Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Burris Tac30 1-4

ktm300

Finally got a chance to take mine to the range today. Mounted it on my 3-gun rifle - LaRue SPR-E mount, 18" 1in8 twist barrel. The field of view is tremendous compared to the Millett DMS. At 1X, I can see the comp at the end of the barrel. 5 shots to zero at 100 yards. BDC worked for 200yds, but I was unable to go any further due to the fog and misting rain.

On another note, I was going to get a Switchview, but found this on another thread here: My link

2 shipped to me for $21. Works great! Nothing against the Switchfiew and Cat Tail, but this is a less expensive route, especially since they don't offer one specifically for this scope.

Pics to follow...

Edited by prreed10

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Finally got a chance to take mine to the range today. Mounted it on my 3-gun rifle - LaRue SPR-E mount, 18" 1in8 twist barrel. The field of view is tremendous compared to the Millett DMS. At 1X, I can see the comp at the end of the barrel. 5 shots to zero at 100 yards. BDC worked for 200yds, but I was unable to go any further due to the fog and misting rain.

I can back this up. Took mine out to sight it in today as well. Just as you said it kills the dms on FOV. I can see the end of my TRX rail thru the scope on 1x. I still can't believe how much of an upgrade this is over the dms for just a bit more money. I do wish the center/100yd dot was smaller though but it doesn't bother me much.

Edited by JaeOne3345

No parallax adjustment, it's not needed on a scope of this power.

After seeing mine, a buddy ordered one for his new rifle as well, and we both sighted them in and played with a few loads Saturday. The big center dot isn't good for shooting groups (no surprise, that's not what it's designed for,) but we ended up putting the bullseye on the bottom of the target and using the 300 yard dot at 200. It worked well enough to let us know what the rifles liked, I'm really impressed with this scope for the money.

I bought a Burris TAC30 1-4x24 and P.E.P.R. mount from Midway for an AR upper that hasn't come in yet.

In the mean time, I've been playing with the scope by itself, and I noticed that the reticle size does not change with the magnification power.

This mean that the ranging dots and distances subtend different MOA values at different magnifications.

Maybe this could use some explanation. Check out this image of the reticle from Burris:

ballistic_cqreticle_dia.jpg

Notice that the center dot is labeled: 2/3 mil (2.4" @ 100 yds)

So is this specification true at 1X, 2X, 3X, or 4X? Since the reticle doesn't change size with the magnification, it can't be true for all magnifications.

It can only be true for just one magnification, for example:

If at 1X magnification the center dot subtends 2.4" @ 100 yds, then when switching to 4X magnification, the dot stays the same apparent size in your field of view while the viewing image gets 4X bigger, so the center dot would subtend only 0.6" @ 100 yds.

Or if it's at 4X magnification that the center dot subtends 2.4" @ 100 yds, then when switching to 1X magnification the dot again stays the same apparent size in your field of view, while the viewing image shrinks by 4X, so the the dot now subtends 9.6" @ 100 yds.

So at which magnification are the ranging dots designed to be used? 4X makes sense to me, but I'm not sure.

I could probably find this out for myself by putting objects of known size, like a 1" grid or ruler at a known distance, like 100 yds, and seeing at which magnification do all the specified measurements match up to what I'm seeing. However, I would feel kind of stupid taking just the unmounted scope to the range since I don't have the rifle yet.

Someone just tell me!

for most scopes with BDC reticles, if the reticle itself does not change size when you adjust the power, then it needs to be on max power to be accruate. if it does adjust with power, then it doesnt matter what power its on.

On another note, I was going to get a Switchview, but found this on another thread here: My link

2 shipped to me for $21. Works great! Nothing against the Switchfiew and Cat Tail, but this is a less expensive route, especially since they don't offer one specifically for this scope.

