Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are CDP guys better shooters?

ProGunGuy

Back in my younger years, I tended to place higher overall when shooting CDP than when shooting ESP.

The guns were as similar as I could make them, except for caliber.

It should not happen with the greater recoil and less ammo on tap, but it did.

Nowadays recoil shakes up the joints so I stick to ESP.

I load powderpuff .45s so I can comfortably shoot the guns in ESP.

The bigger holes are a help, too.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking back at the last local IDPA match that I participated in (with a revolver mind you), I came out 26th out of 50 shooters and ahead of 8 CDP shooters (out of the 14 participating). Did I mention that I was the only revolver shooter there, and I was using a (stock) Ruger Alaskan loaded with. 45 Colt. Oh, and of course I was using speedloaders. It's the indian and not the arrow (most of the time).

Edited by Blueridge

No, but ESP shooters are better than SSP and CDP shooters. They were at the 2011 Worlds anyway.

Koski

Of course they did. Same platform as CDP but with 2 extra rounds and half the recoil! :D

Nomex Flame Suit completely zip up!

It also depends on the match. Put a bunch of 18 round or 10 round stages out there and the CDP guys are reloading more. That may increase their times. I shot a major match this fall with a good bit of hard cover and a majority of stages with round counts > 15. Out of 10 stages, I reloaded twice on 7.

ESP shooters are better because they can afford to practice more.

Or maybe the CDP shooters are better because they are all rich doctors who can afford to flush money down the toilet, shoot .45 and leave their brass where it lays.

Two points here:

No CDP shooters are not better shooters......1911 shooters are better shooters (darn tupperwear :rolleyes: )

And to also clarify a point...it is not Cowboy Class....IT'S CLASSY COWBOYS :devil: (that one is most specifically for Brian S :sight: )

Garry

one thing I have noticed locally at the IDPA matches is that the CDP shooters consistantly rank at the top in score. Usually it 1/2/3. they beat out the ssp/esp guys easily.

So are they better shooters or is it the equipment?

I'd say you have too little data to form a conclusion. Check out the results from several national championships & postal matches for a more meaningful comparison. I agree with DWFAN & lugnut.

Oh please Ed' date=' the "real" guns are round and have only 6 .45's making major in them at a time, and we get chicks as well !!![/quote']

Yep - I was at JZ's wedding match & can vouch for him :cheers:

Tom

Glad to see that some folks witnessed it, us virginia boys werent invited (probably because we shoot CDP and are so good lookin). Had to add the last part to keep the thread on track and not get closed by the mods.

Mel is a very nice classy lady and John sure married up!

You are always invited brother, Semper Fi (you just don't want to drive 2 hours to get beat by a round gun)!!!!

The reason I pick on the "Cowboy classes" is because I have had the pleasure/unfortunate pleasure of shooting with a certain SSR shooter for about 9 years who pretty much always beats me and almost everyone else/all other classes with his Cowboy Rig.

But alas, he has at least recently hung up his Cowboy Rig and switched to the 100 year old design CDP class.

What amazes me about the good CDP shooters is they are able to get pretty good times even while clearing 1 or 2 malfunctions per stage, impressive. :sight:

I mean after 100 years, you think they would have those CDP guns all sorted out.

I haven't shot against him since he went CDP, there’s a reason for that.

All in fun. :cheers:

David E.

Edited by Nuke8401

I (for one) understand the good natured bs piled on revolver guys. I have the pleasure of shooting with Brian S and we have a long and good natured back and forth. He does not see why I want to put a big M beside the revolvers....just because I did it with the 3 semi-autos.

It is also pure pleasure being an old bald fat guy with better overall times than ......well let's say, it is a pleasure to see Brian (another 3 gun master) sweat occasionally :devil:

Garry

Edited by solaritx

I (for one) understand the good natured bs piled on revolver guys. I have the pleasure of shooting with Brian S and we have a long and good natured back and forth. He does not see why I want to put a big M beside the revolvers....just because I did it with the 3 semi-autos.

It is also pure pleasure being an old bald fat guy with better overall times than ......well let's say, it is a pleasure to see Brian (another 3 gun master) sweat occasionally :devil:

Garry

HA!! Garry..we need to see a video..and then another video of Brians reaction to what you just did.. :cheers:

Garry

HA!! Garry..we need to see a video..and then another video of Brians reaction to what you just did.. :cheers:

You want a video of me laughing uncontrollably? :D

the reason the requirement was a better time than SSP is that people expected the DA trigger pull on the DA/SA guns to be a hindrance to competitors, little did they know folks would adapt so well, and the market would adapt with better hand guns.

now for local reasons, it's just where the more experienced shooters choose to be, because of their own reasons, many of the places i have shot SSP ruled the roost, other places, you may walk in and be the only shooter in ESP. It really is just determined by who likes what and what the cool kids there do. That also comes to stage design, if i design a stage shooting a 6 shot revolver i can make it advantageous to have a revolver, and the same in any other division.