Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Classifier woes

tackdr1ver

Am I the only person who manages to botch every classifier? It is starting to get very frustrating shooting a decent match only to completely screw up on the classifier. I had hoped to be a B class shooter by mid summer but my classifier scores look like garbage!

Yesterday I hit a NS on an otherwise decent run, shooting Limited Minor. Hit factor was 3.651 :surprise:

Blah...

Am I the only person who manages to botch every classifier? It is starting to get very frustrating shooting a decent match only to completely screw up on the classifier. I had hoped to be a B class shooter by mid summer but my classifier scores look like garbage!

Yesterday I hit a NS on an otherwise decent run, shooting Limited Minor. Hit factor was 3.651 :surprise:

Blah...

Um....don't shoot Limited Minor?

:)

Blah...

Um....don't shoot Limited Minor?

:)

Working on that! I have a G35 coming this week. That should help a bit!

View the classifier as just another stage in the match. You're probably either psyching yourself out, or pushing too hard on the classifier.

You're probably right. I do get kinda amped up on the classifiers. Have to learn to control the nerves...

When you look at match results, where are you finishing in relation to B and C shooters? Are you consistently finishing top C? Middle of B? Middle of C?

If you're not consistently winning C, maybe it's just not time to move to B yet. Work on whatever skills need work to get you there rather than focusing on classifiers so much. The letter next to your name will change when it's time.

Edited by Pro2AInPA

One of the best pieces of advice I've seen was from a Dave Sevigny interview where he said (paraphrasing), "Don't stress the classifiers - there are too many that are based on hypothetical scores that no one has ever shot, or based on completely different divisions to the one you're shooting." I've shot a couple where I didn't think I performed that great and I scored in the 80's (which is good for me), and others that I absolutely smoked that I scored in the low 70's.

Just shoot them as well as you can as if they were a stage in the match you're competing in, and let the chips fall where they may.

For too many people/results, classifiers are hero to zero stages. There are a great number of folks that practice classifiers. This often inflates the percentages needed to score in a certain class.

If you want to really focus on classifiers, improve your draws and reloads first. It seems to me, with the low points associated with most classifiers, that speed counts. Next work on your transitions to A zone.

Or,

Work on your fundamentals with focus on areas for improvement. This will increase your standings in a match.

I would rather be a solid B shooter than a paper A.

The moment I stopped worrying about classifiers, I jumped to the next class.

I shot one this weekend. 4 Steel, one paper. I have done subsecond draws on paper at that distance many many times. I was running the clock and notice many draws in the 1.5 second range from good shooters. I focused on my draw. I really wanted a fast draw. I was not concerned about anything else. My draw was 1.19 and I choked the steel. Not surprising since all I cared about was the draw and it was not near my best time.

This about sums it up. Especially if you're shooting any major matches and would like to contend for a trip to the prize table. (I'm not condoning sandbagging. Simply stating that just barely squeaking into the next higher class by focusing solely on classifiers artificially inflates classification)

On a side note, we REALLY need some 30 round field course classifiers.

Agreed with Singlestack; I've never heard a shooter who has made a particular class refer to someone else in that class as a "paper" shooter.

It used to be used mostly in the context as a "Paper GM" but it's getting more and more common in regards to other classes.

ALL classifications are paper; show some respect for the people who've put the time and dedication in to move up.....those who have challenged themselves......

Just like someone else already posted.......treat them like any other stage. Practice the component skills.

FY42385

When you look at match results, where are you finishing in relation to B and C shooters? Are you consistently finishing top C? Middle of B? Middle of C?

If you're not consistently winning C, maybe it's just not time to move to B yet. Work on whatever skills need work to get you there rather than focusing on classifiers so much. The letter next to your name will change when it's time.

Well this is a tough question to answer. I have only shot local matches at a couple different ranges over the past year. So I can't say that I know for sure where I would hang in a larger event.

It appears that I am starting to leapfrog a bit here recently. I have been shooting for about a year now and am seeing solid progress, which is all one can hope for.

Lots of us are in the same boat; we try too hard at classifiers and bomb as a result. As much as possible gotta try and shoot it like its just another stage. Heard there's people out there who'll shoot a classifier as many times as they can and then send in the best score. stuff like that will skew the curve. My last few classifiers have really, really sucked. I know I can shoot better but been crashing and burning. Shooting in big matches with tons of shooters with the same or better ability is the ultimate test.

Agreed with Singlestack; I've never heard a shooter who has made a particular class refer to someone else in that class as a "paper" shooter.

It used to be used mostly in the context as a "Paper GM" but it's getting more and more common in regards to other classes.

ALL classifications are paper; show some respect for the people who've put the time and dedication in to move up.....those who have challenged themselves......

Just like someone else already posted.......treat them like any other stage. Practice the component skills.

FY42385

Went to a special classifier match yesterday with the intentions of making master in open, it didn't happen I bombed it.

Then I remembered when I starting putting it together on classifiers, I went into them with no expectations and with in two months had a 99% run and 97% run, then a few months after that a 93%.

Just go and shoot them and let what happens happens, you can't force it, that is when we crash and burn

Nope, yer not the only one who manages to botch every classifier. I went through that stage. Got called sandbagger. I got over it like this:

Just Shoot.

