Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA or USPSA - which shoots more from prone

Hi. I'm just starting out and I'm comparing IDPA to USPSA. I have a bit of a back problem that makes shooting from prone painful. I can do it some, but too much and I'm in bad shape for a while.

So, as I'm looking into the two sports, one of the things I'll be looking for is which sport has a tendency to shoot more (or less) from the prone position.

I know that this can vary a lot and so I'm wondering what your experiences are with this. If for some odd reason, there has already been discussion of this, please help direct me to it.

Thanks in advance!

IDPA seldom shoots from prone at least in the area I shoot. We shoot a lot from kneeling, usually standing to kneeling. Hardly ever have to get up and move from there. You will probably see more of prone at bigger matches in either sport.

FWIW

Richard

PS: kneeling hurts like h..l for some of us old farts with bad knees.

Stick with IDPA if you are looking for less movement. There is rarely more than two shooting positions and the amount of movement between the two is minimal. Often, when shooting prone, it will be the last position and you can take as much time getting up as you need. :P Best of luck with which ever game you choose.

Around here, dont really do prone in USPSA. Some low ports occasionally but pretty much kneeling then. Best thing to do would be ask the locals that shoot the matches as the stagers usually have a local trend depending on the match director. I know around here when we switched match directors the stages went from alot of hose fests to more accuracy requited stages

Shoot both and I'm an old guy with bad back also, see more prone in IDPA but it where you will finish at, you'll see knelling also. If your having a bad back day just take the procedural. Inform the SO of your condition so they know on the front end. Almost all will will have a way you can shoot standing. They know your not going to set the house on fire and are there just to enjoy the shooting and will work with you.

These are fun games and as such will require movement and some difficult shooting positions.

I am new to IDPA and haven't run across any prone yet. Part of that might be simply that I haven't been to many matches. I have been focusing on local club matches which is what I would suggest you do (whichever way you decide to go) initially. I have found the people at the local matches to very helpful to myself and other new shooters. In my area some of the local clubs want to add people to the sport and make a point of announcing publicly on their website that new shooters are welcome. There is plenty of opportunities to ask questions and if you make a mistake or incur some sort of penalty someone will always be willing to explain what you can do differently next time.

At one match I shot at I saw a new shooter having some difficulty with shooting from cover. The SO did not want to hold up the squad so after the shooter was finished he took him over to one of the top shooters there and asked him to spend a few minutes working with him. The experienced shooter seemed happy to spend a few minutes going over a few techniques with him. I've seen little things like this happen many times.

Thanks guys. Your responses have really helped ease my mind. It sounds like not much prone in either, and I should be able handle what prone does arise, so other (more important) factors will influence my direction.

I've been shooting USPSA for 2.5 years and I have shot prone exactly once and that was because of the chosen classifier at a local match.

Ditto, and I zero'd it so I could have just not shot it and been in the same place. FWIW, USPSA does allow for penalty in lieu of a required action for physical limitations.

I've seen a lot more prone in IDPA despite shooting a lot less IDPA than USPSA. I've shot prone in USPSA twice in 3 years including 2 majors per year and club matches but shoot prone in every IDPA major and sometimes in club matches. At least in Cali and AZ, it seems IDPA is harder on knees.

In USPSA competitors that can't complete a course of fire due to a declared disability can shoot the stages as well as possible and opt to have the remaining targets - the one's you'd engage from prone, I guess - scored with a penalty. I think the value of the penalty is 20% of the points that the competitor shot on the stage...

I am unsure if IDPA has a similar rule/clause - there isn't one listed in the rulebook...

• 1 month later...

I think it's more dependant on the whims of the local match director/organizing/committee, etc. I've done more unusual positions in one area of the country than another. Just tell the MD you can't do that and they will usually make some sort of concession.

In USPSA competitors that can't complete a course of fire due to a declared disability can shoot the stages as well as possible and opt to have the remaining targets - the one's you'd engage from prone, I guess - scored with a penalty. I think the value of the penalty is 20% of the points that the competitor shot on the stage...

I am unsure if IDPA has a similar rule/clause - there isn't one listed in the rulebook...

In the recent rules addendum they added official language to address that:

"Addition to rule PP 1. page 15

C. A Match Director may allow a handicapped or

mobility-challenged shooter to take one or multiple PEs

(at the MD’s discretion) rather than perform an act

required by the CoF (kneeling, prone, etc.) as long as

the shots can be taken safely without performing the

said act. If the shots cannot be taken safely without

performing the required act, then the competitor should

receive a DNF for that stage and the stage scored

according to the rules on page 46"

Having broken my wrist at the end of march, I used that rule on "weak hand only" stages while I was healing.

Edited by Classic_jon

I've seen a few prone stages at local IDPA levels and deal with a bad back, kneeling, low cover then up is tough, The few times I've mentioned to an IDPA SO that the stage had physical requirements that I had a hard time with they said thanks for the information on the front end and I accepted the procedural. At sixty six I'm not in the running for the top slots anymore but still enjoy shooting.

Shot IPSC for years before trying IDPA, both are fun. Your as apt to run into a prone stage in either game probably more so in IDPA.

In my experence IDPA tends to shoot prone a bit more (once out of ~ every 100 stages maybe) but we've often started shot the entire stage prone, very little getting into prone "on the clock". The few times I've done it in USPSA (once ouit of ~ every 150 stages or so), you got into position on the clock.

If you have a physical problem, seems like everyone has been ready and willing to find a solution that is fair to everyone.

I've had to shoot prone in both IDPA and USPSA. It's pretty much a crapshoot and it's a "once in a blue moon" type deal for either.

There were TWO prone stages at the AL state IDPA match this year, and I had the pleasure of shooting them back to back. My bad back was lovin' it. <_<