Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm ammo

I have a 9mm 5" XD and I am looking for some smooth/accurate ammo which will be shot exclusivly at 25 yards. I am not worried about PF and I am not set up to reload at this time. I have been looking at a bulk order from percision delta, and for the type of shooting I want to do, I dont know the difference between 115g, 124g or 147g. Or the advantage between FMJ and JHP.

There are claims the JHP are a bit more accurate than FMJ bullets due to the JHP having a bit more of load bearing surface which help stabalize the bullet before leabing the barrel.

It would be best to pick up 50 or 100 rounds of each weight and see which one is to your liking.

Edited by yoshidaex

I have a 9mm 5" XD and I am looking for some smooth/accurate ammo I am not worried about PF

My Browning shoots 147 gr bullets more accurately than 115 or 124's, but

you might find the opposite.

Depends, of course, on your definition of "accuracy" - for some 3" at

25 yards is fine, others look for 1 1/2" at 25 yds.

You will have to try different loads (powders, amounts of powder

and bullets at different OAL's to determine what works best in YOUR gun.

If pf is not important, start with the lowest recommended amounts of powder

and see if it functions in your gun and is accurate.

No generic shortcuts - it's all work:)) My kind of work:)))

Good luck.

Jack

the grains is the weight of the bullet, there are 7000 grains to the pound, its an old weight measurement having to do with an actual grain, barley I think. Almost all 9mm's shoot 124 gr bullets well. Almost all 9mm's shoot 115's at least ok, many 9mm's wont shoot 147's but some shoot them best.

There are claims the JHP are a bit more accurate than FMJ bullets due to the JHP having a bit more of load bearing surface which help stabalize the bullet before leabing the barrel.

Not all JHPs have more bearing surface than similar weight FMJ/CMJ/etc. Bearing surface isn't what makes JHPs more accurate, on average, than other styles. It's almost entirely about the method of making the two different kinds of bullets. The process, and equipment required to make a JHP causes them to be more consistent, and that leads to greater accuracy.

If bearing surface was the most important factor in accuracy, heavy, or heavier, bullets would always be more accurate than light bullets, and that simply isn't the case. R,

Not all JHPs have more bearing surface than similar weight FMJ/CMJ/etc. Bearing surface isn't what makes JHPs more accurate, on average, than other styles. It's almost entirely about the method of making the two different kinds of bullets. The process, and equipment required to make a JHP causes them to be more consistent, and that leads to greater accuracy. If bearing surface was the most important factor in accuracy, heavy, or heavier, bullets would always be more accurate than light bullets, and that simply isn't the case. R,

Good to know you're always on top of the info game.

G-manBart

Can you expand on the how the bullets are made and how the machinery is different? I understand the basics of how the slugs and cups are made and assembled, but I've never seen it done. Thanks.

Not all JHPs have more bearing surface than similar weight FMJ/CMJ/etc. Bearing surface isn't what makes JHPs more accurate, on average, than other styles. It's almost entirely about the method of making the two different kinds of bullets. The process, and equipment required to make a JHP causes them to be more consistent, and that leads to greater accuracy. If bearing surface was the most important factor in accuracy, heavy, or heavier, bullets would always be more accurate than light bullets, and that simply isn't the case. R,

According to the "ABC's of Reloading" hollow points are more accurate because it moves the center of mass further back. Seeing as how I'm not an engineer or physicist I'm only capable of regurgitating information and have no real opinion what-so-ever.

G-manBart

Can you expand on the how the bullets are made and how the machinery is different? I understand the basics of how the slugs and cups are made and assembled, but I've never seen it done. Thanks.

I would add to this that it Is due to a differance in bullet construction, but not necessarily the machinery. The typical fmj bullet is open in the back and the lead is exposed to the hot gasses upon ignition of the gun powder. Cmj and Jhp do not have the lead exposed. I have found no differance between like bullets with a closed base. And to add to this most fmj are very high production practice bullets that may not get the same quality control and scrutiny that a more premium bullet recieves.

Edited by mpeltier

• 2 weeks later...

i'm beginning to find its not a question of recoil so much as how you prefer the sights to track. I'm still farting around with 124's loaded at power factor. 147s are nice but I like a bit of response.

124MGs work for me at PF, found I like some snap over the softer push of 147s

Many top level shooters love 147's but a large number have also come to the same conclusion as you and I that a little bit of snap is better. I personally felt 147's were just too sluggish.

I have shot 147s for years. I shoot 135s now because my Spartan 9mm likes them, but I am probably going to 160s for everything.

People might think that heavier bullets are sluggish, but your slide still cycles faster than you can shoot. I tend to think it's all in your head. I really do like the 147s, though, and if they'd shoot in all of my guns, I'd stick with them.

I have shot 147s for years. I shoot 135s now because my Spartan 9mm likes them, but I am probably going to 160s for everything.

People might think that heavier bullets are sluggish They are

but your slide still cycles faster than you can shoot. Technically true

I tend to think it's all in your head. What in this game isn't? Just like any other game with a huge mental component what is in any shooters head matters a bunch.