+1

and pull back on the throttle a bit.

People see the really short course; 4, 5, 6 or 8 shoots, maybe a reload and repeat and they think BURN IT, BABY!!!

My best classifiers have been were I didn't feel rushed but later observed that I simple didn't waste time.

Just draw and shoot (reload and repeat if necessary).

Edited by Steven Cline

Am I the only person who manages to botch every classifier? It is starting to get very frustrating shooting a decent match only to completely screw up on the classifier.

No, you're not.

:blush:

Expectations and desires make me my own worst enemy when shooting them. I'm still trying to learn to let go of that baggage.

Nope, yer not the only one who manages to botch every classifier. I went through that stage. Got called sandbagger. I got over it like this:

Just Shoot.

+1

and pull back on the throttle a bit.

People see the really short course; 4, 5, 6 or 8 shoots, maybe a reload and repeat and they think BURN IT, BABY!!!

My best classifiers have been were I didn't feel rushed but later observed that I simple didn't waste time.

Just draw and shoot (reload and repeat if necessary).

Some good advice there! Thanks. I have had a couple of people sort of 'imply' that I am sandbagging. The reality is: I just started shooting a year ago and have been learning a ton. Sometimes things go really well and other times not. I am not consistent enough to be a sand bagger, I go for it each and every time I step up to the line. Occasionally it turns out brilliant, other times abysmal. Trying to get consistent is the hard part.

Just go and shoot them and let what happens happens, you can't force it, that is when we crash and burn

Yep, the wheels definitely start falling off if I push too hard. I guess that is what makes a GM a GM, they know where the fine line between the afterburners and control lies..

The only time I've ever thought, "I'm going to burn this down" was on one string of a classifier that had a very narrow par time. Otherwise, I just shoot as fast as I have sight pictures on A zones, and I concentrate on my trigger control. If you just do those two things you will see pretty consistent classifier performance that incrementally improves over time as you become a better shooter.

I used to try to hard on classifiers as well and then did what was mentioned above. Just relax and shoot it just like any other stage and usually my scores are pretty decent. The problem is, is that there are sandbaggers in every division. I know several people that should not be where they are and somehow always shoot classifiers badly. Go figure!

I can't sandbag for the life of me. I want to be the best I can be and if that means a "paper A" then so be it. I'll probably get blasted by the rest of A class shooters but oh well, I'll get better with time and hopefully beat them honestly one day.

funny I always wondered the same thing, but did not want to mention it on a public forum.... :surprise: cuz I thought I was the only one! ha, and recently had a similar discussion with a shooting pal. I have been shooting about 2 years now and have made a total of about 15 matches with classifiers, and I always seemed to botch them, not because I really tried to burn them down so much as I really really wanted to do well and knew I would never advance if I could not do well, I had placed at every level 2 and 3 I entered in that time but still was getting no where(and called sandbagger, in jest, with every win), and then out of the blues while I was placing in major matches I realized my scores where getting into competitive b class range and then all of a sudden my classifiers began to match my apparent progression in the sport. So pretty much everything these experienced shooters above have mentioned are the truth:

Just shoot
i would rather see, say, 75% for the whole match ( im a C shooter), sooner or later, the classifiers will all work out
I just shoot as fast as I have sight pictures on A zones, and I concentrate on my trigger control. If you just do those two things you will see pretty consistent classifier performance that incrementally improves over time as you become a better shooter.
Just go and shoot them and let what happens happens, you can't force it
Shooting in big matches with tons of shooters with the same or better ability is the ultimate test.
Practice the component skills.
Just shoot them as well as you can as if they were a stage in the match you're competing in, and let the chips fall where they may.

seems everyone of these guys figured out the same sort of basic thing, as now have I,

I want A so bad I can taste it, but I also know it will come when I have earned it and deserve it and not a moment sooner, AND I appreciate the skill set of all the shooters esp the A and up! I was ignorant enough in the beginning to have thought to myself "I can shoot good, this should be no problem" geeeez what a fool I was, the dedication, money and time it takes to make Master and GM :bow:, not even sure I can ever make it, but the ride will sure as hell be fun!

so from one new shooter to another, do what all these guys say, and it will happen.

This about sums it up. Especially if you're shooting any major matches and would like to contend for a trip to the prize table. (I'm not condoning sandbagging. Simply stating that just barely squeaking into the next higher class by focusing solely on classifiers artificially inflates classification)

On a side note, we REALLY need some 30 round field course classifiers.

Okay, please design one that is able to be shot with no more than 4 poppers using props that all the clubs in the country have, can be shot indoors and out. The only other minor issue is that it must be able to be set up exactly the same in every club in the country. Once you have that done, please submit to John A so he can have it setup and run at a Nationals.

Nothing to it, right?

Jay

I don't k.ow how I learned to do it but I have learned to instead of treating a classifier like just another stage I have made myself treat every stage like a classifier. I just always trick myself into thinking that "This is he most important stage of the day". Not sure it is healthy but I get a "Adrenaline High" every time the buzzer sounds. I just love shootng that much. I will be in trouble if that feeling ever goes away cause its the only way I know how to shoot even In practice.