Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need purchase advice

rjtmac

I have made the decision to go the reloading route.

With what limited knowledge I have, research has pointed me to the decision that if I am going to do this I am going with a progressive unit.

• Dillon XL650

Realizing this is the base price and I think there will be approximately another $600.00 give or take investment in dies and accessories I need help.

I will be reloading for a 45 ACP (Kimber), 380 Auto (Ruger) and a 38 Special Revolver (Smith & Wesson) to start with. Would like to also do 243 Rifle (Winchester) .

What are all of the components I need on initial purchase to be set up to do this ? I have read and read on this site and others and the more I read the more confused I become.

I have no benchmark or knowledge pool to draw from here.

Help and guidance please and thanks in advance....

http://www.brianenos.com/pages/dillonfaqs.html

+1, this is how and where I purchased mine. it is a pretty good spread of ammo you want to load small and large primer.

Caliber conversions with complete tool heads set up with dies and powder funnel is the way to go, makes it easy to switch from one to another caliber. You may also need a second primer system. Two things I am glad to have purchased extra are the strong mount and roller handle. The 650 is a great machine.

Two questions to think about:

1. how many rounds of each caliber are you planning on reloading/month or year?

As you mentioned, the 650 is expensive and requires large volumes to

pay for the machine.

I reload about 10,000 9mm's per year, and have a lot of spare time, so

I use a Square Deal, which is a lot cheaper than a 650.

2. how handy are you - the SD is really easy to use - from what I've read,

I don't believe I have the technical knowledge capability of getting a

650 up and running smoothly. If you're a handy guy, disregard this one...

You might set up, as an example, two SD's, for less than the cost of a 650,

and you won't have to switch calibers for your reloader - if most of your

reloading is for two calibers, you'll be all set to go.

Just a thought - depends on how handy you are and how much you reload vs

how much time you have on your hands.

Good luck,

Jack

If you follow the instructions that come with the machine and don't try to shortcut anything setting up a 650 is no problem at all. I would definately go with seperate complete toolheads for each caliber. If you do the change over between calibers will take aout 15 minutes or less. You cannot load rifle calibers with a Square Deal.

Talk to Brian, but I would not go the Square Deal Route. 1. They have proprietary dies. 2. It is not set up for rifle.

I would consider a 550 to start with. I have both the 550 and 650 and if I was just starting out, I would go with the 550. It is easier for a beginner to learn on, and it will do everything you want. If you find that you need to upgrade, they hold their value well.

My $.02

650 is not hard to set up if you know how to read instructions. Read them through before you even get the machine. Then as you set it up. Not that hard.

I have had a 550, 650 and LnL. 650/casefeeder will crank out ammo so fast you really don't spend much time actually loading. 550 no casefeeder is about 45% slower. Not a big deal but slower.

I have a Lee Classic Turret for my seldom used calibers. I load .380 and 10mm on it. I would load rifle on it as well. It's not nearly as fast as a 550. But it's passable for lower volume stuff. It's a easy press to use and caliber conversion are so cheap it laughable. $10 and a set of dies, your done.

Edited by 98sr20ve

I switched from a Lee Pro1000 to a 650 a few years back, and its been worth every penny. You can re-use your other dies in it, and once you get good, you can convert between calibers in a few minutes. The only problem will be all the extra toolheads with dies and powder measures on the shelf waiting their turn.

I think the RL550B is great for those who are getting into a progressive reloading! I never used the 650 so I can't. Comment on that ,but the 550 cranks out loads like nothing and that's not trying to load my ammo fast, so I can just imagine how many the 650 w/casefeeder can kick out. But that's my .02 I think it would be best to contact Brian and also get the conversin kits for the calibers you are reloading for it will speed things up and your reloading bench will be organized due to the tool head stands... don't forget to buy your supplies (bullets,primers,powders & brass)in bulk its somewhat cheaper good luck, have fun & be safe.. :cheers:

Edited by MARKAVELI

I agree, the 550 is much easier to learn on and you will make way less mistakes which means more properly loaded ammo to shoot in the end; I have a 650 and if I had to do it over, I would buy the 550.

