Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another WWII Vet Is Gone

Joe D

I had to take my 91 year old Dad off life support today. I held him as he died like I did my Mother. He was a P47 pilot in the Army Air Corps. He spent most of his time shooting up trains in Germany. He will be buried in the Alabama Veterans Cemetery Thursday. I now have no family left.

OTOH he is with his wife of 65 years in Glory.

The one thing that has sustained me through this and my near fatal motorcycle crash is pretty simple - "My Grace is sufficient".

I am not half the man my Dad and Grandfather were. Yes, he was a member of the "Greatest Generation".

Very sorry for your loss, Joe.

We actually have a WWII veteran shooting our Tuesday night USPSA matches--(with an ancient 1911 and 7-round magazines, naturally). We all consider it a real privilege to be able to shoot with him.

As I was driving to lunch today, it struck me that if the subject of this thread had been the death of somebody's dog, there would already be 27 reply posts of self-indulgent sympathy.

Fortunately for us all, the WWII generation of Americans had their priorities a little straighter than we do today.

Joe,

His Grace is Sufficient. My prayers are with you brother. My Father-In-Law is a WWII Veteran and was in the Army Air Corp, he is 86 years old. I pray that God will hold

you in his hands during this most difficult time.

Ron

You held him as he died. I doubt he could have chose a better way to go. He has my thanks and you have my respect for seeing him out that way.

I couldn't have said it better. Thanks J.

Sorry for your loss Joe. I have some understanding of how you feel. My dad passed 4 1/2 years ago after I told his doctors that he had had enough. A combat infantryman in WWII who fought through North Africa and Italy, the least I could do for him was to help him move on. We may never be the men they were but by honoring and emulating them we can at least stand tall in their shadows.

i fly back to St. Louis in a couple weeks to see my dad at the Veterans Cemetery on fathers day.

Very sorry for your loss. They are indeed "The Greatest Generation". It is always rewarding to greet one, ask about their service and just listen to them. Their eyes light up.

My thanks to your father for his service and sacrifice and my condolences to you.

Edited by Paul Santiago

I had to take my 91 year old Dad off life support today. I held him as he died like I did my Mother. He was a P47 pilot in the Army Air Corps. He spent most of his time shooting up trains in Germany. He will be buried in the Alabama Veterans Cemetery Thursday. I now have no family left.

OTOH he is with his wife of 65 years in Glory.

The one thing that has sustained me through this and my near fatal motorcycle crash is pretty simple - "My Grace is sufficient".

I am not half the man my Dad and Grandfather were. Yes, he was a member of the "Greatest Generation".

Joe, that you were there, I am sure, would mean quite a lot to him. I know, that if I were to go, I would love to have one of my loved ones hold me and wish me well. Like any journey, it is always sweet to have someone wish you farewell. I'm sure he told your mother, that he was just with you.

• 2 months later...