Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Burris Tac30 1-4

ktm300

Quick question for TAC30 owners - Anything you can say you DON'T like about the scope? It seems like a no brainer to pick one up after reading nothing but praise for such a low priced optic!

I received my TAC30, haven't taken it out to run it yet, so no feedback on that part yet but I do like the reticle. As others, I find the circle pretty overly heavy but I suppose it provides a good backup for quick hosing if your illumination is out.

I will say that I despise the switch for illumination. If you look inside, there is basically a rubber cover with a raised part (acting as the button) which pushes down on the CR2032 battery itself, which in turn actuates a metal leaf spring type of switch underneath. Also the way it works -- push once to turn on (remembers last setting), each time you push briefly it cycles up one at a time, then it starts going down (i.e. 7,8,9,10,9,8). If you wanted the highest setting and went too far, in order to change directions, you have to hold the button down (but not too long because then it will turn off). I think it's a miserable user design... of course, I've been spoiled by the Meopta K-Dot, with its old fashioned knob and off positions between each illumination setting! :D

Seems pretty clear this was a spot where they achieved some cost savings! But to be fair, this is a $300 price point, and it's a great value, and for the money, I think better that they put their limited budget toward the glass!

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got mine all mounted up.......trying to get out to the range, but the current "arctic freeze" which is hitting TX has made taking the 2 hrs needed to chrono, sight in, and take some shots with this new bad boy very unappealing...As other have mentioned, it is a HUGE improvement over the Millet, just in terms of glass quality, and 1X power....as others have mentioned, I can see my muzzle brake through the glass at 1X and have no problem shooting (well....I haven't shot yet, but "transitioning" at my mock target setup in the house) both eyes open which I did struggle doing with the millet.

Pending that this optic stands the tests of a full season of hard 3 gun, I would venture to suggest that it will soon be the new entry level scope (replacing the millet) especially at its price!!!

Pics and range report to come as soon as the damn temp. gets above 25

IF YOU TRUELY CARED ABOUT YOUR FELLOW SHOOTERS YOU WOULD GET OUT THERE AND GET US A REPORT! I've cleared mines out of the Chesapeak Bay in Feb (right up untill the Coast Guard killed us--we were on their team by the way) but come on, go shoot that thing. Frostbitten digits can always be removed later! :goof:

Got mine all mounted up.......trying to get out to the range, but the current "arctic freeze" which is hitting TX has made taking the 2 hrs needed to chrono, sight in, and take some shots with this new bad boy very unappealing...As other have mentioned, it is a HUGE improvement over the Millet, just in terms of glass quality, and 1X power....as others have mentioned, I can see my muzzle brake through the glass at 1X and have no problem shooting (well....I haven't shot yet, but "transitioning" at my mock target setup in the house) both eyes open which I did struggle doing with the millet.

Pending that this optic stands the tests of a full season of hard 3 gun, I would venture to suggest that it will soon be the new entry level scope (replacing the millet) especially at its price!!!

Pics and range report to come as soon as the damn temp. gets above 25

I thought the Weaver 1-3x was the entry level. Well I guess not since I can see my muzzle break at 1x with it. The Weaver doesn't need batteries and there are no confusing recticles just a nice cross hair! I'll see you at the TX State 2-Gun, and I want to have a peek at your Burris, and I'll even let you look at my comp thru the Weaver so you can see how much better the Burris might be. Well good luck with that thing, maybe you need to go tomorrow while it is thawed out. I shot mine last Saturday, but that BigBrown dog guy Trapr beat me a little. Or should I say like a rented mule. I just got a notice from UPS that my Weapon Light is delayed due to weather, guess I'll have to use some of those birthday candles you can't blow out for the night match.

Would you guys recommend a normal (LaRue SPR, ADM recon) or an extended (SPR-E, Recon-X) for this scope?

I would say go with the SPR-E, you can always move the scope mount back on the receiver if it's too far out. But I ended up going with the PEPR mount and it is working good for me.

MB

Would you guys recommend a normal (LaRue SPR, ADM recon) or an extended (SPR-E, Recon-X) for this scope?

I would say go with the SPR-E, you can always move the scope mount back on the receiver if it's too far out. But I ended up going with the PEPR mount and it is working good for me.

MB

I have the PEPR, I was very disappointed to find that if you take it off and put it back on your POI moves about 4"s at 25 yards. I am looking at the American Defense mount, several shooters have told me that its return to zero is better than the LaRue mount. I had to move my PEPR back a bit to get the perfect eye relief but as mounts go it is a good one just doesn't return to zero. On Short range tactical matches it is nice to throw the EO Tech on, then for 3-Gun change to the tube.

MB

I have the PEPR, I was very disappointed to find that if you take it off and put it back on your POI moves about 4"s at 25 yards. I am looking at the American Defense mount, several shooters have told me that its return to zero is better than the LaRue mount. I had to move my PEPR back a bit to get the perfect eye relief but as mounts go it is a good one just doesn't return to zero. On Short range tactical matches it is nice to throw the EO Tech on, then for 3-Gun change to the tube.

You were told wrong. Both LaRue and ADM mounts return to zero very well. Neither is better than the other.

I've tested several with heat cycles (-10 to 90 degrees) and found that the JP mount was the only one that had no measureable change in POI. LaRue was pretty darn close and definately could have been within the margin of error, group center moved 1/2" on a 1" group @ 100 yards. Others were more than what is acceptable to me.

The illumination intensity button is kind of a pain as I think it has too much adjustment. I'm not sure what the reticle T bars are useful for. Also, with the center reticle dot size, no "precision" work can be done but that's kind of the idea of the scope I guess. I was able to get about a 1 MOA group at 100yds doing my best to center the dot on the larger black circular target. Overall I am happy with the optic and PEPR mount.

