Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Surefire 60 rd mags

Blaster

I had one on order last spring and got tired of waiting and also figured out I rarely empty a 40 so until they get well below $100 I'm not jumping on the bandwagon. Plus I am waiting for the Pmag 40

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...I probably would rather sell 60K magazines at $78.00 a pop to independent retailers than 80K magazines to Brownells at $60.00 a pop.

You would make less money doing that B)

Not if the mags cost me $58.00 a piece to manufacture.

not even if they cost $40 to manufacture.

• 1 month later...

So buddy of mine got one of these through his army unit and used it at one of our local matches. During one stage we shot about 30 or 40 rounds, had to drop the mag and clear the rifle, then move to shotgun. The 60 Rd mag hit the dirt and cartridges went all over the place. He tested it again by dropping it on the dirt and it did the same thing. Unless you go through all 60 rds, the thing is a pos or at least a pita.

So buddy of mine got one of these through his army unit and used it at one of our local matches. During one stage we shot about 30 or 40 rounds, had to drop the mag and clear the rifle, then move to shotgun. The 60 Rd mag hit the dirt and cartridges went all over the place. He tested it again by dropping it on the dirt and it did the same thing. Unless you go through all 60 rds, the thing is a pos or at least a pita.

What unit is your Buddy in? Is he in a SOF unit?The reason I ask is most unit's don't have the budgets for regular steel 30 round Mags let alone $100+ mags. I was the logistics officer at my last unit. I tried to replace our aging steel mags with Pmags and was told go to hell. LOL Damn budget crisis

Got the chance to shoot a 60 round mag the other day....worked perfect. I shot it in Semi auto and burst mode, then I loaded it up full, 60 rounds in one trigger pull not a single problem, did that three times ran like a champ all 180 rounds.

Greg in Va

What unit is your Buddy in? Is he in a SOF unit?The reason I ask is most unit's don't have the budgets for regular steel 30 round Mags let alone $100+ mags. I was the logistics officer at my last unit. I tried to replace our aging steel mags with Pmags and was told go to hell. LOL Damn budget crisis

The mags you are talking about are alluminum mags not steel. GI mags are made of allumimum unless you got some of the HK mags.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

The mags you are talking about are alluminum mags not steel. GI mags are made of allumimum unless you got some of the HK mags.

Pat

He's in an armor unit here at Ft. Bliss. I can't believe how much stuff some of these guys get. Lots of it is off the books....Trijicons, pelican cases, lights, Pmags, etc.

I had one on order last spring and got tired of waiting and also figured out I rarely empty a 40 so until they get well below $100 I'm not jumping on the bandwagon. Plus I am waiting for the Pmag 40

Unlikely. Surefire's middle name is "price control", and the corporation tolerates absolutely no discounting of their merchandise. Get caught selling one unit at less than full retail and your shop will never get merchandise from the factory again. You also won't get dealer pricing unless you convince they you are an actual stocking dealer, not just an FFL holder doing a group buy for your buddies.

Unlikely. Surefire's middle name is "price control", and the corporation tolerates absolutely no discounting of their merchandise. Get caught selling one unit at less than full retail and your shop will never get merchandise from the factory again. You also won't get dealer pricing unless you convince they you are an actual stocking dealer, not just an FFL holder doing a group buy for your buddies.

Anyone want to share what length ammo runs in theirs? My 2.230-2.240" doesn't seem to work.

Chris,

My ammo at 2.250 runs just fine, I may have thrown in some ammo with Remington 55 JHP's which is a little shorter. Also, PMC Bronze and some of the Herters steel case stuff from Cabelas.

You might want to save your money if you're considering one of these. Mine ran fine the entire match until the last stage when this happened:

Something happend to one of the followers, not sure what, but it stopped feeding the the bullets were just in there all jumbled up. When I tossed it in the air, you can see the bullets falling out of it like raindrops.

You might want to save your money if you're considering one of these. Mine ran fine the entire match until the last stage when this happened:

Something happend to one of the followers, not sure what, but it stopped feeding the the bullets were just in there all jumbled up. When I tossed it in the air, you can see the bullets falling out of it like raindrops.

Nothing man made is perfect. Mine has worked fine in the last 3 matches I have used it in. No reason to throw the baby out with the bath water. May have been a bad round in the mag that was too long jamming it up.

pat

Nothing man made is perfect. Mine has worked fine in the last 3 matches I have used it in. No reason to throw the baby out with the bath water. May have been a bad round in the mag that was too long jamming it up.

pat

Agree. I'm going to try it again and you're absolutely right, it could have been anything. Had a buddy whose ran perfectly all day, and so did mine until that last stage.

It would seem some of these might have a "break in" period where the springs need to settle and align. There are a few reports where folks haven't been able to load more than 20rds or 40 rds into the mag, and then when reassembling they run fine. Another guy I spoke to said he put in some C-mag graphite and his ran fine after that.

Mick

Clint Upchurch had one fail on Stage 6 at Nationals. Said he'd put a thousand rounds through it and it worked perfectly. No idea if that was an exaggeration or not, he was pretty upset at that moment. After two more tries and he switched to a standard mag and finished the stage. Saw half a dozen or so more other Surefires go through without a problem. I think match gremlins snuck in there.

Just bought my new 60 rounder. Be advised, it will NOT seat in an Arrendondo mag well, without mods to the mag well. Of course now that I don't need to reload as much, I am going to sell the mag well. Also, I bought mine at the retail store for budsgunshop.com, and they how many of them at 109.99.

Robert