Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ESP gun

1911vm

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since getting the XDM 5.25 9mm, it has supplanted my 1911 9mm. I can put a good trigger on it. It is easier to load, draw from tables and drawers, accurate and I'm drawing it faster through my cover garment because I can get over the slide and to the grip easier.

For me it's my CZ 75 SA Target in 9mm. Fits my hand better than my S-A XDm. It's probably more accurate than my XDm was too. It cost more but it's all steel and a great shooter.

I might be tempted with the new 5.25 XDm, but the grip just didnt do anything for me. I really like my 1911s, and the SA Target is very close to feeling like a 1911. YEMV

Your splits with a 28oz pistol will never be as fast as splits with a 41 oz pistol. I am not an XDM hater I have 3 (just the 4.5 version) but they just are not up to level of a 1911. There is a reason single action 1911s are excluded from production and SSP its to give the other guns a chance.

Since getting the XDM 5.25 9mm, it has supplanted my 1911 9mm. I can put a good trigger on it. It is easier to load, draw from tables and drawers, accurate and I'm drawing it faster through my cover garment because I can get over the slide and to the grip easier.

1911 single stack 40. with metal form tubes and shooting star 10mm 9 round spring and follower kits. Bigger holes than 9mm and 40 generally is easier to get to shoot cast bullets better, load 155's or 165's to about 130 pf,

But I dont think there is any such thing as a "best" gun. Whats best for me wont be for you, I think I can come up with a set of features that the best gun for most people will have.

caliber ? irrelevant long as it'll shoot lead or moly well.

hold 9 or 10 rounds reloadable.

parts and mags available.

decent sturdy sights, front white dot, fiber optic or the novak type target tritium, basically white dot and tritium.

4.5 to fit in box max barrel length.

box legal mag funnel that can be user installed.

decent sized usable controls.

short reset trigger.

single action or striker fired.

either run out of the box or within the shooters skills to tune.

I think any gun that meets the above criteria can win,

Edited by Joe4d

CZ 75 Shadow with an SAO trigger. Mine's got a really crisp 2.5lb trigger. It easily rivals my Brazos tuned Trojan and it's more reliable. Everyone who's shot my shadow has said, "Damn I've got to buy one of those." The only down side is the finish isn't nearly as tough as a plastic gun w/ Tenifer/Melonite type finish.

But I dont think there is any such thing as a "best" gun. Whats best for me wont be for you, I think I can come up with a set of features that the best gun for most people will have.

caliber ? irrelevant long as it'll shoot lead or moly well.

hold 9 or 10 rounds reloadable.

parts and mags available.

decent sturdy sights, front white dot, fiber optic or the novak type target tritium, basically white dot and tritium.

4.5 to fit in box max barrel length.

box legal mag funnel that can be user installed.

decent sized usable controls.

short reset trigger.

single action or striker fired.

either run out of the box or within the shooters skills to tune.

I think any gun that meets the above criteria can win,

Agreed, what works for me may not work for you. there are several guns that I think are high on the list of ones to try, but everyone is different and that is why there are so many different guns out there.

My short list is: Springfield XD and XDm series, S&W M&P, Glock, CZ75 types, 1911, and 2011 frames. All with ESP tweaks like magwells, trigger jobs, etc. I mean really, if you are shooting in ESP, there is no reason to not have a mag well....

Edited by Classic_jon

Not the cheapest. Not the easiest to obtain. Does not have the cheapest parts or mags.

But....Easiest to shoot, the best trigger. Easiest to load. Easiest to customize. Most accurate. And definitely the sexiest....

Custom Benny Built 2011 STI in 9 mm. wink.gif

Your splits with a 28oz pistol will never be as fast as splits with a 41 oz pistol. I am not an XDM hater I have 3 (just the 4.5 version) but they just are not up to level of a 1911. There is a reason single action 1911s are excluded from production and SSP its to give the other guns a chance.

Thank you for your opinion. I can do .12's and .13's with the XD/XDM, though that generally hurts me, so I don't have a problem with the splits from a 28 oz pistol. I've beat a heck of a lot of 1911's with plastic guns in IDPA, in fact I don't think I've lost to anyone shooting a 1911 yet in ESP. It isn't the gun, and in fact I can shoot a SSP legal Glock as fast, so I think the ESP division is to make people feel better, since I've never met a gun that has beat me, only shooters ;) but that is another topic.

My $0.02 on this is that I think it's a toss up between the 1911 and the XD/XDm. I like both platforms and both have different strengths for me. I can shoot a 1911 more accurately, but I can draw and change mags on a polymer gun faster. Really comes down to which platform fits you better. :cheers:

.....but I can't say that I've shot a .12 split with either gun. I'm slow :roflol:

Edited by R-Bros_JLR

+10 to Loves2shoot.....

I too can split down to .11 - .12 and thats with my ssp gun (M&P .40 PRO 5")

I routinely shoot ESP just to prove a point that magwells are not a magic bullet..

I just build a ESP specific M&P out of my backup competition gun because I got a great deal on the esp parts (magwell and baseplates)

Otherwise until you get to be like Sevigny or Vogel (and I even question then) will it matter if you shoot a 1911 or a plastic gun. They have no problem smoking 1911's with or with out a magwell.

You can get an outstanding trigger on an XD(m) as Loves can attest. and I build a trigger for the M&P that is extremely close ( although not quite) as good as a 1911 trigger.

And in these games close is good enough in equipment because you can give Sevigny a bone stock glock with a junk trigger and he will still hand most folks their ass on a plate at a match.

So to answer a the OP's question: Find a gun that fits you and points well for you and spend as much money as absolutely possible on bullets and get out and learn to shoot that gun!!! And take a class or 2 with a Pro shooter or a local GM or M and have them guide you in what you need to advance.

Then have fun shooting!! Once you get good then start tweaking your gun to fit you and your shooting style. That's when you will see the most improvements from your equipment.

Nate

For me it is an STI Trojan in 9mm.

Me too. Judging by the maximum weight for the division and the size of the box it can be argued that ESP was DESIGNED for the 9mm 1911. My Trojan decked out with all the legal goodies weighs 42.7 ounces and could not fit the box any better. Recoil with 128pf loads is laughable. Transitions are a bit slower than my Glock 34 SSP gun due to the weight, but the accuracy and lack of recoil MORE than make up for that.

What I have noticed is people switching to1911 so they could use 9round mags to facilitate slide lock reload.

If they use 9 round mags, they can not use 10 round magazines in the match, so I don't get that since you don't know which would be better until you walk every stage and have a plan.

you are absolutely correct . that is exactly what they do . they bring bth 9 and 10 rounders . and then decide which ones they will use 4 the match .

That is legal, but I doubt it makes a difference anywhere except in their imagination.

What I have noticed is people switching to1911 so they could use 9round mags to facilitate slide lock reload.

If they use 9 round mags, they can not use 10 round magazines in the match, so I don't get that since you don't know which would be better until you walk every stage and have a plan.

You can use 10 round mags and 9 round mags in the same match, you can only load them all to 9 rounds though. That is what I do when I shoot my 1911, start with a 10 rounder and carry 9 rounders on my belt.

As far as what is best............it all depends on the shooter. For anybody in this thread to say for certain which is better, be it a 1911 or a XDm, is basing it on what they like best. find the gun that feels right to you, points right for you, has the trigger you like, and is dead reliable and you found yourself the best ESP gun.

I thought it was a 1911 9mm and it did work pretty good for me last year. I have switched to a CZ75 Shadow and don't think I will go back..............it just feels right.