Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is your favorite powder for 9mm ?

cecil

Silhouette, WST and WSF all work well. I tinkered with Zip a bit, as well as Solo1000 and saw no great benefit. N320 is good, but for the added cost, no great advantage. Clays is okay, but does not meter worth a hoot.

I am uisng E3, but there is no load data for it so unless you know what you are doing, stick with Sil, WST or WSF.

Are you using Hercules E3 for lead or jacketed loads? I would be interested in your recipe and your thoughts on how it works. I have a pound and was going to try it in .40 but 9mm could be a great experiment also.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised. Usually when someone asks about a powder someone pipes up with Unique. So are people getting away from it or is this a case where there really is something better?

There is always something better. Twenty five years ago everyone started with bullseye and /or Unique. Unique was the original universal powder.

I use Clays for my 9mm and 45 ACP. I use 4756 as a backup which is what I use for 38 Super. These two powders cover all my personal needs.

I have a HUGE can of 4756, which is my backup powder for .38 Supercomp, but, I never thought of trying it in another caliber.

What load do ou use for 9mm and .45?

I KNOW that I have to start low, and work up. Every can of 4756 I've ever bought chronoed different.

That is a loaded (no pun intended) question, since there are a lot of variables with load and bullet weight...it is extremely confusing since, if you ask 50 people, you will get at least 25 different answers and everyone is convinced that they use the best...

I would suggest that you pick a powder, try it will different combinations of bullet weight and load strength, take good notes at the range and then GO WITH IT and keep sending them down-range...otherwise, it will drive you nuts trying to figure out who is right...

I'm surprised. Usually when someone asks about a powder someone pipes up with Unique. So are people getting away from it or is this a case where there really is something better?

I still use it, but more just because I haven't ever broken down and ordered enough powder at one time to justify mail-order, and Unique is on just about every local gunshop shelf I've ever stopped at. As a matter of fact the only powders I've ever used in 9mm have been Titegroup, Bullseye, and Unique.

That said, due to the general dirtiness of Unique I've just got in some new bullets (Zero 147gr's) and I bought some IMR 700-X to work up some loads with.

Edited by MGMorden

I use unique and n320 for minor. I honestly can't tell the difference.

I bet your pocketbook can... :-)

I don't keep up with reloading costs. I also do woodworking and the best advise I ever got was, " use sandpaper like someone else is paying for it". I use the same philosophy with reloading. Use what feels the best. Availability and price are distant 2nd and 3rd on the list of importance.