Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best used cars that I can work on.

About to hand over my new car to my youngest as a college graduation gift.:)

I am going to buy a "beater" to roll to work and back with. Car or truck 10-15-20+ years

old. Maybe spending 2 to 3 K on it. I possess slightly above average mech skills. :huh:

Knowing what you know, recommend something please?

Growing up, we never sent a car to a mechanic. No computers, all mechanical switches and an owners manuals that actually told you how to keep it on the road. Something major needed repairs and dad might even spring for a Chilton's Manual.

So I guess I'm talking about something built in the 60's or earlier. Most are easy to work on, many have lots of replacement parts available, and cruising down the road in style is pretty cool.

I believe Ted Nugents' black Bronco is a '73.

Bill

Easiest car to work on ever made: Chevy Caprice/Impala.

Otherwise: almost any truck, preferably older, and GM, because they share more parts with other vehicles

Agreed, My first car was a 72 Impala and that is what I really learned about cars on. There are a ton of Chevy small blocks out there so parts are cheap and easy to find. Also, the Chevy 350 with a 4 bolt main is nigh indestructible.

One of the many reasons I live in the desert SW is the climate. We commonly see cars and trucks out here built in the 60's and 70's driven everyday and NO RUST.

The more I read up on that 22R motor in the older Toyota's a little pick up might fill the bill....we shall see.

One of the many reasons I live in the desert SW is the climate. We commonly see cars and trucks out here built in the 60's and 70's driven everyday and NO RUST.

The more I read up on that 22R motor in the older Toyota's a little pick up might fill the bill....we shall see.

I got one, 90 toyota pickup, 22R with a 4 speed manual transmission, the drive train is solid, the rest of the truck not so much. I've had it for 15 years and so far have replaced the clutch, shocks, brakes, battery, muffler, and a stupid nylon bushing on the bottom of the stick shift, other than regular maintenance, that's it. it still has the original radiator.

I keep saying I'm going to replace it in a year or so, but never had a need to.

There was a time where the answer to this was simple - a VW bug. Two people could take it apart and put it back together in an hour. One guy to work on it and another to hold it up in the air. Not sure if there are any of the old air cooled engines still around but...

Alternatively, depending on availability, an old car or truck with a diesel engine is usually pretty easy to work on.

If you don't care about power, an pre-87 Mercedes 240D. They were taxi cabs for much of the world, and absurdly easy to work on, and beautifully made. - be sure to get the 85MPH chassis, or switch out the rear diff to that ratio, if you get one.

How far is back and forth to work? (At $3/gal )

- A car that might not break down much might be a good option.

- Easy to work on...Jeep. But, a key being that you will want good A/C in Mesa?

Maybe...as much as it would make you feel great to give the new car to your youngest...they might really get a lot out of getting their first post-grad. job and buying their own ?

I have a 1998 Ford Ranger. It has done pretty well for the last 130,000 miles. It has mostly recognizable components. :rolleyes: It does have a computer but that has been hacked for years and you can get a device to read it out. In fact there are firmware tweaks you can do. The same basic engine was used in the Merkur. The 4 cyl gets about 26-27 highway.

I was going to go against the grain and recommend an old Toyota truck. I had an 88 4wd with the 22RE that I drove for 18 years and sold it because I did not have the skills or time to give it the TLC it needed to go another 100k. I put 125k on it and never did much but batteries, exhaust, tires and pretty religious oil changes.

JMan - I made my living building racecars for 10 years, so I know my way around a vehicle. Back about 1989 I decided that I could either buy a new vechicle and pay $200 a month payment or get another turd and spend $200 a month on parts. I decided to save money on soap and skip the time spent on my back under the car.

You didn't say how far it is to work? Now if you live more than 20 miles from work, I'm going to tell you to stop the foolish thinking about driving an old gas hog. There are a few deals out there right not in cars that are good sense Toyota Corolla (buy american, one of the most american made cars on the road, Camary is the most american), Mazda 3, Nissan Sentra. These are all cars capable of 35-37 mpg, reliable and in expensisve to buy. The expectation is that Gasoline will be $5.00 per gallon by 2012 so those gas hogs will be very unpopular again soon.

If you are going to persist be sure to get a stick shift. 3 years ago I bought a 98 Sentra for one of my daughters dirt cheap with a messed up trans. I bought a trans at the junk yard with < 15k on it for $200. Yes manual trans, now that is about a 4K savings compared to going to a auto trans shop and getting put down. The clutch kit cost me $120 and 3 hours later she was driving her car.

Easiest car to work on ever made: Chevy Caprice/Impala.

Otherwise: almost any truck, preferably older, and GM, because they share more parts with other vehicles

First car I ever drove was my dad's Chevy Caprice. Drove it for about 8 years.

Easy to fix, but things always went wonky...it was getting old.

Jman,

I'd make you a scramin deal on a '66 Ford Camper special. The only problem is that we are about 2 states away. I have to second the get something that you don't HAVE to work on. The reliabilty + payment vs. no payment + downtime + repair costs.

On the other hand, I want to find a 60's International Scout or Ford Bronco :devil:

Maybe...as much as it would make you feel great to give the new car to your youngest...they might really get a lot out of getting their first post-grad. job and buying their own ?

You would be embarrassed of this statement if you were fully aware of the particulars. ;) I may well be mis-reading it but it is a tad presumptuous...no?

Jim

I'm with CocoBolo, spend money on payments and get better mileage a warranty and piece of mind and weekends free, or spend money on parts, and weekends crawling around on the ground, and trust me if something is gonnabreak it's gonna break on a Sunday evening, in the rain, when it's freezing, and you gotta be at work Monday.