Single Stack Build - 40 S&W or 45 ACP?

lvipscshooter

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to build one in 40cal

Pros for me:

I load a lot of 40 for limited so the machines spend more time on 40 cal.

40 bullets cost less.

Cons:

40 cal in SS is harder to get the timing right, so it may take a while to get the gun to run perfect.

40 parts are a little harder to find (sometimes)

40 S&W is the way to go. I shoot a single stack custom Colt in SS & L-10 using 155gr.HB RN Berry Plated bullets, 5.0gr. Titegroup, 1.128 OAL, AVG PF 170.22. Very accurate and a little snappy but I love it and it's much cheaper than .45ACP. And if you are already set-up for 40 S&W why buy a .45ACP. I use Tripp 10mm mags. The Tripp 40 S&W mags can sometime cause feeding problems whereas the 10mm eliminate those problems. Also I have a non-ramped barrel.

post-14994-0-98394100-1318104044_thumb.j

Edited by 40S&W

Instead of looking at ammo costs in terms of 1k to 3k count, try computing your cost difference per match. Around here, our Saturday matches are usually about 125 rounds or less. So, I sat down one day and figured out that it cost me an extra $3.50 to shoot .45ACP vs. 9mm on a typical 125 round match day.

I'll gladly give up the extra $3.50 for major scoring and a round that runs the most reliably in the 1911 platform.

Instead of looking at ammo costs in terms of 1k to 3k count, try computing your cost difference per match. Around here, our Saturday matches are usually about 125 rounds or less. So, I sat down one day and figured out that it cost me an extra $3.50 to shoot .45ACP vs. 9mm on a typical 125 round match day.

I'll gladly give up the extra $3.50 for major scoring and a round that runs the most reliably in the 1911 platform.

Why would you compute those per match, do you only shoot one match a year?

I shoot a 45, runs 100 percent less recoil. 1000 , 200 gr LFN cost 60 bucks, primers cost the same. All my 45 acp rounds work great in all my other 1911's & my revolvers too.

Mind sharing your 45 acp load data? Powder? Grains? OAL?

Why would you compute those per match, do you only shoot one match a year?

I am lucky enough to live in a geographic area that allows me to shoot either USPSA or IDPA at least every Saturday of a month. So, my monthly round count is about 400-500 rounds. I offered my per match ammo cost analysis for those that may be on the fence between shooting minor or shooting major. If shooting major only costs $3.50 extra for the match day, some folks may view the extra $3.50 as trivial up against the typical $15.00 match entry fee to shoot a local match.

Sure, when you look at the cost difference when figuring a 1k plus reloading components order, the difference does look more intimidating that way. The cost difference in reload components between minor and major actually ends up a much smaller percentage of the total costs of our shooting hobby than what one would suspect when you factor in how many match entry fees you will spend as you consume those components.

• 1 month later...

No one has mentioned that scoring advatages of the bigger hole in the paper target when it come to shots on the perfs. Guess it's just me who thinks that is an advantage.

The 4 minutes swtiching the press over isn't a big deal for me.

I agree with this statement, but there is a flip side. "If I was shooting 40 I wouldn't have caught the perf on that damn no shoot!!" :roflol:

I appreciate everyones input on this. I still haven't purchased a gun yet. I have a friend that let me use his 45 for a short time, and I think it just cycles a little too slow for me. I am used to the quick slide speed of my Open and the quick and snappy slide speed of my Limited guns.

Edited by lvipscshooter

If you're already set up in one caliber and want to go the one caliber-all guns route I'd say the .40 just on nominal cost of components. Performance-wise I'm not sure your typical B to D class shooter is going to see much difference (C in both SS and L-10, by the way). I would set up the .40 SS with 10mm mags and long loaded .40's just to have the ammo be more compatible with the Limited set-up.

Single Stack is a class to acknowledge IPSC's roots, so for true tradition the .45 ACP would have to be favored. By my calculations, a 230 grain bullet pushed at 720fps makes 165.6 power factor. For the recoil conscious, if I remember correctly, this is slower than NRA bullseye loads. Sure this pushes the edge of PF but if you're like me you only shoot in one place these days so once the load is set, you're good to go. I'm pretty sure experimenting with recoil/mainspring combos would bring the cycling speed up to where you would want it.

