Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why caps?

Neomet

Why do we always wear caps when we shoot? I get it if the sun is in front of us or off to the side, but most ranges I see normally have the sun at my back when I shoot. I ask because I was practicing and had my cap soaking in ice water to cool off and went out and shot some. I was pretty impressed with how things looked without the bill of the cap blocking the upper portion of my view. Didn't do anything on the timer but it did feel better.

First off, my hat keeps the top of my bald head from getting sunburned. In addition, several of the local clubs have ranges that have some pretty strong morning and mid-day sun so I need to brim of the hat to keep the sun out of my eyes. As gng4life noted, it helps to deflect hot brass from our head and face.

I'm sorry, I should clarify... just while shooting. My scalp too has shed the inhibitions of hiding behind hair. I barely will walk to my car here in Phoenix without cover on. The point of hot brass is a good one.

That's an excellent question.

I never used to wear a hat. I thought the bill/brim was an unnecessary visual distraction. Then I too got tired of the sun toasting my bare forehead.

But why wear it while shooting?

I guess it's because I'm too lazy to take it off or turn it backwards and then put my ears back on.

I wear it when it rain, it keep rain out of glasses and eyes.

Same thing here. It makes a huge difference at keeping your lenses somewhat clear when it's raining.

I normally wear a hat at matches to keep the sun off of my head, but typically take it off before the stage. I NEVER wear hats in day to day life and find them to be a distraction when shooting. To avoid the brass behind the glasses issue, I try to keep the frames pretty close to my forehead.

When I shot Production I didn't wear anything when I shot. A large brimmed hat to keep the sun off when I wasn't but it came off to shoot. When I started Open I found out I like the least sun in my face I can get so I started wearing a visor all the time. If there's a low port or the like on a stage I push it way up. Otherwise I keep it tucked down as tight as I can. It keeps the sun and brass out and helps reduce visual distractions caused by any manner of natural or man made debris. :)

I didn't wear a hat until a hot .40 case got stuck in my glasses. Now I do, every time.

Yeah, branding sucks, at least on the receiving end. That is the reason I will keep wearing one. Because where I live has no humidity, and rain as something I normally see just in the movies, protection from sweat and the elements isn't such a big deal for me.

Hot brass, sun and sweat come to mind.

Ding Ding Ding,,,,sweat. Apparently, somebody lost some hair in the 5 to 6 years since I....I mean he shot his last USPSA matches. :surprise:

Don't get me started on sweat bands......