Talk to Brian, but I would not go the Square Deal Route. 1. They have proprietary dies. 2. It is not set up for rifle.

I would consider a 550 to start with. I have both the 550 and 650 and if I was just starting out, I would go with the 550. It is easier for a beginner to learn on, and it will do everything you want. If you find that you need to upgrade, they hold their value well.

My $.02

If you get the dvd for the 650, you will be have no problem loading on a 650. I never loaded 1 round before buying mine last year, and it runs very smoothly. I also couldn't afford the whole package at first so I waited a few months to get the case feeder. I think starting without the casefeeder helped me also at first, because it was a slower process reloading and 1 less thing to worry about learning right from the beginning .

I'm probably about to roasted by all the blue people, but ...... :sight:

I have a Hornady LNL AP ... As good as a 650 imo and 1/2 the price. I load 9mm, 40, 45, 223 with it. My main caliber is 40 which is what I shoot the most of, so those dies are typically on it. Caliber changes are very easy due to the Hornady bushing system which works with all standard thread dies. And they give you free bullets when you buy it which is a nice touch. Just send the UPC and your receipt, they send you bullets for free.

I've got the bullet feeder and case feeder with it. 5 stations make it quite versatile. smooth operation and the priming system is great. Hornady support and warranty is top notch as well. Set up videos are on the Hornady YouTube channel. I had my iPad beside me watching as I set it all up.

That being said, my only gripe with the machine is the case feeder ... POS IMO ... Upside down cases, log jams at the top of the feed hopper, cases don't drop sometimes which strains the motor, and the roll pin through the motor shaft which spins the feed plate snapped on me today due to case jam. I rigged up a stronger one, so fine now, but the whole thing is crap in general.

Bullet feeder though is top notch .. Hornady hit that one out of the park .. The magic is the feed dies ... Double collet system so a bullet only drops when a case is there pushing on it. Great unit.

One thing about any press is that you do need some mechanical aptitude in general. Keep things shiny and clean and usually will have no issues.

I'm probably about to roasted by all the blue people, but ...... :sight:

I have a Hornady LNL AP ... As good as a 650 imo and 1/2 the price. ........................

That being said, my only gripe with the machine is the case feeder ... POS IMO ... Upside down cases, log jams at the top of the feed hopper, cases don't drop sometimes which strains the motor, and the roll pin through the motor shaft which spins the feed plate snapped on me today due to case jam. I rigged up a stronger one, so fine now, but the whole thing is crap in general.

Are you sure once everything extra is all added up your still at half price?

Never had 1 issue in 9000 rounds (knock on wood) with any part of the Dillon system

Are you sure once everything extra is all added up your still at half price?

Never had 1 issue in 9000 rounds (knock on wood) with any part of the Dillon system

Take into account the free bullets from Hornady (which I got for 4 sets of dies, the bullet feeder and the case feeder each) then yes, I would say 1/2 the price.

No other part of the machine has had a problem, just the case feeder ... junk ...

Had two 550's for a long time, twenty five years, sold one this year and purchased a 650. 650 is a quicker to run longer to set up machine. While the only thing wrong with it is, I waited too long to purchase it. The 550 is quicker to change over.

If your planning on short runs 500 to a 1000 rounds then swapping to another caliber then I would recommend you start with a 550. Longer runs the 650. Only purchase the 650 if your willing to go the whole route case feeder, strong mounts, need to be able to work under the machine because of automatic indexing. Roller handle is a nice option on either machine. The 550 will work fine bolted flat to a solid bench.

I load 30-06 and 223 on my 550 along with 45acp and 9mm, 38 super, 40S@W and 38 special on the 650.

While I am a huge fan of Dillon machines, I prefer other brands of dies. In my mind the use of other brands of dies is the plus for any of the machines other than the Square Deal. Here your stuck with only being able to use one kind of die and you won't load rifle calibers. Have an S_I in 40 S@W you'll want the Lee U die for the gun to run, just one example.

