Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any Baer Enthusiasts Here?

Accelerator

Like the title says, are there any Les Baer lovers aboard? I'm new to the forum, and have a sick addiction for the 1911 platform. I have quite a few 1911's, but after years of buying, shooting, building, shooting, and building some more, I have found that Les Baer builds the gun that I love the most. Now I'm not saying Les Baer is the best, quite the opposite in fact as I believe, Browns, Wilsons and quite possibly Nighthawks, offer most users the ultimate in the 1911 experiance. But what I am saying is this, Les builds the gun that I love the most! For the record though, my next purchase will probably be a Brown as I do feel the need to branch out every now and then.

Like the title says, are there any Les Baer lovers aboard? I'm new to the forum, and have a sick addiction for the 1911 platform. I have quite a few 1911's, but after years of buying, shooting, building, shooting, and building some more, I have found that Les Baer builds the gun that I love the most. Now I'm not saying Les Baer is the best, quite the opposite in fact as I believe, Browns, Wilsons and quite possibly Nighthawks, offer most users the ultimate in the 1911 experiance. But what I am saying is this, Les builds the gun that I love the most! For the record though, my next purchase will probably be a Brown as I do feel the need to branch out every now and then.

I agree. Baer makes a great 1911 and I am very happy with both of mine.

My TRS with Bearcoat is my favorite gun. It is a tack driver with a perfect trigger, almost too light for carry. I would have a Commanche chrome but I bought a Dillon 650 and components. Now I am waiting for savings to build again. I would not get night sights again and I would have them leave off the front slide serrations if I could do it over! Otherwise it's my idea of a perfect 1911. I just don't think the Wilsons, NightHawks, Ed Browns, and others are better. I have shot them all. A tricked out Baer TRS = 2000$ verses 3000$ for the others. You do the math!

Another Baer fan here. Mine is like the Eveready bunny it just keep on going and going and going. Never a failure to feed, never a failure to eject, never a jam of any sort. I was having a problem ejecting magazines, but found the problem limited to one magazine, so its certainly not the gun. Like other have said there are better and flashier 1911's on the market but the Baer is the best overall value.

Edited by cuzinvinny

My first 1911, in .45 was a Colt Gold Cup. I didn't think it was accurate enough for ME, so I sent it to Clark Custom and they worked their magic on it.

I bought a Premier II, with the 1.5" group guarantee, and even though I don't think it's any more accurate than my Clark/Colt, I like it better. I've put several thousands of rounds through both without any malfunctions, but, the Colt doesn't hardly ever come out of the safe anymore.

I also have an Ed Brown, a Wilson that was worked over by Rock River Arms, a couple of older Kimbers, and 10 STIs. I think the Brown is the best LOOKING, but, I don't think it shoots any better than the Baer.

I'm converting my "bullseye" wadcutter to shoot in S.S. this summer.

I love it, but not looking forward to "unload and show clear"...Its still has a very tight lock-up. (only 1000 rds.)

I got a suede lined Kydex holster for it...but I know it will still get some bluing wear.

Oh well...for me it will be a shooter, not a "looker" safe queen any more.

I have a low number (5xx) Combat pistol, the daddy of the Premier II and it is as tight and accurate as when it was new. A fine pistol that has never let me down. I thought it was costly when I bought it, but you can't beat quality.

I love my Baer! Picked it up used for a steal (under $900!) and it locks up like a champ. I have never felt a smoother pistol, even if she does show some scuffs and wear. My plan is to learn to load to feed her, then shoot SS, L10, steel challenge, and IDPA with this one gun. Just different mags and springs maybe for the different PFs.

I have a PII 1.5" with edges dehorned. For the money it's a great value for my needs. Second best trigger of my collection; not factory. Worst stock finish of my collection (and this includes a STI Spartan). I think the 3" PII is a fantastic 1911 45 for anyone interested in a nice higherend 1911. Or better yet a Concept III.

I'd be looking for a good 'smith to replace that front sight for a f/o though.

I love my Bare TRS! I also like my two Wilson's and my Brown. But my go to gun for an afternoon at the range is my Thunder Ranch Special. There is just something about the gun I really like. It has the 1.5" guarantee but it's not that, I think it's just the work horse of my 1911 collection. I have shot some USPSA matches with it but the night sights are harder for my old eyes to pick up so I have retired it from competition and went to an STI gun for USPSA.

You just can't go wrong with a Bare.

• 2 weeks later...

My Baer Premier II (1.5 @ 50 yards guarantee) is a great gun. I have had it almost 8 years and it will shoot any kind of ammo. With really light 200gr. semiwadcutter loads, I slap a 12-13lb recoil spring in it, and really have some fun. Will it shoot 1.5 @ 50 yds? Not with me behind the trigger!

Having a fair amount of experience with various 1911's at many cost levels, I am impressed with the quality you get for the money with Les Baer guns. The overall fit, finish, accuracy and reliability I have encountered are on par with or exceed, guns costing considerably more.

I own two TRSs and a Premier II. Love them all, and prefer Baer out of the usual lineup of semi-customs.

The PII is what I've been shooting lately in SS division. No problems yet. The TRSs get carried and used for IDPA and USPSA from time to time.

P2 with the 1.5 option. Only 2k rounds. Still exceptionally tight. The only stoppage I had was with reloaded cartridge using a AMERC case that wouldn't chamber. It didn't pass a case gauge when I checked it later.

Had a TRC. Sold it for funds for another project. There was nothing wrong with it.

I have a lot of high end 1911s and think that Baer builds a gun as good as anyone else (and better than many) for a very good price.

Saw a used LB at a gun store, It was in perfect condition. It had a stainless top with a blue frame. Traded a tricked out Springfield, lost my ass but didn't care. The LB is now my favorite gun. Turns out that this particular slide frame combination was asked for by a Baer dealer back in 1997, must have been a safe queen because their was not mark on it.

Les Baer is probably my favorite shooter of the semi custom 1911's and I have had them all. Sold all my Nighthawks and Wilsons and only have one Ed Brown which I have not fired yet. As far as looks, I think LB guns are built for using and not for eye candy. They are good looking guns but I feel that the other semi custom houses have them beat on aesthetics.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a PM II and I am very partial to it. I use it for IDPA and soon for L-10.

I've had a Wilson barrel and bushing fitted by Bruce Gray.

Added the customary bits and pieces for match shooting -- S&A magwell, 10-8 flat trigger, stainless full length guide rod. The gun is basically flawless in fit and function and accuracy. It also feel awesome in the hand.