Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to gain consistency?

sdm74

Master all the skills. I can be 3rd on a stage up with the GM's and on the next 26th. Looking at the stages it is easy to figure out why. The good one was mostly about the shooting the bad one had lots precise positioning, and movement. In this case hits were not a factor as visual patience was used. If you start rushing and take shots that are not there then the scores are not there either. IMHO. Pay attention to the stages and the results and find your weakness, fix those and you will be more consistent.

Plan your stages properly to play to your strengths. Can you shoot well on the move? Are you flexible enough to drop into a good crouch that makes this array available? What is your A zone accuracy to distance ratio?

If you formulated your plan based on your strengths AND follow through using that plan you should be fairly consistent from stage to stage.

• 3 weeks later...

You ain't got a method. Try reading "With Winning in Mind", by Lanny Basham(sp). Do a search on forums for it, highly recommended.

Terrific book and an easy read!

As other said above, just be aware of whats going on. You need to find something that you are doing differently on the stages you tank, whether its missed shots/extra shots, functional shooting problems, stage breakdowns, etc. You gotta find them, then eliminate them.

The comparison of your standings might lead you astray.

How is your shooting from stage to stage?

Is your shooting consistent?

Are you getting the same percentage of A hits?

Here is the deal as I see it; If my shooting is consistent then I am doing something right. Consistent means good stage strategy, executed, high percentage of A, smooth movement between array, etc. If I have executed the fundamentals correctly, then I have to look to see what I dropped or became inefficient at executing.

Do you want your (one)shooting to be consistent or do you want your (two)match placement to be consistent. IMHO you can not get to two without first achieving one. When you shooting is consistent, break out of your comfort zone and move to controlled chaos.

I think Ted Puente won a national title without ever winning a stage. He was 'ice', placed high every stage and made no fatal errors.

I can shoot a match and place 6th overall in my division on one stage. Then on another stage place as bad as 17th. How do I put together a whole match and be consistent?

In addition to what everyone else said - never be in a hurry.

be

I can shoot a match and place 6th overall in my division on one stage. Then on another stage place as bad as 17th. How do I put together a whole match and be consistent?

In addition to what everyone else said - never be in a hurry.

be

When doing my last year of pharmacy training, an old pharmacist working with me said, "fill'em fast, but don't hurry, or you'll hurry up and kill somebody". Ill always remember that lesson. Seems it carries over to other things as well!

• 2 months later...

I may be overstating the obvious, but for me, my consitancy (or lack of) is directly related to my physical conditioning. It's so easy to fall out of the zone when the heat starts getting to me, or when I'm not recovering air in a timely manner.

Is it a difference in performance or a difference in the type of stage?

If it's a performance variable on the same type of stage, then you've got more of a mental opportunity.

If it's a stage type issue, then you've got a training opportunity.

Maybe keep track of the stages you have trouble with and design some drills around them? You'll find some common threads.

Turning weaknesses into strengths is fun and good for the self-image. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I compare my shooting performance to a bell curve. The majority of the stages I shoot are right in the middle of the curve, with results I can readily replicate over and over. Occasionally I'll shoot a stage that's just mind blowing, but trying to replicate the outcome will result in a performance that's more indicative of my current skill level (the middle of the curve). Conversely, I'll also occasionally perform relatively poorly on a stage.

You have the ability to shift the curve one way or the other through training or the lack thereof. Your curve might also be in different places on different days because of variables such as sleep or stress.

• 2 weeks later...

I gained some relative consistency from addressing the obvious problems in the portions of stage shooting that are present in every stage. Transitions, accuracy, and the ability to stay focused yet relaxed. Sure stages require more than this to shoot "perfectly", but 90% or so is still based on these things. Master these aspects and you will see the greatest improvement in consistency as far as what you could expect from a variety of stages after your walkthrough/planning.

However; never shoot with any form of expectation. Train your subconscious and let it do it's thing when the buzzer goes off. Whether it's consistently sucking or consistently tearing it up, if you can learn to fully release your subconscious to do the shooting, you will gain consistency.

I may be wrong, but this has improved my game by leaps and bounds.

for me to shoot better at matches was to write down the problems i had at prior matches and practice these like shooting through ports, prone , etc. do not spend all of your time on these just address them so your more comfortable with them i agree with everyone else if yuor not making the hits or the right positions at a 100% then slow to what it takes to make all A hits then the more you shoot you will shoot faster with better shot calling and stage decisions hope this helps

Having broken my wrist and cracked a leg bone at the end of March, I have learned many things about grip and *patience* while I have been recovering. Recently I was trying to push my speed to make up for deficiencies in my grip strength and stance by pulling the trigger faster. Guess what, I shot a good bit faster but my hits were not there.

Last week the two instructors of the classes I took a while back were there while I was shooting the classifier. In watching me shoot both of them pretty much said "stop trying to shoot so fast to make up for a weak wrist and get your hits!" At last nights indoor match, I slowed down just a bit and lo and behold! All of a sudden my sight picture came back, I was handling recoil better and I was *almost* back up into the ranks I usually was in.

As others have said, be "fast" but don't "rush" and have a good PLAN of how you are going to shoot the stage. At some point the mental part of the game almost becomes more important then the physical part, especially on more complex stages.

Edited by Classic_jon

To me it would make sense to find someone at the match whose opinions you value and ask them to watch you run a couple stages. I have found the way we perceive our own actions (draw, shooting, moving, ect) in our minds is often not reality. Perception of time seems warped while running and gunning. Better yet, have someone record you running some stages. Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='DoubleA' timestamp='1311925950' post='1500336

However; never shoot with any form of expectation. Train your subconscious and let it do it's thing when the buzzer goes off. Whether it's consistently sucking or consistently tearing it up, if you can learn to fully release your subconscious to do the shooting, you will gain consistency.

Δ This hits home for me, I don't think I have learned to release my subconscious every time. When I have a good run I know that I've allowed that to happen but, almost always there is one or two stages where I fail to do that and tank.