Since I live in an Everything-10 state there actually can be a debate on double versus single stacked based platforms. I find I'm gravitating towards single stacked platforms for all divisions except Production (being a member of the 1911 Single Stack Elitist Club precludes plastic guns anyway). Right now the .40 is set up for L-10 (bull barrel) and the .45 for Single Stack is essentially the same as when I first started shooting IPSC, (geez that was 1984) except that it has an adjustable rear sight now. Someday I'll get around to reassembling/setting up the old Colt .38 Super Open gun that's laying in pieces in a bucket.

Personally I think the greater debate would be between setting up a Single Stack in .38 Super/9mm versus .40/.45 rather than between .40 and .45. Are you or can you get good enough to take advantage of the two extra rounds and shoot A's?

I apologize for the thread drift.

Ok. Here i go. I am thinking SS 9mm I am new to uspsa. I do shoot bullseye 1911 .45. I though i would go production but cant settle on a gun iam not a plastic guy. So i though SS 9mm. I know its scored minor that ok with me. I will be in it for the game. And SS to me is the same as production its 10 rounds just a 1911 gun. Does this make sense.

• 1 month later...

I've shot both and found the 40 to have a bit sharper recoil, different, not bad but some guys do not like it. The split times from one to the other was too close to call a winner. In the end I would go with what you have the gear for. If you are starting from scratch then go the 45. If it was good enough for the winner of the 2011 Single Stack Nationals its good enough for me.

• 5 months later...

Well I have both and enjoy shooting both. The cost of loading each is negligible (Unless your a GM shooting more than the avg joe each year), the difference in holes on paper is only 0.050 (negligible) and lastly takes only a few minutes to set up from one caliber to the next. Shoot both and then pick the one you like the best. "Not hatin just sayin"

JMHO :cheers:

No one has mentioned that scoring advatages of the bigger hole in the paper target when it come to shots on the perfs. Guess it's just me who thinks that is an advantage.

The 4 minutes swtiching the press over isn't a big deal for me.

I agree with this statement, but there is a flip side. "If I was shooting 40 I wouldn't have caught the perf on that damn no shoot!!" :roflol:

When I shoot a no-shoot, I don't catch the perf. I hit 'em right between the eyes. :unsure:

I too have sought after the one ammo for every gun. It makes things so simple, if you can get the 40 SS to run reliably. I just had a Caspian built up this year by Hunter in Clearwater, Fl and it runs great. I don't see much of a cost savings even for the 20k+ rounds a year I shoot and I am faster with the .45 too. Also, I seem to manage the .45 recoil better with those heavy 230gr bear creek FP bullets. I love the .45 but I'm trying to get used to the .40.

• 3 months later...

I vote for the 45acp. I have a .40 for a limited/L10 tanfoglio,....38 super for OPen, and a couple of 9mm's for Production. IN the end...I won't likely shoot more than 1500-2000rds of .45 ammo a year, as I mostly shoot production and whore around in Open and standard divisions. I will sell off my brass and buy 45 in bulk. This is going to be my first 1911,..so it just felt right to get a .45. I went with an STI Lawman with magwell and tritium sights. Just debating on which mags to get..CM, Wilson47D's or ETM's.

Edited by Mo Hepworth

I have a Trojan 45. Very accurate. Been back to STI numerous times.

I have a Tripp built 40 S&W with Tripp magazines. I never had an issue with reliability. NEVER.

The 45 Trojan sits in the safe or goes on road trips. Road trips because I really don't care if it gets stolen. I never shoot it anymore.

The Tripp built 40 is a great shooter. I have shot SSNat, WSSSC, and Area 2 with it.

I have a SV 40 being built by Kodiak Precision. 40 S&W is the only way I will go with a Single Stack. If by some odd happenstance, I do another caliber it will be 9mm.