Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best 1911 Brand and Model for Competition

GlockOp

Just interested in some knowledgeable opinions on which 1911-45 brand and model you consider the best for IDPA or other pistol competitions? Not necessarily the most expensive, but the best value.

regards

Mike

Ive owned quite a few. My current favorite is my spartan. I know it seems like everyone is on the STI bandwagon right now and I was a little apprehensive, but... I aquired mine in a trade. it was new and the only thing I've really had to change is the grips because i prefer slim grips and I had to change the mainspring housing because the slip on magwell wouldnt fit so I had to use a magwell that was attached to the mainspring. I actually shot a steel match 2 days after getting it and had no issues.

"The best" is very subjective! I like my Springers but you have to put some money into them for me to consider them good. The best for me would be the one I'm having built but it might not be the best for you and it won't be cheap either. I would have to agree with Eric, if you want a good value the spartan has a lot to offer.

There really isn't any correct answer here. The votes for the Spartan and Premier II are both excellent choices directed at somewhat different buyers. The street price on a Spartan is about $630. The street price on a Premier II is around $1800 after you add a magwell. Is the PII a "better" gun from a quality standpoint?...almost certainly. Is it three times better than a Spartan?...I can't see how it could be.

If you've got the cash, and want something a little nicer, the PII is a great option that you won't likely regret. If you aren't flush with extra $$...get something like the Spartan, or split the difference and go with a Trojan, and use the extra money for other stuff. R,

Edited by G-ManBart

If you've got the cash, and want something a little nicer, the PII is a great option that you won't likely regret. If you aren't flush with extra $$...get something like the Sparta, or split the difference and go with a Trojan, and use the extra money for other stuff.

That's me, right there. I could get a . . . oh, say $1300 pistol . . . and wish I had the money to do the upgrades I want. Or get a spartan and put the difference into upgrades and ammo. I'm seeing a Spartan in my (very near) future.

If you've got the cash, and want something a little nicer, the PII is a great option that you won't likely regret. If you aren't flush with extra $$...get something like the Sparta, or split the difference and go with a Trojan, and use the extra money for other stuff.

That's me, right there. I could get a . . . oh, say $1300 pistol . . . and wish I had the money to do the upgrades I want. Or get a spartan and put the difference into upgrades and ammo. I'm seeing a Spartan in my (very near) future.

The good thing is that it won't hold you back one bit. A "better" gun might be a touch more accurate, maybe last longer, etc, but it won't be a huge difference. By the time you get this one worn out, you could have the money saved up for something a little spendier. R,

I own 4 Wilosn 1911s and one STI Trojan. If somebody asked me what to buy for competitive shooting I would tell them to buy the Trojan. The Wilson pistols are built from the best parts available and the fit, finish and accuracy are excellent, but they are very pricey now and you just don't have to spend that kind of money on a competitive 1911. Buy the Trojan do a trigger job on it and shoot the hell out of it. Upgrade parts as needed or as you want to.

I've owned a bunch of different 1911's, I've had a Dan Wesson, 4 different Kimbers, a Smith and Wesson 1911, then I ended up getting a Nighthawk custom Talon that I use in CDP for IDPA. Great gun but too expensive.

I do own a STI Sentry in 9mm and never had issues with it. I found out the hard way that you can get an STI that functions just as well as the "custom" guns and they are a lot less expensive.

For CDP I would just get a Colt XSE. Its not much more than any of the cast framed 1911s.

I'm actually shooting an XSE myself in SS this year :) the only thing i dont care for are the sights, but that can be fixed. I want a new gun anyway, so i may look into a spartan and put the Colt back to carry status/backup match gun.

Why does California have to have the handgun roster? :angry2: STI doesn't have one pistol approved. I recently purchased my first 1911 (SA TRP), the pistol is a tack driver and so much easier to shoot than my xd. I paid 3x more than an xd though. I am now thinking of purchasing a 1911 for IPSC.

Why does California have to have the handgun roster? :angry2: STI doesn't have one pistol approved. I recently purchased my first 1911 (SA TRP), the pistol is a tack driver and so much easier to shoot than my xd. I paid 3x more than an xd though. I am now thinking of purchasing a 1911 for IPSC.

STI decided they wouldn't deal with California...that's why no models are approved.

IPSC or USPSA?

I'm a Springfield fan for single stacks. Its their bread and butter and I think they build a good gun... from a starter GI to the TRP they seem to have their poop together. If I were in the market for a factory .45 it'd be a Springfield Trophy Match. Magwell is there, beaver tail, adjustable sights, and a forged frame.

I own 4 Wilosn 1911s and one STI Trojan. If somebody asked me what to buy for competitive shooting I would tell them to buy the Trojan. The Wilson pistols are built from the best parts available and the fit, finish and accuracy are excellent, but they are very pricey now and you just don't have to spend that kind of money on a competitive 1911. Buy the Trojan do a trigger job on it and shoot the hell out of it. Upgrade parts as needed or as you want to.

:cheers:

I agree!

I have a Baer Premier II, with the 1 1/2" at 50 yard group guarentee, and a Wilson that was worked over by Rock River Arms, with an 1 1/2" at 50 yard group guarentee, and an Ed Brown, but, I usually end up shooting one of my Trojans.

I almost never shoot my Trojan. But if value meaning cheapest is question than the Trojan is the answer.

You could spend money on upgrading to better parts, reliability, and finish.

Knowing what I know now, I would have never purchased the Trojan and spent the money on a Baer, Nowlin, or Wilson instead. The accuracy on my stock Trojan was better than 1.5 inches at 25 yards. But I replaced all the fire controls, front sight, mag release, slide release, and STI had to replace the barrel. The bluing wears and some people think it looks cool that way.