Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA Rules Regarding Shoes

Louis Walker

Someone made the comment at a USPSA match that you have to use the same shoes you start with for the entirety of a match. Is this true? It seams that if I started out using a running shoe but then there is a downpour it should be acceptable for me to change to a more aggressive shoe (potentially a molded cleat) for safety purposes. I can't find a concrete answer and I tried several different searches of the current USPSA rule book.

Thanks!

Someone made the comment at a USPSA match that you have to use the same shoes you start with for the entirety of a match. Is this true? It seams that if I started out using a running shoe but then there is a downpour it should be acceptable for me to change to a more aggressive shoe (potentially a molded cleat) for safety purposes. I can't find a concrete answer and I tried several different searches of the current USPSA rule book.

Thanks!

First ... How far would we want to carry the analogy? Should we have to wear the same underwear and socks? (Just being silly, but you get my point.) I'm not aware of any requirement to wear the same footwear for the entire match. The only requirement is for "equipment," or more specifically, the gun and holster.

Second ... I remember some years back shooting with someone in VA, on a regular basis, who would always shoot the match BAREFOOT!

Someone made the comment at a USPSA match that you have to use the same shoes you start with for the entirety of a match. Is this true?

Not true.

Second ... I remember some years back shooting with someone in VA, on a regular basis, who would always shoot the match BAREFOOT!

I know that guy.

:cheers: Wow, does this really even need to be discussed, F!@#$%^&*( DUH!

I think somone needs to ask Amidon for a ruling :ph34r: - you know, just to be sure!

I'd sure hate to get bumped to open for using "prototype" shoes!! :devil:

Edited by sfinney

I think somone needs to ask Amidon for a ruling :ph34r: - you know, just to be sure!

I would love to here his reply. :devil:

I know for a fact my shoes fit the box they came in!

I know for a fact my shoes fit the box they came in!

Just don't squeeze them to fit! (And NEVER, EVER pass them under a wall) :devil:

The applicable rule to give the correct answer if presented with this again is :

5.2.5.3 Unless specified in the written stage briefing, or unless required

by a Range Officer, the position of holsters and allied equipment

must not be moved or changed by a competitor during a match.

Allied equipment is specifically defined in the gloasary as :

Holsters, magazines, speed loading devices and/or

their respective pouches.

Since that definition is inclusive and shoes isnt on it, 5.2.5.3. doesnt apply.

The only way it would be prohibited is if they somehow violate 5.3.1 and the MD finds them objectionable or offensive.

In General the freestyle principle of USPSA is governed by a rule book of "Cant's" so if the rule book doesnt specifically prohibit it, you can do it.

Edited by Joe4d

That's what I thought, but since someone threw it out there at a match I wanted the correct answer. :)

Whenever someone 'throws it out there at a match' I ask them to show it to me in the rulebook...they rarely have a rulebook, so I hand them mine...Clears things up real quick.

I've seen people put on kneepads when they come to a stage that requires some kneeling, or throw on a jacket or vest when there is an unloaded start and there's a need to transport magazines around. So it seems that changing garments is allowed. Also consider what happens on a multiday match... if shoes can't be changed, that would imply that other garments can't be changed either. We would be one very stinky crowd by the end of 3 day match... :lol:

I think that the only current rules about changing equipment is that you can't swap guns/sights without RM approval (5.1.7), and that you can't add/remove extra mag pouches, or change the position of the mag pouches or holster once the match has started (5.2.5.3).

Best one I've seen so far was in Missoula a few years ago. Area 1? Nationals?

Stage required the shooter to carry a nerf football for part of the stage.

Competitor borrowed a bra from wife/girlfriend, wore it over shirt to provide

a handy "pocket" for the football. No, he wasn't required to wear if for the

whole match----but maybe he should have been.

Edited by open17

These are required in some shoots in the Bay area...

post-1015-0-17728200-1312828369_thumb.jp

...sorry. goof.gif

I believe you just Offended Tampa and Baytown Texas

As some one who worked in Baytown TX. I'm not offended.

If I thought they would help my shooting I'd wear them.

Edited by Dave Campbell

Pretty sure that was 2005 Area 1.

Pretty sure that was 2005 Area 1.

One would think after that that there would be a more careful description as to how something is carried.

BTW since it was a nerf football could one just wad it up and put it in a pocket?

BTW since it was a nerf football could one just wad it up and put it in a pocket?

No, Nerf footballs are (or used to be, anyway) made of solid foam. You could squeeze it a bit, but not wad it up or fit it in a pocket. Nerf or not, you could get a bloody nose getting hit in the face with one of those. :wacko:

Edited by JAFO

No, Nerf footballs are (or used to be, anyway) made of solid foam. You could squeeze it a bit, but not wad it up or fit it in a pocket. Nerf or not, you could get a bloody nose getting hit in the face with one of those. :wacko:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKX88LvRnXk