Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.45 or .40

Mike21STI

Definitely .40 if you are shooting Limited so that you can maximize the mag capacity.

If you are thinking L-10, though, it doesn't matter that much. I was surprised by how much less recoil I felt and how much less muzzle flip there was while shooting .45 on my L-10 rig as compared to .40. I had swapped slides and magazines for a couple of matches because I was low on .40 but had a ton of .45. This was with a Tanfoglio, and not a 2011. Slides on these guns are much lighter than 1911/2011 slides.

I went through this question a few years ago. I almost settled on 45 in Limited. Since most shooting areas require a max of 9 rounds, I did not think i would be at a disadvantage. It did not take long for me to dispel that logic. I went .40, then switched my SS to .40. Pretty hard for me to find any reason to shoot my 45 anymore.

I'm 64+ YO and not the best eyesight in the world! I have been shooting a Para P14 for years. I recently bought a P16 JFTHOI and tried it for a few matches. Like the .40 a lot but on the longer shots .45 holes are easier for me to see. I like to think I call my shots OK but prefer to see the holes sometimes.

FWIW

Richard

Thanks for all the feedback, from my experience I had always liked the recoil of the .45 better than the .40 so I wanted to get a consensus as to what the majority did. I had also heard that people have feeding issues with the .40's so I wasn't sure if the .45 fed better with the double stack than the .40. I plan on starting the game in limited so it seems that .40 will be the way to go. Now I have to work on getting that reloading press up and running.

If I want to go L-10 I can just use my single stack and use the 10 round mags, right?

I appreciate the info.

If you're asking then you want your double stack in .40 You could run a .45 in IDPA CDP. Unless that's a concern buy a .40

sounds good it looks like I'll be getting the .40 for limited, if I run in CDP I'll use my 1911. I guess the question now is Dawsons or Brazos?