Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

appropriated banquet dress

walter hornby

The men should take a tip from the ladies and put some effort into the banquet. Please don't be the guy that shows up in your Techwear shirt. :rolleyes:

Somebody PLEASE order a TW shirt that looks like the 70's teeshirt that looked like a tuxedo!

The men should take a tip from the ladies and put some effort into the banquet. Please don't be the guy that shows up in your Techwear shirt. :rolleyes:

Somebody PLEASE order a TW shirt that looks like the 70's teeshirt that looked like a tuxedo!

I REALLY REALLY REALLY WISH that i would have read this when i had time to order one. I need to get on here more than i have been. woulda been AWESOME!

thanks all. i am going to be doing most of my packing Sunday as we are leaving Wednesday at noon. for our Canadian Nationals we do encourage people to dress up. A suit and tie is not out of the ordinary. Since i am flying back (partner is staying to shoot the limited match) i am trying to keep my suitcase size down. I now know what to pack.

"...shirt that looks like the 70's teeshirt that looked like a tuxedo."

I actually had/have one of those. I think it's still packed away in my extensive (humongous) collection of radio/music industry t-shirts. I actually wore the "tuxedo" tee to a thanksgiving dinner once. :D

It doesn't happen at USPSA, but you should check out the Bianchi Cup awards dinner. Coat and tie for the men is required. USPSA -- be comfortable.

See you there Walter, I'm flying in on Wednesday and I'm staying at the match hotel. A nice golf shirt and Slacks/khakis will not be out of place, and if its like last year its not really a banquet...just a gathering in a big room to see the winners and wait for the prize table line.

• 2 weeks later...

Girls always look for any reason to get dressed up, even something like USPSA. It has absolutely no air of something that one would dress nice for. It's entire vibe would need to change for me to wear anything but shorts and Berks to.

Really the awards for the National Championship SHOULD be a CLASS affair. Shooting shirts, T-Shirts, shorts, sandals, etc, should NOT be the common attire that it is. I would really like to see a dinner where people dress up, Jackets and ties. A little decorum. We should make the effort to respect the winners.

One thing that would go a long way would be to have the Awards, Prize table and Dinner go off on time. I have not been to a Nationals since Tulsa but I have not seen a truly proper ceremony. Both we the shooters and the leadership need to step up. This should be an affair that were it to be photographed for other than Front Sight would not embarrass us. We should hope to be on Television News some day and not only on the Outdoor Network.

We could even start by having a decent opening ceremony. Maybe if we had one large Nationals where all divisions were represented and had more days and more shooters?

Really the awards for the National Championship SHOULD be a CLASS affair. Shooting shirts, T-Shirts, shorts, sandals, etc, should NOT be the common attire that it is. I would really like to see a dinner where people dress up, Jackets and ties. A little decorum. We should make the effort to respect the winners.

We could even start by having a decent opening ceremony. Maybe if we had one large Nationals where all divisions were represented and had more days and more shooters?

That is something IPSC does do well-- the pomp and circumstance around Opening and Closing Ceremonies (though those have dressed-down of late. The first one I went to, I was hiding in a corner since I didn't have at least a coat and tie. Last year suits were only worn by the top officials :()

One thing that would go a long way would be to have the Awards, Prize table and Dinner go off on time. I have not been to a Nationals since Tulsa but I have not seen a truly proper ceremony. Both we the shooters and the leadership need to step up. This should be an affair that were it to be photographed for other than Front Sight would not embarrass us. We should hope to be on Television News some day and not only on the Outdoor Network.

Planning an event takes a ton of work, and clearly an opening ceremony is secondary to a well-run match. If time and money are scarce, then they should be spent on the actual match - I think everyone would agree with that.

However, I must say it was strange to see how late the awards ceremony was running. It was well over an hour late getting started when I took off. Congrats to the winners, and I hope the prize table was worth it for anyone who stuck around.

Maybe the solution is to have people volunteer to run the awards ceremony? I'm sure there are some competitors and / or their significant others who would enjoy it, and it would take some of the load off the already overly-taxed match staff.

Jim, you're assuming the winners actually care what you're wearing. :blink:

They seem much to preoccupied with eachother...