Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

best budget 1911

countryboy223

i am new to shooting sports and also want to try to compete in single stack. what 1911 gives you the best bang for your buck right out of the box. i have looked at the kimber customs and they look pretty good. are there any better 1911"s out there for the price? im looking at around 1000 dollars as my limit.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would look at the STI Trojan great gun for price and easily customizable. If you are looking to spend a little more (maybe a lot) check out the Les Baers top end guns for not as high of a price as the nighthawks or Wilsons.

The Trophy matches are up there past 1k. If you can afford it the Les Bear lines are pretty damn good for the price. If I had 1k to spend though I would try to find somebody that knows what to look for and go looking for a Springfield Range Officer or a Spartan. On the Spartan make sure you look it over sometimes they are hit and miss with fit.

RIA tactical. send it to a smith and let them do their magic. for $900 you will have a gun that rivals $3000 customs. there is a target version too.

just curious... hope the op will not mind. What kind of work will you have done with a RIA Tac base?

Thanks!

The Taurus is a piece of junk.

The Spartan is an exceptional value.

The Springfield Range Officer is overpriced and lacks a number of the features I'd expect to see at its price point.

And the Spartan requires no break in shooting. I bought one on a Friday, lubed it, and shot a match with it the next day.

what are the differences between the spartan and the trojan and are they worth the differences in price?

The Trojan has frontstrap STIpling and a ramped barrel. It is also 100% Made in the USA by STI.

The Spartan is a Philippine-made gun with an STI hammer, sear, disconnector, trigger, and adjustable rear sight. It does not have a ramped barrel in 9mm or .45 (both of the calibers it's offered in).

I wouldn't buy the Trojan at its price point. I'd much rather have a TRP or one of the STIs that have the frontstrap checkered (and possibly spend a little more).

As I stated before, though, the Spartan is such an excellent value. I'm very happy with mine.

what are the differences between the spartan and the trojan and are they worth the differences in price?

From my research, the main differences are:

Spartan:

Cast Steel Frame

Parkerized Finish

Un-ramped Barrel

Bare Front Strap

Trojan:

Forged Steel Frame

Blued Finish

Ramped Barrel

"Chainlink" type stippling/checkering on Front Strap

Undercut Trigger Guard

Higher Quality Wood Grips

There is also the discussion about the Spartans main components being made/fit in the Phillipines and Finished/Quality Controlled by STI. I personally have a Spartan and fit and finish is great for the price. For what its worth, I also put more than the $300 price difference into my Spartan after the fact due to personal preference(VZ grips, Dawson Magwell, Extended Mag Release, etc.) so weigh any improvements you may require not just the base price.

Edited by bhurte

I also have positive things to say about the Spartan. Got my dad one chambered in 9mm this past Christmas and we have been extremely impressed with it. No, it's not pretty, but the slide to frame fit is exceptional and it feels like "snot on glass" when you rack the slide. It's accurate too!

From my research, the main differences are:

Spartan:

Cast Steel Frame

Parkerized Finish

Un-ramped Barrel

Bare Front Strap

Trojan:

Forged Steel Frame

Blued Finish

Ramped Barrel

"Chainlink" type stippling/checkering on Front Strap

Undercut Trigger Guard

Higher Quality Wood Grips

There is also the discussion about the Spartans main components being made/fit in the Phillipines and Finished/Quality Controlled by STI. I personally have a Spartan and fit and finish is great for the price. For what its worth, I also put more than the $300 price difference into my Spartan after the fact due to personal preference(VZ grips, Dawson Magwell, Extended Mag Release, etc.) so weigh any improvements you may require not just the base price.

The Trojan also has a cast frame, not that that’s a bad thing. All the sti frames with undercut trigger guards are cast.

I spent $300 on a used Norinco POS. Spent $300 on gunsmithing. Shoot round nose bullets. CHEAP, reliable, and fun!

I'm right there with you :-)

But I'm a glutton for punishment and left the stock sights on it.

The Ruger SR1911 is the best for the buck. People are having a hard time finding them. I bought one early and use it in competition with not one single problem. The STI Spartan, Springfield Range Officer, and RIA are definately in the same price range but the Ruger has a better fit and finish over the others. Made in America and stainless.

In the $1,000 range, I would go with the STI Trojan over any other. Best bang for the buck in the 1K range.