Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.223 55gr v 75gr loads

Michael64

Hey Nick if you don't believe it, just do a little checking! As Ty Cobb said it ain't bragging if it happened and IT DID and IS! I wish you could be me, but then my wife might not like it at all :roflol:

It is funny how the farther East and North you go, the more people like heavies while the guys who live in the wide open spaces fo the West like 55s for most everything.

BTW it is actually over 35 major 3-gun match wins but I didn't want to look bad...and yes they are documented!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is funny how the farther East and North you go, the more people like heavies while the guys who live in the wide open spaces fo the West like 55s for most everything.

I think the root of this thought is those of us in the north and east have very little opportunity to shoot out to 300 yards, let alone beyond it. The ranges out to 600 are used for highpower, and pretty much ONLY highpower. On top of that, even the 600 yard ranges are severely limited in quantity. Off the top of my head, there are 2 ranges in NH, 1 in Ma, 1 in Maine, and one in Vermont, which is on a National Guard base.

So, if you can't practice, you try to compensate with equipment.

Is there any advantage to 75gr loads over the lighter 55gr loads?

I do not reload so factory loads are what I practice with

So what do most people use as a match/competition load?

Out to 400 yards or so, the 55s have an advantage in that they shoot flatter. In strong winds, past 400 yards, you do start to get some advantage with heavier slugs as far as wind drift is concerned. In some cases, LaRues can have issues at further ranges, but usually because they are improperly set. That can be a tough argument with a match official.

MGM spinners are definately easier to spin with the heavier slugs at 100 yards and beyond. Inside of 100 yards, maybe, maybe not. I can't tell much of a difference. So pack some heavies for IronMan.

I've made notes of a lot of stuff over the years in this game. I might let the technical stuff be too large of an issue for me at times, but what it really comes down to is this: Can you hit the targets from 2 to 600 yards fast and accurately with confidence? I am still shocked at how many people show up at a major match, look at a target at several hundred yards out and say something like "I hope I can see my misses so I can walk it in." If you have not shot 55s and 69s, and 77s at distance, in your gun, with your loads and verified dope, you are just guessing. For the vast majority, picking a 55 grain load and practicing with it is much better than spending the time, money and energy to work up a bunch of different loads.

FWIW, I went to 55s across the course in October of 2010. My confidence and scores have improved. I still carry a small stash of 69s for the "Just in Case" targets. The two times I wavered and went to 69s at longer targets did not go so well.

The people you are talking about probably have never had a range to practice that far a shot and have to go with a

ballistic chart that in my opinion is a guess until you have verified with actual shooting so don't be so hard on them.

They are doing the best they can.

Kurt, one thing you forgot to mention is how much cheaper the 55g bullets are than the heavies.

Not the way I get them ;):devil:

It is interesting to read how many people are using the 55s with great success. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

I'm personally playing with some Berger 73gr and liking them thus far.

Hey if your rifle only groups the heavies, that is a good reason to use them, or if you are shootgin hogs or something they are usefull, but I just don't feel the need for 3-gun.

Hey if your rifle only groups the heavies, that is a good reason to use them, or if you are shootgin hogs or something they are usefull, but I just don't feel the need for 3-gun.

What kind of load are you using Kurt?

I have been accused of running these bullets at "crazy fast" velocities, of having an in at St. Marks powder and all sorts of disinfo. I run a hotter load that "I AM NOT RECOMENDING TO ANYONE, (liability disclaimer) DO NOT USE THIS LOAD!!" of 25.5 grains of Accurate Arms 2460 with a Nosler 55 gr. Ballistic Tip, with a Winchester Small Rifle Primer and what ever brass I have laying around as long as the primer pocket is good. No big secret, and NOT crazy fast. It gives me a good solid 3200 F.P.S. out of a 20" barrel

Kurt, when you shot your 3.5" group at 400yds, did you slap on a scope?

Im curious how you iron sight guys know how accurate your barrels are.

+1. I would like to know as well. Although I would not be surprised if it was done with irons. Best group I've shot with irons is 1 MOA. I am certain superior shooters can do better.

Kurt, when you shot your 3.5" group at 400yds, did you slap on a scope?

Im curious how you iron sight guys know how accurate your barrels are.

I don't doubt Kurt some guys have crazy good eye sight.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

The people you are talking about probably have never had a range to practice that far a shot and have to go with a

ballistic chart that in my opinion is a guess until you have verified with actual shooting so don't be so hard on them.

Actually, not so much. Most of the shooters I talk to who say such things are shooting RM3G since that is the match I work. They have ranges open to competitors to shoot long range prior to the match, they just don't take advantage of it.

I have been accused of running these bullets at "crazy fast" velocities, of having an in at St. Marks powder and all sorts of disinfo. I run a hotter load that "I AM NOT RECOMENDING TO ANYONE, (liability disclaimer) DO NOT USE THIS LOAD!!" of 25.5 grains of Accurate Arms 2460 with a Nosler 55 gr. Ballistic Tip, with a Winchester Small Rifle Primer and what ever brass I have laying around as long as the primer pocket is good. No big secret, and NOT crazy fast. It gives me a good solid 3200 F.P.S. out of a 20" barrel

"WHAAAT" 55 gr AND a20" bbl? How do you hit anything with that combo? Next thing you'll be tellin us its with iron sights.

Edited by mpeltier

Actually, not so much. Most of the shooters I talk to who say such things are shooting RM3G since that is the match I work. They have ranges open to competitors to shoot long range prior to the match, they just don't take advantage of it.

If that is the case then they deserve your comments.

Yes Mike it was and is shot with iron sights. we iron sight shooters know how good our barrels are by ....well....shooting them. I ain't saying it was prone slung, it was prone over a bag with a rear support bag and hardly any wind. If you have the same hold and trigger press it works just like a scope, except the target seems smaller. :roflol:

I run the 53gr Vmax's at just over 3200 in a 18" barrel. The BC on the 53gr Vmax's is pretty impressive. Shoots flat and fast. Not that I am in the same league as Kurt, but they will make the MGM flashers work at distance, and spin the spinner easily.

• 1 year later...

I run the 53gr Vmax's at just over 3200 in a 18" barrel. The BC on the 53gr Vmax's is pretty impressive. Shoots flat and fast. Not that I am in the same league as Kurt, but they will make the MGM flashers work at distance, and spin the spinner easily.

I may have to give the 53gr Vmax bullets a try in my 1:8 18" barrel...

I also push 55gr out at the speed of light (3280ish) out of a 20" JP barrel. Most wind reading's can be done right off the barrel, that alone will tell you if you need to hold edge of target.