Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do you prepare for a match when the temp is only 10 degrees

West Texas Granny

Use a "light" lube.

Don't use Clays powder (cold temp. drops velocity)

Dress in layers

Have hand warmers in pockets

Wear yellow tinted glasses (works best for snow blowing sideways)

Bring Golf cart with propane heater on board

Forget about picking up your brass

Hope that not too many shooter show up, so you get done quicker

Or

Stay in bed...

Get up, poke fire into life.

Make coffee, look at bottles of rum, bourbon and scotch, hang head in shame, and add the Frangelico

Decide its not safe to shoot, having been "under the influence," start on hot chocolate and cookies...

I have not shot in temps that low, but close a time or two. Followed many of the suggestions here, including ditching big coat and gloves long enough to shoot, then put it back on. Quickly I might add. Hand-warmers are a great idea and I keep them in the shooting bag in cold weather months so I can't forget to bring them to the match and extras for the friends that do. Usually leave brass if teeth are chattering. I consider it an acceptable loss. 10 degree weather will tell you fairly quickly if the manufacturers claims for whatever brand of insulated's are true or not. :D And if you have to much grease/oil in your particular weapon you will find out soon enough. It is a great way to check out gear for functioning in adverse conditions.

The coldest 3-gun shoot I have attended was -27 degrees at the start and warmed up to about -15 by the end of the day.

Heavy layers with good base layer. Hat and gloves or mittens with handwarmers inside pockets. Remove heavy outer wear for shooting, and put back on when done. Stages were kept short to protect shooters hands from frostbite from handling cold metal, and for firearm safety reasons.

Burning barrels at each stage were a nice touch.

We were lucky to have a windless sunny day or it could have gotten uncomfortable.

Never shot in 10 degrees either and I don't think I'd want to. Anyway...when it gets cold around here, put a couple of those handwarmers in your hat, it helps a lot. Oh, I don't use gloves, I have one of those muffs (?) like the football players use, with a couple handwarms.

We have a guy up here in VT that would still be in shorts and a sweat shirt, A couple of others in Kilts sometimes!!! Ain't cold up here until that 10 degrees is on the bottom side of zero. Besides, the 4-5ft snow keeps the wind down and makes fault lines unnecessary!!!

Last year I went to Phoenix to visit my sister for couple weeks, I stayed for 45 Days shot every club i could find (and their are a lot of great clubs) when i ran out of bullets (2-K) I came back to Pittsburgh, This year

I'm taking more bullets. That"s the best way to prepare for 10 degrees I can think of..roflol.gif

Cold I can deal with. Layers. Layers. Layers.

But wind ? no thanks. Life is too short to be miserable. unless we are talking about duck hunting and then it is just part of the experience.:)

Edited by warpspeed