Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tripp or Dawson 10rnd 9MM mags?

cheers623

I had issues with the Metalform 10 rd mags. I shoot lead bullets exclusively. The bullets would hit the little flared out lip at the front and make a cut in the bullet. I cured that by cutting it off and using Check-Mate/Tripp followers.

I have been playing with SS 9mm for a few matches now. I am using the Wilson 10 round mags and they work great. I am having a problem though with rounds walking forward and causing the mag to hang up when I do a mag change.

I have some wilson's and I can't seat a mag with 10rds in it with the slide down. Can you? Any modifications needed?

The only cure I know for the walking rounds is to load longer...Does anyone make a long minor 9?

I have not had any problem seating the Wilsons with 10 rounds.

I had issues at first with my Tripp 9mm 10 rounders in my STI Spartan. I think the springs were just too tight at first, rounds were nosediving withing the mag. Now the have broken in and run 99%

I load a Bear Creek 135g RN at 1.150 OAL backed with WST.

I had issues at first with my Tripp 9mm 10 rounders in my STI Spartan. I think the springs were just too tight at first, rounds were nosediving withing the mag. Now the have broken in and run 99%

I'm running the same bullet at the same length.

My Spartan doesn't like anything pointy. Even the 124 truncated cone, which is almost round except for a small point, is unreliable.

135 RN runs good though.

It's weird because my EMP eats everything.

OK, title says its all. Please weigh in on this. My wife has an STI Trojan 9MM that she has been running for about 4 years and has run 100%. BUT, now she wants to shoot L-10 with 10 round mags. We tried the Chip McCormick .38 Super mags but they don't run well in her gun. Also, we've both had problems with Wilson mags over the years so have narrowed it down to Tripp Mags or Dawsons. Any experience from the people in the know that are running these two would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Cheers623

DVC

The Wilson ETM mags were not working in my STI Trojan 9mm. Long story. You can read about it here:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=124186&view=findpost&p=1470838

I got a Tripp mag to try, but it was a bit too long and hit the ejector every time I seated the mag. Not good. I'm waiting for my Dawson 10rd mags to arrive so I can try them.

OK, title says its all. Please weigh in on this. My wife has an STI Trojan 9MM that she has been running for about 4 years and has run 100%. BUT, now she wants to shoot L-10 with 10 round mags. We tried the Chip McCormick .38 Super mags but they don't run well in her gun. Also, we've both had problems with Wilson mags over the years so have narrowed it down to Tripp Mags or Dawsons. Any experience from the people in the know that are running these two would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Cheers623

DVC

The Wilson ETM mags were not working in my STI Trojan 9mm. Long story. You can read about it here:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=124186&view=findpost&p=1470838

I got a Tripp mag to try, but it was a bit too long and hit the ejector every time I seated the mag. Not good. I'm waiting for my Dawson 10rd mags to arrive so I can try them.

Did they come in yet? How do they work?

Shot a match today in Montgomery,AL. One of the guys on the squad was shooting a 9mm Spartan. He had feed issues all day with Dawson mags. IMO I think his rounds were a little short at 1.130". I load all of my 9mm rounds at 1.150" - Glock or 1911. My Spartan and Kimber 9mms will shoot and feed just about anything.

Horror of horrors I shot the whole match with a stock barrel Glock 34 and lead bullets. I did turn my head with every shot waiting for the gun to blow up. :surprise:

I hope the "internet myth/urban legend" about Glocks and lead bullets has finally gone away.

I have trip 10 round system mags for my Trojan .40 I love them. I am very impressed with the company as well. Talked to them on the phone and where very polite and answered all my questions.

Running Tripp 10-rounders in my Trojan .40...had a few issues at first, but Virgil T messed with it a bit and now it runs great. +1 on Tripp's customer service...nice to talk to the actual people and they have always returned calls or emails promptly.

I bought a 9mm Spartan through Dawson and five of their mags around January when they were pretty new as far as I know. The mags were not lifting the slide stop enough on empty to catch the slide so they sent me five new springs and I have had no trouble with the new springs in for about 500 rounds.

I don't know if they all get the second spring I was given now or what. I was made happy and stopped bothering them.

I gave up trying to get MG 124g JHP to feed in the Spartan and have only tried roundnose since with no problems(same 500 rounds).

gordonm1

Did they come in yet? How do they work?

They came in, but I've been out of town. I hope to try them out early this week. I'll let you know how they do.

The DP mags work flawlessly. I've already ordered 4 more.

• 2 weeks later...

I use Tripp 10 rnd. 9mm in my SA Stainless Loaded Target with no problems what so ever. I think they are the best on the market. One word of caution:

If you get the Tripps load the mags to max then let them sit for about a week loaded. This will set the springs. Then fire 2-3 full mags from each of the new mags. Tripp mags are tight when new. Then you should be ready to run.

I have the Tripp, Dawson, and Wilson ETM that I use for IDPA. I find that both the Wilson and the Dawson magazines are a little harder to unload. Unloading is easy with the UpLula. I also really like the Tripp. They are easier to unload and perform well, but I have experienced rounds becoming dislodged during a tactical reload or fall out in the magazine pouch. My Wilson have the composite followers and they seem to wear pretty quickly in my SA. When that happens, the slide fails to lock back.

Overall I like the Dawson the best of the group. They are easy to load and have been very reliable.

I'm running the same bullet at the same length.

My Spartan doesn't like anything pointy. Even the 124 truncated cone, which is almost round except for a small point, is unreliable.

135 RN runs good though.

It's weird because my EMP eats everything.

Check this thread out. It's mine about my Spartan.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=313490

• 2 weeks later...

Tripp 9mm ones are outta stock until the 2nd week of Jan. I called last week and asked about the order...

They're shipping again. I received 5 that I ordered in May. Plus an extra at no charge with a note saying thanks for my patience. Reminds me of when one of my .45 mags had a spring that broke after rusting. They said it shouldn't have rusted or broke, and sent me three springs in case it happens to any of my other mags. Great company!