Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow/75/SP-01 Grips

Racer377

I'm thinking I'd like to replace the rubber grips on my shadow, but undecided as to which route to go. The cocobolo look great, but how good is the grip surface? I'd imagine somewhat less "sticky" than grip tape or rubber.

What about the checkered aluminum? They look like they might be a bit too much!

Where does G10 fall in terms of grip?

For me.

wood grips are not checkered aggressive enough..still a little slip where my weakhand palm is on the grip.

the aluminum are pretty good with grip tape. the checker pattern with the aggressive checker is sharp. but there is a couple of spots the grip where there is no pattern and again where my weakhand palm is so it slip without adding grip tape

The VZ g10 grips have a good pattern, aggressive enough checkering that it sticks in my hand and a good contour that is thin enough.

it's tough without knowing your hands. i found everything to be very slippery except the factory rubber and aluminum grip tape. i never tried the g10s yet. so, i voted for the only thing i know that grips, the grip tape. some people swear by the g10s though.

Well, medium-ish sized hands, maybe bigger. I wear an XL alpine stars or dainese glove for riding, just as reference. I'm a desk jockey, and the only callouses I have are from deadlifting. Personally, I think the Gen4 Glock grip is just about right in terms of how sharp/aggressive it is.

The factory rubber grips feel pretty good in terms of thickness and grippy-ness, but I haven't tried anything else on the CZ just yet.

OK, i'm gonna be the odd one here. My hands are fairly large and the AL grips were too narrow for me. Just wasn't enough surface bor my weak hand to get a good grip on because my strong hand took up most real estate. I tried the VZ grips and they worked ok, you might like them, but what I found to work for me is the Cocobolo grip on strong or right side and the AL grip with grip tape on it for the weak or left side. Sounds weird but gave me more surface for both hands to hold on to and the gun fits better and sights align better. My .02 cents.

Bought a set of the thin aluminum w/ tape grips off a friend who didn't think they were aggressive enough. He purchased the aggressive waffle checkered aluminum grips from CZ Custom and thinks they are too aggressive.

Putting grip tape on the front and back straps makes a pretty big difference as well.

Another thing you might want to consider is maybe swapping out the safeties to the higher-riding 85 Combat type safeties... changes the grip-feel of the guns a whole lot (probably more so than thinner/thicker grips even). While they work for many, having gone to the 85-types I cannot stand how the lower 75SA/Shadow safeties feel now, the higher-riding ones work better for getting my thumb up and out of the way of my support-hand and allowed the thinner grips to work awesome for me when I previously thought they were too thin with the original safeties on there.

(P.S. - I'm also an XL motorcycle glove, and the VZ grips + the higher safeties fit my hands like the grip was tailored for me.)

Another thing you might want to consider is maybe swapping out the safeties to the higher-riding 85 Combat type safeties... changes the grip-feel of the guns a whole lot (probably more so than thinner/thicker grips even). While they work for many, having gone to the 85-types I cannot stand how the lower 75SA/Shadow safeties feel now, the higher-riding ones work better for getting my thumb up and out of the way of my support-hand and allowed the thinner grips to work awesome for me when I previously thought they were too thin with the original safeties on there.

(P.S. - I'm also an XL motorcycle glove, and the VZ grips + the higher safeties fit my hands like the grip was tailored for me.)

Do you ride the safety, or thumb under?

These are the ones I am liking most so far. The texture is about perfect and the larger surface area of texture vs the grip tape ones makes a big dif. I used to end up putting grip tape completely over most of my older grips and would have to replace it every once in a while. I don't have to worry about it with this bonded texture.

I also agree with blind bat about grip tape on the front and back strap making a huge difference. In fact, I find it helps me more then the grips.

Thin ALU on my Shadow Custom

Couldn't find the ALU grips i wanted for my Witness Match so i took a Dremil, flat and rat tail files and made a set of custom fit grips out of the factory thick rubber grips(these are your takeoffs you can't find or on the shelf some place after you went with ALU). Cut finger grooves on one side and flattened the palm side. There not the best looking set of grips i've ever seen but they funtion well. The gun and your hand are one piece.

The below-linked long, arched aluminum grips are my favorite. They are about 1.3" wide measured screw-to-screw and have a contoured/convex grip surface. I have L/XL sized hands and find that convex surface yields the best grip. See post #1 of this linked thread.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=132350&st=0&p=1518496&hl=family&fromsearch=1entry1518496

• 1 month later...

I picked up a Shadow Target Custom and I REALLY like the cocobolo grips. I have been using the VZ grips, which I also like, but the extra thickness on these seems like it fits my hand a bit better. The VZs are more aggressive, but maybe too thin? And the cocobolos sure are pretty! :P I'm very tempted to order another pair to put on the other Shadow once it comes back from the refinisher.

These are the ones I am liking most so far. The texture is about perfect and the larger surface area of texture vs the grip tape ones makes a big dif. I used to end up putting grip tape completely over most of my older grips and would have to replace it every once in a while. I don't have to worry about it with this bonded texture.

I also agree with blind bat about grip tape on the front and back strap making a huge difference. In fact, I find it helps me more then the grips.

ive been thinking about getting those, kinda expensive tho. does it seem like the texture will hold up awhile? also does it seem that they are based on the thin AL grips or the regular?