'll see I completely bombed the steel poppers, got frustrated, and it took WAY too long to clear them.

Fast forward to 1:00 minute (Stage 3) to see the TS.

Stage 3 shows how I shot a TS last season, believe me, going slow really does help. Having a bunch of steel at local matches is usually guaranteed, so I started shooting more Steel Challenge matches to focus heavily on hitting steel fast, and the transitions between steel.

For me, it's a whole different experience than shooting paper, and something I need to keep working on.

Edited by polizei1

It's not shooting steel well that makes the best shooters ... It not having any weaknesses. How much time in training do you focus on skills where you are weak? How much weak hand shooting do you practice? Head shots? Shoting on the move, long range, etc, etc.

I do a drill where I draw and transfer to the weak hand, fire 2 shots to the body, transfer to the strong hand, fire two to the head, reload, fire two to the body strong hand only, transfer to the weak hand and fire 2 shots to the head ... That's one rep. I do this drill for 10 reps on the days I do it.

Can you count the number of skills that most shooters struggle with all incorporated into a single drill? That's how to turn weaknesses into strengths. BTW, I hate that drill but that's exactly why I keep doing it ...

I had issues with TS until I took a class to teach proper fundamentals. Then at my first match after the class I destroyed 3 plates UNTIL I had a jam. Time I cleared it and got back.into the game the plates had stopped moving and still couldn't hit the other plates clean.

Its all head games for me and I dig it.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a double TS that was activated (with a weight) by stepping on a plate. The front star was yellow no shoots and the back star was youre target, by the time I knocked all the back plates off there was only one no shoot left. I knocked it down also for good measure LOL

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I hated them as well until a new one was purchased. The new one had White plates, the rest was Red and Blue. I was able to go one for one on the white plates. I moved back to the old star which had no paint and were just the Gray steel. What I found out was that I was having a hard time seeing the Gray plates in the shade of the pit but was able to see the White plates with no problem. My Red/Green color blindness was killing me in the shade of the range pit. Hope my next match I am lucky to get the new star and not the old one.

Stars are just one of those things you have to get used to with practice. The first time I ever saw one was at the second match I ever shot. Whoever designed the stage was evil and had placed two no shoots behind the star. When I ran out of ammo with three plates still on the RO turned to the scorekeeper and said "Umm...do want to help me count the no shoots"

• 2 weeks later...

I ran into one of them at a steel match about 5 or 6 yrs ago. I shot it allright, then came home and built one. Took a long time to get the right hold/release system (I call them "triggers"). When I found the right formula, I built the next hated steel match nemisis: a polish plate rack. Mine is smaller, moves faster, and has 6, 6" plates. This year's match, there was a star behind a star. I built a 2nd on in the week after the match. We shoot them a lot at my Monday night fun shoots here at my house. The people that shoot them a lot don't fear them and, as said before, actually look forward to shooting them. Mine move a lot faster than the ones at the matches. We actually almost wait for the thing to index. My kid starts anywhere on the thing and chases down the targets. He's fast! The 1st has 6"x8" plates, and the 2nd has 6" round plates. This year, I'm putting one on an arm suspended from the top on a bearing. The swinging Texas Star! Awsome.

Why don't you live close to me... I have NOWHERE to practice anything like that around me...

Ignore the fact that it is a star and just treat them like any other target. Good grip, solid sight picture, appropriate trigger pull. Done.

They used to bother me as well, until I stopped worrying about them so much.

Now I look forward to them. I am always trying to push myself to clear the entire thing before any of those little bitches can start to rotate!

I ran into one of them at a steel match about 5 or 6 yrs ago. I shot it allright, then came home and built one. Took a long time to get the right hold/release system (I call them "triggers"). When I found the right formula, I built the next hated steel match nemisis: a polish plate rack. Mine is smaller, moves faster, and has 6, 6" plates. This year's match, there was a star behind a star. I built a 2nd on in the week after the match. We shoot them a lot at my Monday night fun shoots here at my house. The people that shoot them a lot don't fear them and, as said before, actually look forward to shooting them. Mine move a lot faster than the ones at the matches. We actually almost wait for the thing to index. My kid starts anywhere on the thing and chases down the targets. He's fast! The 1st has 6"x8" plates, and the 2nd has 6" round plates. This year, I'm putting one on an arm suspended from the top on a bearing. The swinging Texas Star! Awsome.

Why don't you live close to me... I have NOWHERE to practice anything like that around me...

Probably an easy drive... What 15 or so hrs? Wish you did live close. You would be welcome! Last Saturday I set up 2 stars next to each other as part of a 30 target stage. People still hate them... Funny to watch though.

" I don't think you can get the stars out of the shed. They have a separate lock that I think only MDs have a key to. I actually wish they would have stars more often. They aren't my strongest point either largely because the only way to practice on them is at the matches or drop about $1,500 or so for one which isn't going to happen. "

You can buy a Real Texas Star from GT Targets for $675 plus 95 if you also want the rimfire plates Karl the owner of GT Targets is also a forum Sponsor !

• 3 weeks later...

the polish plate rack make the star look like childs play, but its the same strategy, keep it balanced. Now if I could just shoot clean then neither would get the chance to move. I always start on the stars in case I miss and it starts spinning. Then I just go on to the other targets and come back to the star after finishing the rest of them. This of course depends on the course layout and wouldn't work in a uspsa style match...but it does work at falling steel matches. I think they are a ton of fun......just like the olshooting galleries.

• 4 weeks later...

I usually run them 12:00, 9:00, 3:00, 5:00 and 7:00, which works very well for me...except for the last match we had where the blasted 3.00 plate seems to have gotten stuck and needed 3 hits from a major PF .40 to finally come off - I should have called a range equipment malf, but was all souped up and kept shooting. Wasted a few seconds plus an extra reload which pushed me into second place overall by 4.6 points out of 430 on that match...bah, humbug....

I agree with Lawboy and Nimitz - practice your steels so when you get a bunch of poppers, plates and stars on a stage you won't get a mental block, unlike some other shooters.

​I tend to shoot steel arrays in practice using a Virginia count - nothing worse/better than seeing a couple of plates still standing grinning at you at the end of a COF to really get you to focus on your fundamentals.

The first time I shot a USPSA Match we had two on the same stage. I learned quickly how to shoot them (from the top down) Here's a video from our last USPSA match Stage 2. two shooting boxes, 2 poppers, 4 targets and one Texas star. Stage description: from one shooting box engage the targets, the other box engage the steel. If you think positive, you will succeed. Here's how I shoot it.

http://s707.photobucket.com/user/mscott327/media/Stage2.mp4.html

Edited by stick