Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NEW Springfield TRP Problems. Need Help and Opinions.

sasquatch981

So I just bought a new Springfield TRP Armory Kote. I have not shot it yet, but in just handling it, I am slightly concerned. The pistol is really hard to rack the slide. Now I understand this is a tight fit, and has the standard recoil spring, but it is really difficult, and I am not a weenie. On all my other pistols, I noted that when the slide is empty (no barrel, bushing, etc) the slide should fit on the frame and if properly oiled, when the frame is held at a 45-degree angle backwards the slide should ease back towards the rear as if in recoil. My STI’s all did/do this, my Kimber does, and even my Caspian .22.

However when I put the slide on the TRP first I have to fit/tap the slide to get it started, and then it jams in place, it will not slide when the frame is tipped, and must be “pulled” gently rearwards.

I don’t think this is normal, and want to make sure of this before I shoot it or call SA. I don’t want to mess anything up before I may need to send it back to Springfield. Has anyone else ever had a problem like this with a TRP, and if so what did you do? Did you send it back to Springfield, did it work in after a few hundred rounds? Whats the deal with corn-nuts?

Any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Shoot a couple of hundred rounds through it. If it does not perform to your liking, call up Springfield customer service. They are great!

My Loaded model shot a little low at 25 yards. They replaced the barrel, refit the slide to frame, did a trigger job (I stated I thought it was a bit heavy), then, when all that was done and it still shot low on the test target, they replaced the front sight... It was almost like getting a custom shop gun for the price of a base model... The gun was back in my hands in 9 or 10 days... Overall, it was a great customer service experience....

I noted that when the slide is empty (no barrel, bushing, etc) the slide should fit on the frame and if properly oiled, when the frame is held at a 45-degree angle backwards the slide should ease back towards the rear as if in recoil.

If it's like that when it's brand new then it's not tight enough.

Sounds like you got a good tightly fit gun. Put 500+ rounds through it and see what it's like then. If it runs 100% then you're golden.

since I can't tell how tight yours is, I can't say it is normal. However my long dust cover armory kote trp form back when was pretty tight until it wore through the armory kote on the frame rails. The coating is pretty thick. Felt like it was cycling on bearings for a while. Now it's jsut a rattle trap at the rear. Still shoots ok though.

since I can't tell how tight yours is, I can't say it is normal. However my long dust cover armory kote trp form back when was pretty tight until it wore through the armory kote on the frame rails. The coating is pretty thick. Felt like it was cycling on bearings for a while. Now it's jsut a rattle trap at the rear. Still shoots ok though.

Yeah, that armory kote finish is really thick but it's fairly tough.

I have a TRP, yes it was like yours, just shoot it. It's one of the tightest fitting guns I have and one of my favorites. You'll get use to racking the slide, it'll be easier with use.

Ditto. After an initial 300 rounds I cleaned the gun, and the next time I shot some remington green and orange boxed ammo and the slide wouldn't return to battery after 80 or so rounds. I cleaned and shot some cleaner ammo and after 3oo rounds it was still going fine. The TRPs are so tight, they don't tolerate too much. I usually oil my gun but on the rails I use grease.

Edited by Gadgetech

A good tight, slide to frame fit is a good thing. Why dont you change out the MSH and get a lighter mainspring in there and also the recoil spring. My Wilson Combat was the same way and it made it much easier by dropping a 16 lb recoil spring in it

My TRP was and is tight. I love the way it shoots and is very accurate. Why dont you just run some rounds through it and see what happens.

Even though my gun is tight it shoot everything I have fed it.

Mine was really tight at first. I had a couple of failures to feed the first 50 rounds. I now have run about 3k with no problems. Shoot it if thers a problem Springfied will fix it with no questions asked. Thats why i own 5 springfield 1911s

• 4 weeks later...

I have one and have put some 300 rounds thru it. It is hard to rack, but smooth. Very tight and very smooth. I've been thinking about replacing the main spring with a lighter one. Anyone have thoughts on this?

I bought somebody's safe queen AK TRP. So far it's been flawless for 1500 rounds.

I replaced the ILS spring and plunger with a 19# Wilson spring and Colt-style plunger. It works but I get light primer hits. I'll go to a 23# standard spring next time I'm ordering stuff. Wolff also makes lighter springs for use with the ILS plunger.