While I enjoy the 650, I would not be with out the 550. Can be used with RCBS collet bullet puller, de-prime rifle cases before swagging and a host of other uses.

While I know a few people that bought the Hornady LNL I've never run one or seen it run. Old saying if it's not broke don't fix it, just haven't had that many problems with Dillon and when you do they are Great to work with.

+1 - My thinking is along the same lines as HIGH POWER JACKs.

QUIZZZZ - are you gonna shoot in competition ??

If so you will probally end up shooting a 9MM and/or a .40S&W. Shooting a .45 cost a arm and leg now.

Which cal are you gonna shot the most ???

.45 - .380 - .38 SPEC - .243 Rifle is an odd mix will require 4 conversion kits and 4 sets of dies.

Maybe take a long look at a RL550B for quick change and simplicity then later on buy a 650 for speed the Cal. you are gonna use the most of.

I have two blue presses and two red presses on our bench, 550 set up for 9MM - 650 set uo for .40 S&Ws Never change them. Red Presses for .45 and odd stuff.

Grandsons and I shoot somewhere about every week, I shot about 100 or 150 every day it don't rain here.

If you shot a lot, there's a need for good equipment.

If you don't burn a lot of ammo, you can get by on less equipment.

Choose wisely,

Be Safe,

Perry

One point that I haven't noticed in the previous posts.

It's difficult to double charge a case on a 650. I can be done, but not easily.

However, with just a little bit of distraction, it can happen on a 550.

I know, I really do! Stop reloading if you are distracted. Then check everything before you restart again.

But, in reality, stuff happens and none of us are unfallible. :angry2:

Just my 1 cent worth.

Had two 550's for a long time, twenty five years, sold one this year and purchased a 650. 650 is a quicker to run longer to set up machine. While the only thing wrong with it is, I waited too long to purchase it. The 550 is quicker to change over.

If your planning on short runs 500 to a 1000 rounds then swapping to another caliber then I would recommend you start with a 550. Longer runs the 650. Only purchase the 650 if your willing to go the whole route case feeder, strong mounts, need to be able to work under the machine because of automatic indexing. Roller handle is a nice option on either machine. The 550 will work fine bolted flat to a solid bench.

I load 30-06 and 223 on my 550 along with 45acp and 9mm, 38 super, 40S@W and 38 special on the 650.

While I am a huge fan of Dillon machines, I prefer other brands of dies. In my mind the use of other brands of dies is the plus for any of the machines other than the Square Deal. Here your stuck with only being able to use one kind of die and you won't load rifle calibers. Have an S_I in 40 S@W you'll want the Lee U die for the gun to run, just one example.

While I enjoy the 650, I would not be with out the 550. Can be used with RCBS collet bullet puller, de-prime rifle cases before swagging and a host of other uses.

That most closely mirrors my thoughts on the 550 0r 650 topic. One thing I often say on the phone... From everything you've said, the 550 would be the perfect press to get started reloading with. So put a 550 on the bench and get started with it. Then maybe a year or two later, if you get serious enough to where you are shooting one or maybe two calibers around a couple thousand rounds/month, then dedicate a 650 to your high-volume caliber.

be

That most closely mirrors my thoughts on the 550 0r 650 topic. One thing I often say on the phone... From everything you've said, the 550 would be the perfect press to get started reloading with. So put a 550 on the bench and get started with it. Then maybe a year or two later, if you get serious enough to where you are shooting one or maybe two calibers around a couple thousand rounds/month, then dedicate a 650 to your high-volume caliber.

be

I purchased a 550 about 6 months ago as my first press. I have reloaded about 10,000 rounds and I feel like I have already outgrown my 550. The "game changer" for me is that I can use a case feeder for 223 on the 650. I already have a spot picked out for a 650 on my reloading bench!

post-34074-0-18419500-1319954365_thumb.j

Edited by cworks

be

+1

I bought a 550 for 45acp,38spk,357mag,223 and 9. Then a 650 for Major9.Then a second 650 for 40 for limited & SS