Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Mechanic

oddjob

Not a bad movie....more "cartoonish" (like the bus scene) than the original, but even my wife liked it. Ben Foster is no comparison to Jan M. Vincent according to my wife. Couple of bad gun scenes like the hammer not staying back on a 1911 that was shot. Clear view of a blank fired casing in the air. But not too bad. The original was more gritty to me than this new version. Bottom line: I will buy the Blu Ray when it comes out.

I didn't even know there was an original. But I think I want to see this version. Who was in the original?

young kids!!! :D didn't know there was an original.

Charles Bronson and Jan Michael Vincent. Great movie

I stopped by wally world last week and just happened to walk by their bargain bin for DVDs. in the bin was like a 3 pack of Charlie Bronson movies. one of the three movies was The Mechanic. darn, I wish I had picked it up. it was only like 5 bucks.

I am thinking that there is this subtlety to the original that won't be duplicaTed in the remake. you really have to be paying attention to the small details in the original. I am expecting that the remake with today's audiences they'll have to have their hands held and dialogue will have to be inserted to make todays's viewers be able to connect all the dots.

slight thread drift ahead...when I was stationed at Pope/Ft. Bragg, there was a pawn shop in Fayetteville where I would buy my reloading supplies. on the wall there was this black and white poster of Charlie Bronson standing at some range all suited up in a Camp Perry style shooting jacket holding some bull barreled target rifle...man! how I would like to have that poster! that and a poster of Linda Hamilton cleaning her AR in Terminator 2 would be perfect posters for a reloading room.

If you see the original first movie the basic plot is the same, but thats where the similarity ends. Its a very good movie on its own to see then watch the original. You guys are making me feel old...........

I didn't even know there was an original. But I think I want to see this version. Who was in the original?

It seems that Hollywierd can no longer come up with original movies that aren't animated! I didn't know, or care, that a remake is out.

Gotta agree with Dan. This was a classic and in the last few years I feel like I have had a lifetimes share of remakes.

SWEET! I went back to wally world and dug through the bargain bin. Yep! I found the original Mechanic. it also came with two other (cheesey, B ?) movies.

Let's face it, The Mechanic, was a B movie, but a really great B Movie.

My girl and I saw it last night - we both enjoyed it. And I think she enjoyed the ending more than I did, because she did not see the original.

Spoiler question?:

Did Charles Bronsed die in the original?

Please answer with a "spoiler."

be

My girl and I saw it last night - we both enjoyed it. And I think she enjoyed the ending more than I did, because she did not see the original.

Spoiler question?:

be

Its been a long time since I have seen it, but didn't Jan Michael Vincent poison him. and then got blown up.

Spoiler question?:

be

Its been a long time since I have seen it, but didn't Jan Michael Vincent poison him. and then got blown up.

Yes the bronson character dies. He was suspicious so he rigged Jan Michael Vincent's car before they left. So when the Jan Michael Vincent character poisoned him in Italy he in effect had killed himself.

Edited by caspian guy

Spoiler question?:

be

Yes the bronson character dies. He was suspicious so he rigged Jan Michael Vincent's car before they left. So when the Jan Michael Vincent character poisoned him in Italy he in effect had killed himself.

Thanks! Now I remember.

I saw the original more than once. Very cool movie for the time. I think there was some unwritten rule in Hollywood at the time that bad guys were not suppose to live happily everafter--i.e., condoning contract killing.

The ending in the original was a classic, 'paybacks are a MF' to quote my Marine friends.

I suspect remakes are because in the olden days, the story was more important than special effects. Most directors/producers do not have a clue about how to tell a good story, they know their special effects or 'how to tug on the heart strings' or some gimmick. Clint Eastwood is one of the few directors now days that really focuses on the story that needs to be told.

Edited by pjb45

• 3 months later...

the remake is now available on DVD and is at the Redbox. I just dropped it off, having rented it last night. there is some special going on now where if you text a particular number to redbox you get a reply back with a promo code.

the remake was good. I was impressed actually. it could stand on its own.

maybe it was because the original true grit starred john wayne, but I kept comparing those two to each other.

no need to do that with these two different versions of the mechanic.

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoyed the new version, but still think the original was better. It does seem that there is a 25-30 year cycle on movies before they are reintroduced. There aren't many remakes that are better than the originals.

Not to drift, but I recently watched a couple of older action flicks with my son. Needless to say, he wasn't super impressed with the originals.

• 2 weeks later...

I like Jason Statham and most of his movies but he is a one dimensional actor, he plays the same character for every movie ... that's not always a bad thing... it could be if he tryed something different.