Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bending shotgun barrel to POA

Jin

I have an M2 (21 inch ribbed barrel) that i would like to bend to match the point of aim. Shooting 12 inches high at 50 yards is not too bad since i raised the front sight, but shooting 6 inches to the left is a bit annoying.

So i found the below post by TRUBL...and if i understand this correctly, the force of impact of the barrel at mid point will cause the rest of the barrel to bend in the direction of the wooden object. my question is how hard am i swinging? I noticed the M2 ribbed barrel has pretty thin walls...and don't want to #$%@# it up. swinging with all my strength? swinging enough to break a water mellon with it?

any other hints/pointers would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Take the barrel off.....get a 2x4 on edge, securly mounted to a table and at the mid point take a samuri swing with barrel in both hands; and smash the barrel on the 2x4.

One way or another.....problem solved.

As funny and dumb as it sounds......I've seen gun smiths do this, when they didn't have a barrel bender to move the POI of trap barrels.

Oh....did I mention this is an art? Normally done out of view of the customer.

And have you ever gone into an old gunsmiths shop that had that 8x8 upright pole that supports the roof and notice the half round dings in them? About the size of a shotgun barrel??

Seriously, if you can't raise the front sight....get taller front sights. Or find a smith with a shotgun barrel bender....a real one. Seems like you have more than one to do.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You try it first.

I'm no gunsmith, but you'd have no way of knowing how much you're going to bend the barrel.

If this is true, then it is DEFINITELY an art. Something the gunsmith had to try many many times to get just right. I'll be following this thread.

You try it first.

i am afraid to...but will give it a try sooner or later.

in the meantime...i have painted a rear windage sight that shoots dead on; but lining the sight up feels forced/un-natural to me.

m2_2865.jpg

So how is bending the barrel going to change the poi to poa if you use a front/rear sight? Wont the front sight be moved along with the barrel bending???

I would just put a 1022 rear sight in the rib and line it up with poi...or install an XS front/rear...

.jj

Kentucky Windage is so much safer/easier.

I wouldn't do it - memorize the sight picture for POA/POI. Heck, draw it if you have to and look at it before a slug stage.

Edited by DyNo!

I have a Benny gun that I bought second hand. When I first got it it shot real high left for me. The natural poa was off. I was seeing the top of the barrel everytime I shouldered it.

I emailed Benny and he told me to get a shim kit from benelli and adjust the poi like that. Changed the shotgun from something I couldn't shoot to a tack driver for a 20(?) bucks.

I have a Benny gun that I bought second hand. When I first got it it shot real high left for me. The natural poa was off. I was seeing the top of the barrel everytime I shouldered it.

I emailed Benny and he told me to get a shim kit from benelli and adjust the poi like that. Changed the shotgun from something I couldn't shoot to a tack driver for a 20(?) bucks.

Which Shim worked for you? (B, C)

I just changed from B to C and it made a big difference on my shot pattern. Everything was very high. Now I have about 60% of pellets above POA and 40% below.

Which Shim worked for you? (B, C)

I just changed from B to C and it made a big difference on my shot pattern. Everything was very high. Now I have about 60% of pellets above POA and 40% below.

I believe I put a C? Whichever was the most dramatic angle.

Jin, I did one a few months back with good success, it is a bit scary to be whacking it. I started softly and built up swing speed gradually, i also did it at the range so i could reassemble and check poi ever time. it went from being 10-12 inches left at 50 to dead center, from 25 out to 100.

Trapr

I've seen several trap gun barrels bent over a bag of shot on someone's tailgate. It works for a while. Eventually they straighten themselves out. And it looks sort of strange, the bend is usually pretty noticeable. I don't know much about Benelli shotguns, but if it has screw in chokes, you can send it to a good choke company and they will bore an off center choke tube.

I've seen several trap gun barrels bent over a bag of shot on someone's tailgate. It works for a while. Eventually they straighten themselves out. And it looks sort of strange, the bend is usually pretty noticeable. I don't know much about your M2 shotgun, but if it has screw in chokes, you can send it to a good choke company and they will bore an off center choke tube.

Jin, I did one a few months back with good success, it is a bit scary to be whacking it. I started softly and built up swing speed gradually, i also did it at the range so i could reassemble and check poi ever time. it went from being 10-12 inches left at 50 to dead center, from 25 out to 100.

Trapr

great news bigbrowndog...will have to reserve some time to give this a try.

It appears that you have a barrel clamp. Does it shoot the same without it ?

yes sir...same with or without clamp.

Oh yeah....it's an art. And not for the faint of heart. I've done it before....and yeah it seems so wrong, but it works.

2x4 on edge......bag of shot is actually better, but the 2x4 will work.

Who do ya think told trapr how to do that? He did it right though....started out light and worked up.

Never have seen a barrel go back, after it's been bent.....they pretty much stay where you put them.

Tim

• 5 months later...

Hey guys I know im digging up a old post but I am having the same exact problem. I figured add on to this rather than start a new one.

So I do have a bag of shot what is the process of bending this barrel. I take the barrel and bend it im guessing towards the chamber end? middle? still a bit lost on the specfics.

Bending barrels is definitely an art, but it is for real. Do a search at trapshooters.com. A few of the old pros swore by a good forked tree trunk near their shop door(and they have pics of the worn trees). I might try a Stevens single shot one day, but these guys would bend a barrel from a Perazzi.