Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do you shoot only 1911

YamaLink

This question is about sticking with one manual of arms and "variety is the spice of life."

I did Production a few years ago. Maybe 10 - 15 matches a year. Never took myself too seriously because I'm realistic about where I want to go in the sport. Yet most of my trigger time is with friends at the range with 22LR, DA/SA, revolvers, etc. No 1911 at that point even though I reload for 9 and 45. Then I shot a friend's nice 1911. Instantly hooked on the SA trigger.

Started buying from $650 STI Spartan 9mm and 45 all the way up to Baer PII 1.5 and some 1911 safe queens that will never see a holster. Today I only shoot that Spartan 9mm (undercut trigger guard, grip tape, 2# trigger, etc.) and I'm very confident with it and don't care if it gets scratched, dropped, etc. Out to 25 yards the tiny holes are as close as the $1500-$3000 1911 I own.

Didn't compete with 1911 because I was geared up for Production and didn't think I could shoot comp with a thumb safety. Then I sold the Production setup because I was not happy with striker fire (Apex and Powder River reduced travel kits not out at that time). My other hobbies and travel pushed competitive shooting to the back, but I was still at the range with the 1911 and have become very confident, quick and accurate with the 1911. It's automatic.

Now I have time for another year of gaming. The better shooter supposedly sticks with one manual of arms, but if you're just a casual not-so-serious recreational gamer does it matter if you switch from a Production gun back and forth to your 1911? My friends are all about variety, owning many firearms, and to a point so am I; leaning toward a CZ Shadow, getting it worked on where the SA is 1911-like.

Are any of you non-hardcore SSTK or CDP shooters purely a 1911 shooter or do you switch it up at the range and for different division/classes?

Does going to another MOA screw your 1911 gaming up?

Getting another Spartan 45acp and undercutting the trigger guard, working the trigger and slapping a narrower f/o front is tempting because it's relatively inexpensive, I've owned one before, know the 1911 MOA and then can compete in SSTK, CDP and ESP with my two STI. Same holster, mag carriers, mags and springs aircooledracer recommended.

Or do you say "life's too short to own just one type of gun, you're not that hardcore, buy other types for the range."

Edited by YamaLink

Mix it up. I shoot mostly USPSA, all six divisions, but I do try to shoot one gun (or type of gun) for at least 6 months straight. Been shooting revolver since July, but am about to switch back to SS to prep for the SS Nationals in May. Don't know that I qualify as "serious" though, this'll be my first big match.

Shoot what you love. With that said if you want to get serious about the game you need to pick something and stick with it. I did some playing in other divisions this off season but with nats around the corner it's time to get back to the grind.

Also don't just pick a division and shoot several different guns. Pick one guns and know it in and out along with its mags and ammo

Edited by steel1212

I also have no grand illusions about becoming a GM, I'll be happy to become a B shooter. I'm just out to have fun. For years I avoided competitive shooting because I was worried about making an ass out of myself in front of "serious" people. Now at 54 I'm used to making an ass out of myself and having fun while doing it. Staying safe, learning and having fun is why I'm trying it.

Hell I'm even going to IDPA matches because I love to shoot my Berettas. At the IDPA matches I use a 90-Two in 9mm (DA/SA) and am about to try a Franken gun combo of a 96 combat frame with a steel I upper in 40 (SA).

As for 1911 style guns I also could not resist the urge to get a nice 40 cal SVI for Limited in USPSA and a 38 supercomp SVI open just because they are so freaking beautiful to hold and shoot. It will be a while before I have the balls to go to a match with the open gun.

I say shoot what you want and have fun shooting just stay safe and remember where the safety is

I started competing in USPSA in production. I think it provided me with a great foundation in stage breakdown, reloads, accuracy (shooting minor forces you to shoot A's) and controlling a mushy long trigger. I then bought a limited gun and have been loving it. Huge magwell makes reloads waaaaaaay easier, the short 2 lb trigger makes the whole trigger control thing much easier, and the 21 round mags make stage breakdown waaaaay easier, and of course I'm shooting major so I can "get away with" C's now and then. So if anything, shooting production for a while has made me a much better limited shooter. But like others have said, I think its important to pick one division and gun platform and stick with it for a while. Bouncing from division to division every week makes it very hard to track progress and become proficient with any one platform.

Pick a division that makes you happy & stick with it. Practice, Practice, Practice! Spend the money to buy a gun that will perform day after day, month after month, year after year. What you want to concentrate on is your shooting, and not having gun problems and the associated grief, headaches, and matches where your gun does not perform. Wether you shoot good or bad at a match it should be you and not the gun.