Here are some shameless photos of the installation.

AR-023.jpg

AR-014.jpg

AR-010.jpg

AR-026.jpg

Edited by huskerlrrp

The illumination intensity button is kind of a pain as I think it has too much adjustment. I'm not sure what the reticle T bars are useful for. Also, with the center reticle dot size, no "precision" work can be done but that's kind of the idea of the scope I guess. I was able to get about a 1 MOA group at 100yds doing my best to center the dot on the larger black circular target. Overall I am happy with the optic and PEPR mount.

What on earth is that on the end of your barrel?

What on earth is that on the end of your barrel?

Old school Fabian Brothers Comp/Flash Supressor (it was in my spare parts box). I'll probably switch to the Corvette comp.

I've tested several with heat cycles (-10 to 90 degrees) and found that the JP mount was the only one that had no measureable change in POI. LaRue was pretty darn close and definately could have been within the margin of error, group center moved 1/2" on a 1" group @ 100 yards. Others were more than what is acceptable to me.

Thaks MarKCO I'll have a look at the JP mount. The Weaver is a 1" and while I've made a little fun of this Burris I'm considering it. My next match out ot 500 yards will decide on a new optic and mount or a cheap 16" uppper for the Carbine Matches.

MB

I have tested my Larue many times and have never had to re zero it.

I re-mounted mine on the PEPR mount and shot it yesterday in a match. I am amazed at how much faster I can aquire the targets. It was an IDPA rules and scored carbine match so precison was needed. It was also short range up to 25-30 yards max. It took me a couple of stages to work on targeting the "0" ring and not just getting 2 on the paper. By the 2nd or 3rd stage I was consistently shooting in the zero center ring. I really like this scope. I have found that you use the outer ring to kind of bracket the target rather than just concentrating on the crosshair. So far it has worked great and moving it forward with the PEPR gives me the eye relief I need.

Finally was able to get out and shoot this past weekend. Really liked the optic clarity of this new burris. Was able to shoot pretty good groups by using a target with a white center and a black outer ring. When the weather clears up hope to try out the long range dots. :cheers:

Jim

ty-21785

Does anyone make a cat tail that works with this scope?

I just put the MGM SwitchView for the Leupold CQ/T on mine last night. I put the screw head on the focus ring in the notch closest to where the lever pieces screw together.

This puts the lever at high noon on 1X and at 5:00 at 4x. I don't know if this is optimal, but it seems to be ok.

leupold_cqt_lrg.jpg

The CQ/T power ring is a little bigger than the TAC-30 so I filed down the mating surfaces where the 2 SwitchView pieces go together, allowing it to squeeze a little tighter. It seems to be on there solid now, but I may to a squeak more filing to get it to contact all the way around the ring.

I'll try to post pics soon.

- Nealio

Does anyone make a cat tail that works with this scope?

I just put the MGM SwitchView for the Leupold CQ/T on mine last night. I put the screw head on the focus ring in the notch closest to where the lever pieces screw together.

This puts the lever at high noon on 1X and at 5:00 at 4x. I don't know if this is optimal, but it seems to be ok.

leupold_cqt_lrg.jpg

The CQ/T power ring is a little bigger than the TAC-30 so I filed down the mating surfaces where the 2 SwitchView pieces go together, allowing it to squeeze a little tighter. It seems to be on there solid now, but I may to a squeak more filing to get it to contact all the way around the ring.

I'll try to post pics soon.

- Nealio

This is what I did also. Seems to work fine, although I haven't mounted it on the rifle yet. I didn't do any filing on my switchview, it seems pretty tight as is. I like the high noon and five o'clock positions.

Anyone mount one of these yet with an LT139 mount? Wondering if it will fit with the low rings.

Yep, fits fine, even with the MGM throw lever for the Leupold. Just switched my TAC 30 over from a Rock River High rise cantilever scope mount over to the Larue SPR-E and it's much better for me, can move the scope out further and shoot NTCH. Still plenty of room to move it back if you don't want it that far forward.

Anyone mount one of these yet with an LT139 mount? Wondering if it will fit with the low rings.

Yep, fits fine, even with the MGM throw lever for the Leupold. Just switched my TAC 30 over from a Rock River High rise cantilever scope mount over to the Larue SPR-E and it's much better for me, can move the scope out further and shoot NTCH. Still plenty of room to move it back if you don't want it that far forward.

Standard or high rings?

Standard or high rings?

The standard rings that come with the SPR-E.. I believe Larue makes a model that is 1.93" above the rail as opposed to the normal 1.75" (i think). The 1.93 model is the same as the 104 model (not extended as far as the SPR-E) but that one has higher rings on it, but I personally see no benefit, the SPR-E with the standard rings works fine for me. YMMV

Standard or high rings?

The standard rings that come with the SPR-E.. I believe Larue makes a model that is 1.93" above the rail as opposed to the normal 1.75" (i think). The 1.93 model is the same as the 104 model (not extended as far as the SPR-E) but that one has higher rings on it, but I personally see no benefit, the SPR-E with the standard rings works fine for me. YMMV

I would agree on the standard rings....better cheek weld with that setup. I was concerned that the small cover that protrudes at 45 from the bottom of the scope might interfere with the base but it doesnt sound like it is an issue. Thanks for the help. I love the SPR-E mount and am anxious to get the Burris mounted on my JP to try it out. It is replacing a Trijicon Accupnt 1.25-4 that never really agreed with me.