Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Haven't met morethan a few, but when I met TGO he was WAY cool. Easy to be around, nice to young shooters, and besides he has been around forever, and is still on top in the sport.

When my wife talked to BE on the phone, when ordering his book for me for X-mas, she went on and on about how nice he was. Besides he has provided this great place for shooters to get info. I have to respect that.

although many more deserve mention, I would say those that pushed past established limits at their time, and showed that *far greater* accomplishments are possible than anyone else even thought human at the time. TGO and BE in the 80s, and more recently Eric Grauffel. Although those are critical times for a sport because when one person wins every single contest he enters, by a significant margin, it may serve more as a turn-off than a turn on for everyone else...

--Detlef

It appears as if I am squadded with Mr. Anderson at the AL State match. Can't wait to glean some info from him as well as Messrs. Tilley and Bragg.

Every top shooter I have met or come into contact with has been very approachable and extremely open. I guess I respect them each in a different way. Max and Chris Tilley for what they accomplished at such a young age, for example. Then you have guys like Emanuel Bragg and Phil Strader that show what can be done by those of middle age... :D

I respect them all for their dedication. Don't think I could pick just one, though. This forum has become pretty popular, I wouldn't want to alienate myself :P

Good Ole' Emmanuel.....boy the first time I met him was at Area 6. I was over playing on the shotgun side match and ups walks this ordinary looking guy. To me he didn't even look like a shooter. Well he watches me shoot a few runs and I am now holding the fastest run for the day. I feel pretty good about it and start to leave. Then I see this guy shoot and say "WOW", that looked fast. Yep, he beat my time, I think it was his first run. For the nest 2 hours we take turns beating each others time. It's getting dark and I now hold the record again after many, many runs and A LOT of money. He says he's gonna run it one more time, beats my time. Damn I'm tired but have to much invested now. I have $3 left for 3 runs. I give the R/O the money, and he's just laughing. I load, make ready, and I feel this hand on my shoulder. He says, with his hand extended, lets split the money. What a gentleman. I don't think I had it in me to beat him one more time and we split the money as we agreed we would. I still think I lost money compared to what I payed, but it sure was fun and it was fun to meet such a guy as him.

Phil S. and Dave S. For starters, and obviously, they are both phenominal shooters. They are also both exceedingly, and genuinely, nice people. I am your average nobody in this sport, and I run into them maybe 3 times a year, and at the last match, both remembered me by name, and recalled facts about my life (job etc.) that I didn't even recall telling them. Ordinary guys with extraordinary skills and personalities.

I've only met just a few:

Adam Popplewell is a real nice guy. I have been around him a couple of times down in Texas and he was friendly and easy to talk to.

Dave Sevigny is of course the ultimate nice guy. Sometime before IDPA nats last year, he reminded me to take out my steel guide rod for SSP. How in the heck did he remember that from FGN a few months before? It's because he actually paid attention when we talked. He also sent me a couple of copies of the GSSF magazine when my subscription ran out. (same time I got my name on the cover, go figure)

Notice I didn't say anything about egos. I am sure both of the above examples have an ego, I know I do. I think all the really good shooters have big egos, it just comes with the territory. You would have to know you are at the top, they just don't talk down to everyone else, and that makes all the difference.

On the other hand, I have been around a few of the others, and they acted like supreme aholes when I tried to strike up a conversation. I didn't want to talk just because of who they were, I was just talking to whoever was besides me. That won't happen again!

Why thanks, Roy! I guess I still don't consider myself a 'top shooter'. I did some good last year, I guess if I repeat I'll start to believe it.

But back when we met I was a newbie B class, I could be a total jackass now. :P

(that was a fun squad, BTW)

Which of the Top Level Shooters to you have the most respect for and why?

I have a few thoughts on this but wanted to wait and see what your thoughts were.

I have met quite a few of them and have been impressed with each and every one of them, but the question was who we respect most and why.

#1 Todd Jarrett.

Why? While working my first area match as a newbie in USPSA, Todd came to my stage along with the rest of the top dogs.

My wife was helping me out on the stage that day. She does not shoot due to a physical malady incurred at birth but she hides it well. It does not stop her from supporting me in my enjoyment of the sport however and she helps at the bigger matches doing scoring and resetting the stage.

Todd same up and took the target tape from her and told her that he would take care of it so the she could take a well deserved rest.

Pure class act. Little things like that tend to stick with you.

Our host for putting up with us, keeping a focus on accuracy, and having an open mind. And for being the 1st big dog I ever had to shoot off against. Ouch! I'll bet he is still spitting out pieces of my @$$.

TGO because he is TGO! He has got to be the ultimate handgunner. He's not just a super speedy open class hoser, he can (and has) won the accuracy oriented events as well. Nobody has yet to knock him off the Single Stack pedestal. He is always eager and willing to help other shooters. And he's funny.

But I have the most respect for Mike Voigt because he shoots EVERYTHING at such an extremely competitive level. I can't think of anyone else who can shoot such a wide variety of firearms (Limited, Open, USPSA 3 Gun, Tactical 3 gun, Sporting Clays, STC, Sniper rifles and probably rock throwing) and win. While I consider TGO the ultimate handgunner, I think Mike has got to be the ultimate all around shooter. Like TGO, he is always willing to help out newer shooters with advice. Hail, El Prez!

i haven't shot any majors with open yet, but i was fortunate to be in the supersquad for limited @ area 2, last year... i really look up to those guys who can maintain their focus during a stage, but completely loosen up and relax afterwards.

blake, dave, and taran are the ones to watch B)

for open, i think max michel is definitely a great example - he can easily relate to a lot of the junior shooters - just an awesome shooter

Well I have only been to one match and not shot one yet but I would have to go with Phil S. He is a very personable, polite, and always eager to point out when you have your weak hand wrong while shooting. LOL. Just an all around nice fellow. Hopefully get to meet many more then I can expand on this. Though I consider him a top shooter and an extremely nice person I would have to also add Doug. Sorry Doug I dont remember your last name but loved the match you set up at shooters and am truly thankful for you showing me the "ropes" While I was there. I truly appriciated it.

Paul Franklin

Flex and 3QT are just too kind...

If anyone thinks they'll never get there, ask Kyle about our first practice together...not too long ago. :)

Max and Travis are the top shooters I respect most, although I have yet to meet one that hasn't been gracious.

It is their service to our country that puts Max and Travis over the top for me. They could likely be on any team they want (cue the patriotic music, please) but they chose to join the Army.

SA

I think Mike has got to be the ultimate all around shooter.

I have to speak up here for Jerry Miculek, I've only met the guy twice but both times he was absolutely down to earth, completely free of ego, and always willing to give advice. Watching him run a pump shotgun, or revolver, is a religious experience. Jerry is old school "he-man".

He gets my vote for best all around, but based on results alone it's hard to argue with Mike Voigt.

I'm lucky enough to shoot with Phil Strader and Todd Jarrett once in awhile, and both of them are super individuals to talk to and learn from - Phil always asks if I want any advice before he comments, as if I'd turn it down - and clearly both can drive a pistol pretty good.

There are so many good ones it is hard to choose just one.

Max M. and Travis T., man they are just a couple of guys that love to shoot. Yea, there good but so down to earth.

TJ, wow when I took the class from his he was also very down to earth.

TGO, for being the best for so long. I have never met him, but respect his accomplishments.

Jerry B. for his intenisty. TJ has so great stories about the "Burner".

The young guns, Max M., Chris Tilley, and the others that I missed who were able to master pistol shooting at such an early age.