Pics to follow...

photo_1_8_.JPG

photo_2_19_.JPG

Best target I shot that day. 100yds with handloads using a 75gr Hornady bullet. I believe it was more luck than anything because as posted above, the center dot is large and makes the optic hard to shoot for an accurate group.

photo_3_11_.JPG

Edited by prreed10

I used the the same orange dots. The Tac30 covered the largest of those orange decals in the package. I was happy gettng all my shots inside of the orange. Quite a few clovers but yea, not good for shooting groups (I knew that from the get go though).

Ryan,

Do those breakaway coasters allow you to get them real tight? Did you notice if they slip at all?

I was real skeptical at first, but they do get really tight. The knob rides the threads down. I have pulled forward and backwards as well as quickly moving form 1 to 4X and it's not budging. I installed it as tight as I could, marked the tabs, backed the knob off, trimmed the tabs and then re-tightened as tight as I could get it.

Looks to be designed for an off-shore rig, so if it can handle several hundred pounds of fighting fish, I think it will be OK on my Burris. :D

Is the size of scope and/or eye relief sufficient for this to be mounted with regular rings on the flat top upper or does it need to be a forward type mount?

Smitty

If you use regular rings they will have to be the extra highs (warne's are on sale at brownells right now) with a center line around 1.3-1.6 above the picatinny rail.

If mounting the scope traditionally doesn't give you enough eye relief you can easily put both rings on the rear portion of the scope to buy some real estate to move the scope forward.

Looks a little odd but works just fine.

You should also consider what kind of LOP you have.

I switched from a magpul acs carbine stock to an a1 vltor rifle stock.

When I used a shorter LOP with the magpul ACS the American Defense Recon-X mount was necessary. Now with the Vltor rifle stock I could have went with the regular Recon model.

When you're shooting at small targets far out, say 4MOA targets, do you find that they are more difficult to stay directly on due to the enlarged center dot?

Would anyone mind posting a few picks looking through the reticle at a close (15M), midrange (100M), and semi far (300M) to give us an idea of our sight pictures?

and....is this IN STOCK anywhere right now? SWFA doesn't say they are backordered, but I fear as soon as I submit the order I will receive the email "sorry backordered"

Edited by GorillaTactical

Josh, If you are shooting at something at 300 yards, you would use the 300 yard dot, which is only 1.2 MOA. That still leaves plenty of 4moa target sticking out behind the dot.

The 100 yard dot is big, but only if you were trying to shoot golf balls at 100. For paper or the narrow MGM auto poppers it's a good size.

and....is this IN STOCK anywhere right now? SWFA doesn't say they are backordered, but I fear as soon as I submit the order I will receive the email "sorry backordered"

I just ordered from them Wednesday and got the backordered email Wed evening.

No problem on a 2" target at 100 yards. Smaller than that could get a tad tough.

I just received a bunch yesterday, so they should be hitting the distributors that ordered them very shortly.

Josh, If you are shooting at something at 300 yards, you would use the 300 yard dot, which is only 1.2 MOA. That still leaves plenty of 4moa target sticking out behind the dot.

The 100 yard dot is big, but only if you were trying to shoot golf balls at 100. For paper or the narrow MGM auto poppers it's a good size.

I figured...I've just shot a 1moa center for a while now so was curious how it'd look

No problem on a 2" target at 100 yards. Smaller than that could get a tad tough.

I just received a bunch yesterday, so they should be hitting the distributors that ordered them very shortly.

Wooot.

I've only used optics on bolt rifles so noob question here.

I bought the TAC30 and the Burris PEPR mount, going on the picatinny rail on a flattop DPMS. Do I just tighten the snot out of the mount onto the rail or is there a risk of bending something?

Thanks.

I've only used optics on bolt rifles so noob question here.

I bought the TAC30 and the Burris PEPR mount, going on the picatinny rail on a flattop DPMS. Do I just tighten the snot out of the mount onto the rail or is there a risk of bending something?

Thanks.

They actually give torque values for installing the PEPR mount. It might be something like 65-100 inch pounds. Look at the paperwork with the mount.