I don't see a lot of harm in shooting what you like when you want to. But beware the open gun, after a year of shooting just open, I picked up an Iron Sight gun and could't hit the side of a barn from the inside. Firgured it out in a practice session, I was looking over the sights, not thru them, because of the difference in the index. Shooting the same gun all the time makes you bettter with that gun and that gun only. All shooting makes you better period as a shooter but best results are pick one and shoot it.

Take a look at Ca jun Gun Works, I'm running their trigger springs and disconnector in my Shadow and the trigger is lighter than my 2011 open gun, with very short reset.

I'm not a serious shooter, took it up at 59 hope to be good by time I'm a SuperSenior, I think I can make it to A class if my eyes can hang on.

I mainly shoot limited with a modified 2011. However, I also shoot revolver occasionally. For me, shooting the revo helps jump start my brain and makes me work on trigger control which starts to degrade after a while when shooting the 1911 based guns. This is just for me. But, I think it's fine to shoot other things occasionally for fun and it may even serve a purpose if you look at it as a learning experience. (Which everything is).

Chris

I started out w/ an excellent G-34 & G-35 pair so I could shoot IDPA & USPSA... I loved them truly, but got tired of Slide bite

and having to "Death Grip" the plastic magic...

I then got pissed and sold them off and got a pair of S&W, M&P Pro's.. Same thing, a 9mm & a .40sw..; got rid of the bite

problem but not the "Death Grip".. I was a firearms instructor among other things for years, and a "Firm Hand-Shake" hold is

what is natural, not squeeze your gun into submission... So, I went back to 1911 & 2011 and I'm here to stay... These are

the only way to go in my opinion..!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see a lot of harm in shooting what you like when you want to. But beware the open gun, after a year of shooting just open, I picked up an Iron Sight gun and could't hit the side of a barn from the inside. Firgured it out in a practice session, I was looking over the sights, not thru them, because of the difference in the index. Shooting the same gun all the time makes you bettter with that gun and that gun only. All shooting makes you better period as a shooter but best results are pick one and shoot it.

Take a look at Ca jun Gun Works, I'm running their trigger springs and disconnector in my Shadow and the trigger is lighter than my 2011 open gun, with very short reset.

I'm not a serious shooter, took it up at 59 hope to be good by time I'm a SuperSenior, I think I can make it to A class if my eyes can hang on.

It is interesting you say that, I had a very similar experience and realized this during the last match. I shoot a .22 open for steel and a iron sight limited gun. Shooting them back to back has me shooting over the top of the sights. As soon as I miss a couple I realize what I am doing and the results are drastically different. I may start shooting Iron .22 with my iron limited. Definitely a good point if other are having this issue.

Since I started shooting uspsa I have only shot SSTK, but now i have a chance to go Limited or open next year. Having a hard time on deciding which division. Shooting only SSTK I am extremely confident with it, now im just ready to shoot a different division.

I mostly shoot 1911, SS or limited 10 in USPSA, CDP or ESP in IDPA, however I do shoot a Glock 17 in Three Gun for additional magazine capacity. In my opinion It would be beneficial to choose a specific platform and master the nuance. However do not make equipment choice a limiting factor in your development as a shooter or a competitor.

This was my first season shooting USPSA, and I shot only SSTK. Shooting single stack is definitely a challenge. My question is, how do you guys resist the urge from trying another division? I shot about 15 matches this season and I've got this crazy urge to purchase a limited setup for next season. I'm afraid it could be a never ending cycle!

If you are in it for fun, like me, do what is fun.

I do tend to stick with one thing for at least 6 mos, but will do steel or IDPA with s/t different like a .22, revo or a subcompact. Right now I am chasing A-class in Production, and have resolved to stay here until I make it. Then back to SS or L10.

For this game, I hold to the 1911/2011 platform. I've have other guns, but they're for fun and other disciplines.

I think the reason I've always stuck to this platform is because of the overall ease of assembly/disassembly, maintenance, parts availability and customizability of the platform. Not that other platforms don't offer these benefits, but the 1911/2011 platform seems to fit my preferences best.

I primarily shoot 1911's but recently got an M&P with a thumb safety to shoot in IDPA SSP and USPSA production. It works out pretty well as it's basically the same manual of arms with the thumb safety. I don't have to change my grip or worry about riding the slide stop in IDPA. I like shooting the plastic gun occasionally, but always go back to the 1911s.