Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Profanity On The Range...

BlackSabbath

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I'm really not good enough, don't practice or shoot enough to get as angry as I do, I am guilty of shouting out something I shouldn't every once in a while.

The next time I get the urge, I'll try and remember this thread.

I just removed some rebuttals and will reopen this.

Please, review the Hate Forum Guidelines if you must. They're readily available at the top of this page for your viewing pleasure.

Otherwise, please carefully consider this excerpt:

General or supportive-related comments are not prohibited; however - rebuttals are specifically prohibited.

If you don't agree with someone's rant - keep it to yourself.

I don't hate it, but I don't like it either. Sometimes a loud, angry voice shouting expletives frightens people at the range.

I have always had a fast temper, and at times in the past it has led to outburst. I've come to realize that these outburst do nothing to help me and in fact might unintentionally hurt others. I now keep my mouth shut, no longer get angry (at least in public at the range!), and just have a good time.

Sorry if this is a rebuttal.....

I don't hate it, but I don't like it either. Sometimes a loud, angry voice shouting expletives frightens people at the range.

I have always had a fast temper, and at times in the past it has led to outburst. I've come to realize that these outburst do nothing to help me and in fact might unintentionally hurt others. I now keep my mouth shut, no longer get angry (at least in public at the range!), and just have a good time.

Sorry if this is a rebuttal.....

Doesn't sound like one to me.

===============

I was raised in the military and my first real job was 7+ yearsin the oil patch. I can cuss hard enough to peel the chrome off a bumper.

I try to monitor myself, sometimes unsuccessfully, and a remoinder like this every now and then doesn't hurt a bit.

Yes I hate the fact that I cannot always find a more eloquent way to express my dissatisfaction with my shooting performances. I'll plead guilty to using construction site language, but I try to do so only when it is just us guys. When the ladies and children are present, I make a supreme effort to at the very least keep it to a few D@mns and the like, no F-Bombs. I also try to stress the importance of this to the rest of the shooters. Interestingly enough I have been thanked by some of the ladies for this. I have also heard some rather salty language from them.

I don't mind when people swear. Sometimes f*#k is the only word that adequately describes the situation. <_<

I am trying to keep my verbal tirades under control. It has become easier the older I get. It's been a long time since I destroyed some shit when I got got upset. I kinda miss the calming affect that it had on me. :lol:

Mr. Norman,

When I shot with you at York the other month you were an absolute gentleman. It was an honor to meet and shoot with you.

Also, thank you for your stage breakdown and analysis which was excellent.

In regards to the topic, we should just use more discretion. The idea of time and place is critical and necessary. We are human and fallible, $#it happens just be aware of who you are shooting with.

Edited by PINMAN44

I could be foul-mouthed if I wanted to, but I cool it in public (at the range, in this case, since we're talking about The Range). When I see one of my shots go hinky I tend to just make a noise like a disgusting groan... kinda like the one you'd make if you stepped in dog feces. That suffices for swearing at the range and accomplishes a similar sort of venting. :D

I could be foul-mouthed if I wanted to, but I cool it in public (at the range, in this case, since we're talking about The Range). When I see one of my shots go hinky I tend to just make a noise like a disgusting groan... kinda like the one you'd make if you stepped in dog feces. That suffices for swearing at the range and accomplishes a similar sort of venting. :D

Dog Poo... Truly a sterling example of self control! biggrin.gif

It's also annoying when you're showing youtube video to family to show what it's all about, and suddenly there's a barrage of f-bombs coming from the shooter or spectators in the background. Those videos posted for the world to see don't put the sport in a family-friendly light.

That said, I'm also guilty as charged.

Edited by NewColonial

Great comments everyone. I never expected this thread to turn out so well, and by the good grace of the mods its remained open. Most all of those have done this if you've been in the sport long enough, myself included. But if we want to grow the sport like we all claim, we need to change this. By the looks of this thread, I know we can. :cheers:

I am one that grew up with no profanity in the house, so it is rather easy for me to not use it.

BUT, why do so many people think that it should not be used.....among children....among women.....BUT it is alright to use among grown men? I am a grown man and do not like it. If you can refrain from using it in places of business and in public places, then why show less respect when on the range? For some reason people think it does not offend grown men. I am offended by profanity on the range.