Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What drives your decision on which division to shoot?

This whole thought process got started when I bought Ms. Neomet a Production gun and quickly realized how much fun I thought Production is. I now have a gun for every division. What is interesting to me as a 55 year old guy with bad eyes is I go back and forth on what division I like to shoot. They each offer something at least slightly different from the other. Right now I am finding (intentionally) shooting minor loads, breaking down stages with 10 round mags and not having to freaking sort brass because I can afford to just buy once fired brass all making Production my choice. Thing is a month from now The Dot will call or shooting irons with 22 in the gun sounds fun... it always seem to be changing.

I am curious about what drives others choice of divisions. Not trying to turn this into "my division is better than your division", just curious about what rocks your boat.

Well---I too am classified in all 6 divisions, and have guns/belts etc set up for each.

What motivates me to choose a particular division to shoot? Pretty much whatever I

have enough ammo loaded for on match day. :rolleyes:

Neomet,

A long time ago I started with a revo, and went to a BHP. Years went by and I started shooting IPSC/USPSA again, and naturally I started back with the BHP. That was okay for a while.

I started out shooting Limited 10, and even bought a CZ TS to get competitive. I worked hard to dryfire and get tuned into the gun. Then I bought a G17 RTF2 from another member on the classifieds. I wasn't intending to buy that gun for myself, but rather for my daughter should she ever decide to shoot too. But, I fell in love with that little pistol. We just click together. So now I shoot production. I find that I enjoy dryfire, and everything else much more with that little Glock. I wanted all kinds of guns before I found this one, now I just want another like it.

Go figure.

Only started 2 years ago or so but I went Production for the cost factor initially. Settled on a G34 and loved it. But like the OP I am not a youngster any longer. I wanted so much to get a limited gun built but was having so much trouble seeing the front sight I took the easy way out and went with an Open build instead. I have only shot it a few times but I don't really see myself shooting much Production any more.

To answer the question, if my eyes would let me I would shoot limited.

Edited by Kevin Sanders

I shoot production because that's the gun I have. Really though I enjoy running the stages as a production shooter. I will get a sigle stack and run that down the road. Might try limited but that's a stretch. I don't have much desire to shoot open I just don't think I would enjoy it. I do enjoy watching others shoot open but it's not for me.

Many people are just shooters and gun owners first, then they come to a match. They shoot the division that fits their equipment.. I had a girlfriend that liked a Beretta, and just couldnt grasp the 10 round, start with 11 whole thing at an IDPA match. She just wasnt having fun with the restrictions she just wanted to shoot. So I took her to USPSA signed her up for limited minor, she didnt know or care about minor major, but she loaded to capacity and shot all the targets and reloaded when and how she wanted to. In limited there was really much less to explain. I think we do some new shooters a diservice when they show up with double stack service type 9mm's and all happy with their 18-20 round mags tell em they have to shoot production. Then try to teach them the 10 round 11 round thing. I think they are better off loading to capacity and learning the game first.

I have the tendancy to want to change all the time, not because Im tired of what Im shooting, but because I like to try new things. I have to keep telling myself to stick with one platform so I will improve. If I wasnt concerned about improving, I would just go eeney-meeney-miney -moe and pick a rig before each match. Just for the fun of it. As it is, I try to stick with one platform/division for at least a year.

A few things.

Sometimes a gun just feels right in your hands. Some allow you to be more confident.

Sometimes the idea of shooting a wheel gun is a different kind of "fun"... once you get past the crappy reloads.

Most of all- for me anyway- I like to shoot in a division where there are lots of shooters. Production is probably the most popular division in this area, aside from maybe Open here and there... and Open.. I just can't get into the brass chasing thing. When my eyes can no longer work with iron sights it may change things..

Edited by lugnut

Well at the moment it's limited. Mostly because I spent over 2K on a full blown custom Caspian, it's a laser and just fun to shoot.

I'm classified in single stack and have a nice one there too. So it gets broke out from time to time.

I'm only one classifier away from getting a letter in Revo, yeah I said it, and this division is what will separate the men from the boys. But I'm afraid I haven't reached puberty yet. :roflol: I love shooting my revos, but there just aren't many kids to play with. I saw only one shooter shot Double Tap in revo this weekend. :(

As for production, I got the letter, but I'd just as soon stick with single stack. I guess I'm just a bit retro.

I have a case of the aging eyes too, so I'm just biding my time until I have to go open with an optic.

Edited by Shadowrider

Started shooting Single Stack Minor with my Smith Wesson 1911 Pro Series. Loved the gun, everything was fun. Finding mags to seat on 10 rounds was quite tough to the point of driving me nuts. Bought a Sig P226 USPSA edition around the same time, shot 2 matches, then decided I really love the feel of a 1911 and the Sig with the decocker on the side, was a pain in the thumb. :roflol:

At that point, was eyeing up a nice limited gun, so started shooting single stack minor and Limited 10 (in NJ, 15 round mag limits). Ended up getting an EAA Tanfoglio Elite Limited in 40 cal, and have been shooting that past few months.

Much of what drives my decision is what I have in components. Example. Piles of clean brass and 124gr 9mm bullets means Open.

What I'm shooting means very little. That I am shooting does.

I agree w/ jman. I have and am rated in everything but @ 64 yrs with poor eyes and hands I don't obsess about who I can beat just that I'm shooting. My choice of gun is usually made about an hour before leaving for the match. I'm married to one woman, let me shoot different guns and stages. :cheers:

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ideally you should always practice with one eye closed, standing on your weak side leg, with weak hand only.

Then when you get to a match, everything else seems easy. - some guy from Dallas

Who is shooting what that night? My primary is Limited but I always have 200 rounds of 9 and 45 in my bags along with my production gun and SS gun. Sometimes It is a simple as seeing who is shooting SS or production and deciding the competition will be fun.

I have always been serious about shooting my carry gun in competition. So I just shoot in whichever division, in both USPSA and IDPA, my carry gun best fits.

When I shoot IPDA, I use my G23 in an IWB holster running factory ammo. That's what I carry everyday. 3 gun is a different story!

Not so much for USPSA which is SS since that is all that I own (SSEC Member and PROUD OF IT!) :cheers:

But when it comes to Cowboy Action, it really depends on what I have loaded in the way of ammo, how my hands feel, what the weather will be and how ornery I feel :devil:

Duelist (One Handed), Gunfighter (Pistols in each hand), Wrangler (free style), Frontier Cartridge (Black Powder), Frontier Cartridge Duelist, FCGF, Classic Cowboy (Big bore with 1873 and Earlier guns and clothes) or "B Western" Flashy with more "Modern" guns.

Decisions, Decisions what game shall I play today ?:sight:

I don't like mag changes so it is limited (minor) with the beretta 92 and mecgar 20 round mags. In addition to my angst over mag changes. The beretta just runs and runs with no tinkering. I put a d spring in it. I don't have to worry about grip safety this or mag well that.

limited and production do it for me. my open gun gets out to exercise maybe three matches a year, and damn its a hoot! but limited just to me is where i want to compete with "race guns". 2011 6" that runs like a sewing machine, always get comments on how flat it shoots. recently won my club championship with it, by 10% in all divisions combined and 20% in limited alone. me and this gun are one... production is just raw. its what "practical" shooting is. pretty much stock gun and 5 mags, plain holster and mag carriers and nothing but SKILL. no go fast widgets or enhancements, just YOU making it happen.

3 gun is another story. tactical = limited (pistol) my mind, and limited and HM are = to production.... sort of. kinda hard for me to put feelings into words, and thats what shooting competative is to me: a great feeling.