Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Source for glue-on grit ?

StealthyBlagga

• 2 weeks later...

Epoxy and aluminum oxide. Pm me ur address and ill send u some alum ox...have plenty

Is the aluminum oxide black and is it the same material found on grip tape?

You can get it is different colors and aluminum oxide is used on skateboard tape (grip tape), sandblasting, and sandpaper. About any pace that does sandblasting will have it, and a handful will do many grips.

I bought a gun from "General CHang" and it looks like it has coarse skateboard tape on it. Is the advantage of mixing your own to keep the grip diameter smaller than with the grip tape? I ask because the grip is almost too big for me.

Thanks,

Rick

I've used aluminum oxide on several grips and am happy with the results. I do any grip reduction and blending with my 1" belt sander and Foredom leaving the grip semi-rough. I wash it down with alcohol then apply a coat of JB Weld which I warm with a heat gun so it flows and settles. Next comes the AO which I liberally pour over the grip. Next I gently pat the AO into the JB Weld and then set aside for a couple of days. I've never had a problem with the AO cracking or flaking off. The AO is Brownells Extra Course (080-206-060) which may be extra course for blasting but is not extra course on the grip. It provides a good complete grip but still allows me to shift my strong hand when and if necessary.

When I clean the gun the grip is empty and I use alcohol with Q-Tips and a rag.

Pat

Edited by whatmeworry

Thanks. I haven't shot this gun during the summer, so I haven't experienced that yet. I didn't figure it would wear out, but if it starts to shift it would make sense that you would have to replace it. Let me know how the JB Weld works.

Thanks Again,

Rick

So JB Weld works better than normal epoxy?

Getting ready to do mine soon.

Brad

As I've only used JB Weld for my grips I can't say it's better than other epoxies. I've had no bad experiences with it so no reason to change.

Pat

Could someone post a picture of the finished product when they get done? I'm very new at this and I'll still wondering why not just use skateboard tape.

The large grip on my M&P had so much curveature that the tape would never lay flat, much less stay put. That's why I glued on the sand.

I use Loctite Plastic Epoxy using a similar procedure as Whatmeworry. The only difference is I add a couple drops of black dye to the epoxy before spreading it on the grip. The epoxy is honey colored when mixed and will dry semi transparent. By adding the black dye it gives a nice solid black color to the area that is coated. I use the dye that came with Brownell's Acraglass. I use an acid brush to "paint" the epoxy on the grip and blue painter's tape to mask off the areas I don't want coated. I remove the tape after applying the AO, but before the epoxy starts to set. In my experience it isn't necessary to warm the epoxy for easy application.