Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Name 5 weapons You think changed history

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think these five most changed how wars were fought.

The spear.

Longbow

Repeating rifle

Maxim Machine Gun

Aircraft

Changed history? I am stuck on the Nuke. The first weapon that is so devastating that it hasn't been used in over 65 years yet has influenced history just by it's existence.

5) English 'Tudor' Cannon--first Arty placements and Naval Cannons

4) 1853 Enfield Rifled Musket--First of the rifled bores for accuracy...technically the first "Sniper Rifle"

3) .44 Henry Repeater--the rifle that tamed the West...powerful, accurate, simple

2) 1862 Gatling Gun--preamble to the modern machine gun

1) Colt 1911--still in production after 101 years...simple,elegant,effective...

Sticking with the Nuke theme, I'm revising mine to:

Little Boy

Fatman

the first nuke developed by Russia

the first nuke developed by China

the first nuke that will be developed by Iran :ph34r:

No one has mentioned the iron sword,

The first army with that just blew through their adversaries, who were still using bronze ones.

Bet how to make them was a well kept secret for a long time.

Then there was the sling shot, the kind David used.

Probably the first long distance weapon that could be used with serious accuracy.

The Romans used them to great advantage when conquering the British Isles.

No shortage of ammo, either.

When they ran out of the good stuff, they just used rocks.

Try that with your .45!

Edited by g.willikers

• 1 month later...

Ain't it amazing how many of the guns mentioned in this topic that were designed by JMB?

FN 1910

1911 (since 1911, still cocked and locked)

M-2 Browning machine gun

And he also worked for Winchester and designedsom of the lever action rifles, worked on the design of the Winchester lever action shotgun (1893?)

Browning automatic rifle

What a designer.

[quote name='redbulladdikt' timestamp='1330712589' post='1651052'

4) 1853 Enfield Rifled Musket--First of the rifled bores for accuracy...technically the first "Sniper Rifle"

Wouldn't that actually be the PA Rifle (AKA the "Kentucky" Rifle?)

Firearms in general as they ended the days of the 'Knight in shining armor

Flintlock Rifle (not to be confused with Muskets)as they brought about accurate fire and allowed for the selective engagement of a single enemy.

Colt's patent revolver

The Henry Rifle (Them damn'd Yankees can load on Sunday and shoot all week)

The Maxim as it ushered in the age of the machine gun and ended the days of the set piece battle

All other automatic and semi-autmatics fall under this heading.

Now if one wants a specific weapon that changed history, that is a different question. There we arguably have the jawbone of an a Ass, the sling and stone of David, the knives of the Roamn Senate, the derringer of John W Booth, the torpedo that sank the Lusitania, the gun that killed Archduke Ferdinand, the rifle that killed Kennedy, one could go one in this vein a long time.

One could also list the airplane, but that in effect was and remains a platform for a weapon, not the weapon itself with all due respect tot he kamikazes of WWII. One can list ships, but again they are a platform as are Submarines.

Now Nukes, that is a different question and they are certainly needed to be counted as for all intents and purposes war between the Major Powers ended with the dropping of the second A-Bomb in August 1945. True enough we still fight but we do it though surrogates as that way neither side has been called upon to directly engage the other and that has kept WWIII from becoming a more deadly version of WWII. Sadly with the break-up of the Soviet Union and the efforts at the destruction of the US as the sole true super-power this may no longer hold true. There are small belligerent nations and non-nation groups that may have access to nukes and just may not have the same restraint as the US and the USSR had. We could see a limited nuclear war in our lifetimes. The limiting factory will be two-fold, one is just how many nukes the NGO has and how well they can get them into position and the other limiting factor will be just how long it is before one of the majors takes action and ends the situation. It will not be pretty.

No cavalry here? (horse, chariot, tank, chopper, etc.)

Maybe... (just my thoughts, FWIW) The chariot was not the big deal people think it was. It only worked on battlefields that were meticulously prepared by slaves ahead of time - they had to go and remove all rocks and stones lest the chariot hit one and overturn. Pretty pathetic. I can't think of a battle where the horse itself proved ultimately decisive. True, it did allow for some interesting hit and fade tactics by asian steppe horseback archers and whatnot, but history changing? I don't know. Armies without cavalry beat armies with cavalry... When I think of history changing weapons, I think of things that made everything that came before obsolete or at least required that all sides have the weapon in order to be on equal footing.

The tank is interesting as used by the Wehrmacht in WWII, but there are/were limitations, too. The Allies never had an equal to the German armor, and yet it wasn't able to stave off Allied superiority long term (due to supply problems... well, and a madman meth addict trying to do the logistics). I might agree with this one.

Airpower in general was a decisive game changer. I think air cav can be counted as part of that benefit - I think I mentioned the airplane in my post, but really, airpower in general would be a better response, in hindsight.

Firearms in general as they ended the days of the 'Knight in shining armor

Not quite. The English Longbow did that well before the firearm was accurate or long ranged enough to be decisive against armor.

how would you know?

what changed?

and how would have things have been different otherwise?

a stick or a rock and now humans eat good!

were they hungry before ?

we have other parallels

the english long bow for example.... ended Knights in Armor?

The german 88mm flak was an anti aircraft weapon.

when pressed into service as an anti-armor gun,

armor of the period did not survive,

nor did the knights inside...

pens and ideas don't look dangerous,

my experience is when combined with intention they are.

that said I think the most dangerous weapon

created by mankind is the sliderule.

it does large number crunching quickly

and allows for reasonable tolerances of accuracy.

and as an example,

I give you the real solution to WWII

the Germans could build x tanks a week/month/year

it takes 5 shermans to stop one german tank.

using a sliderule...

it was decided that we could build

5x + 1 tanks a week/month/year

victory was the only option....

as far as weapons go...

I really like the gattling gun in the A10.

history changing weapons

Rock

Stick

pen and paper

sliderule

a-10 gattling Gun

miranda

There is a bunch

Nuclear technology (WWII to present)

Stealth Technology

Submarines

Tanks