Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9MM with Clays

RufDog

I love clays powder in 40 & 9mm. I shoot mostly 3G but used it a lot for IPSC 40 Major. I've loaded some 9mm with it. Currently I have a load @ 1.17 oal Montana Gold 124 FMJ & 4.0gr of Clays. It seems to make a great 3G load in the 6" 9 S_I coming in at 125pf & 1000fps. I am unable to comprehend how everyone carrys on about it being so "unsafe". I'm interested to hear what loads others are using with Clays.

-Ruf

I shoot mainly 45acp and load them with Clays, so since I buy 8 pounds at a time and recently put together a Glock I wanted to load my 9mm rounds with the same. So far I have loaded about 2K 125gr RN and truncated Bear Creek bullets with 3.3 grains of Clays @ 1.145 COL for the RN and 1.125 COL on the truncated. I'm shooting these through a G26 with a KKM barrel and they shoot pretty good with no problems feeding, ejecting, or with accuracy.

I have burned up about 60 lbs of it over the years in .32, .38, 9mm, .38super, .40, .44 and .45.... it is a great propellant but it builds pressure REAL quick. Heavy boolits in small capacity cases and Clays... well that's where the tears can start.

Pinman44 has the neatest, most correct entry... he wins the prize. :cheers:

This is the most praise I've heard for this powder in a public forum, I can feel the love. I've always been a fan of the lighter bullets. Pinman & Twodownzero, thanks for the tip; I had never had anyone specifically say that, but I have always used bullets on the lighter side of what is common. 135-155 is what I like in a 40 & I like the 121-125 in 9.

Edited by RufDog

I tried it with 124 fmjs in my M&P 9L. Loved the recoil pulse but hated the accuracy. Got a new batch working now with 7625. Not quite as soft but much better accuracy. I'm still relatively new to the USPSA game and I'm running in Production. I've learned that with the minor scoring, accuracy means a great deal.

Accuracy sucks with CLAYS and lighter bullets. It is a great powder for .40(minor) and 45, but there are better powders for 9mm, like tightgroup, solo 1000, and even universal clays and W231.

If you go by feel, then it is light recoiling, but there are better powders out there for the bullet weights you use than CLAYS.

You might cut your group size in half by trying different powders...something to think about

;)

Good luck,

DougC

Accuracy sucks with CLAYS and lighter bullets. It is a great powder for .40(minor) and 45, but there are better powders for 9mm, like tightgroup, solo 1000, and even universal clays and W231.

If you go by feel, then it is light recoiling, but there are better powders out there for the bullet weights you use than CLAYS.

You might cut your group size in half by trying different powders...something to think about

;)

Good luck,

DougC

The accuracy comments surprise me. 5x5s aren't an issue, nor A head shots @ 25.

I have an 8 lb jug of clays (from my trapshooting days) I have been considering using in 9mm with a 124gr. bullet when my current supply of titegroup runs out. I loaded up 300 rounds recently to try. I did not bench rest them but informally I did not notice much difference in accuracy. I was hoping that there would be less of that special bayou bullet smell with clays but it seemed about the same. One thing I did notice was that CCI primers were noticeably flatter than they were with my normal titegroup load. I was 0.2gr. below Hodgdon's recommended maximum and my COAL was 0.065" longer so I pretty confident the pressures were safe, but obviously closer to the higher end.

I plan to run some over the chrono and take a more serious look at the accuracy issue (since so many have reported a problem) before deciding one way or the other.

When I did accuracy testing at 25 and 50 yards with different powders CLAYS did not group well....your results may vary, but CLAYS looks like a shotgun pattern at distance compared to some of the other powders.

If it works for you enjoy!

DougC

I used it with 9mm for awhile, but I didnt like it in 40 cast bullets. So switched to tightgroup which worked well for 9mm 115 gr minor, 40 155gr minor, and 180 gr. major Made keeping one powder supply handy. Now I dont load 9mm so switched to WST.

I have burned up about 60 lbs of it over the years in .32, .38, 9mm, .38super, .40, .44 and .45.... it is a great propellant but it builds pressure REAL quick. Heavy boolits in small capacity cases and Clays... well that's where the tears can start.

Pinman44 has the neatest, most correct entry... he wins the prize. :cheers:

Well thank you. As a Hodgdon representative I should know the product line.

=O)~

When I did accuracy testing at 25 and 50 yards with different powders CLAYS did not group well....your results may vary, but CLAYS looks like a shotgun pattern at distance compared to some of the other powders.

If it works for you enjoy!

DougC

My experience was pretty much the same (at 25 yds). Chrono'ing the same 147's over straight Clays also gave me fairly large SD's, which sort of goes along with the grouping issues.

Berry's 124gr RN plated bullets over 3.6gr of Clays @ OAL 1.125"; PF 129 out Shadow and 75SA. IPSC/USPSA Prod. and IDPA ESP Div. Over 20K loaded and shot.

I also loaded and shot IMR 700X quite a bit (~6-7K rds) - it's not as good as Clays, not even close. 700X is dirtier, not as easy to make PF, more that 10% more powder to make PF and it's snappier. More flash if one is ever doing shooting in low light or night conditions.

Clays is large flakes powder, so, same volume may not mean same weight or 'amount' of powder going into each case. Some powder measures don't work well with it either. That's one good reason to have high SD.

I've loaded up some 147s at 1.245" oal.

That has to be 1.145" ? Unless you're shooting .38 super?

Nope 1.245". I had my 9mm bbls freebored so I can load long. I wouldn't have even tried clays unless I could load it very long.

Berry's 124gr RN plated bullets over 3.6gr of Clays @ OAL 1.125"; PF 129 out Shadow and 75SA. IPSC/USPSA Prod. and IDPA ESP Div. Over 20K loaded and shot.

I also loaded and shot IMR 700X quite a bit (~6-7K rds) - it's not as good as Clays, not even close. 700X is dirtier, not as easy to make PF, more that 10% more powder to make PF and it's snappier. More flash if one is ever doing shooting in low light or night conditions.

Clays is large flakes powder, so, same volume may not mean same weight or 'amount' of powder going into each case. Some powder measures don't work well with it either. That's one good reason to have high SD.

In response to Clays. It is truly an excellent powder. However, there are many other candidates within the Hodgdon line that would suit all of your needs. IMR 700X was in response to data provided for a 147 Grain bullet for a relatively fast powder in between TG and Clays.

Thank you,

Robby