Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does your postman hate you

jid2

My post man got hit with a 2-fer today. A case of 124 gr Montana Gold JHP taking every bit of available space in a medium flat rate box, AND a large flat rate box with 4300 brass casings. He had a serious dirty look on his face, and even said "some people take advantage of the flat rate boxes".

They should know that someone would get around to filling these boxes "full of lead"!

Anyone else get the comments from the men in blue.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

With an exhausted look on his face while lugging two medium flat rate boxes from MG, he set them down on the porch as I opened the door. While catching his breath and wiping the sweat from his face he looked at me and said, "You need a new hobby."

Edited by alpha-charlie

and even said "some people take advantage of the flat rate boxes".

The USPS set the 70lb limit rule. Not anyone's fault but their own.

I got grief last time because zero didn't tape it well enough, and the flaps weren't touching (even though I could push them together easily). USPS lady said it had to fit in the box "as designed" (not bulging out) and threatened to charge me extra next time. I almost started saying that obviuosly it was their poor handling that was causing the box to come apart, and how the post master would love to hear how I had to come pick up the box because they were too lazy to deliver it, but just shrugged and let it go. Almost hate to make waves cause I don't want them to lower their weight limit....

-rvb

Edited by rvb

I got grief last time because zero didn't tape it well enough, and the flaps weren't touching (even though I could push them together easily). USPS lady said it had to fit in the box "as designed" (not bulging out) and threatened to charge me extra next time. I almost started saying that obviuosly it was their poor handling that was causing the box to come apart, and how the post master would love to hear how I had to come pick up the box because they were too lazy to deliver it, but just shrugged and let it go. Almost hate to make waves cause I don't want them to lower their weight limit....

-rvb

Mine hates me, and she told the postal inspector, that she is afraid I am going to shoot her..She also tore one of my boxes and spilled a whole case out and left me with 50 bullets in the case. I would love to get her fired, but their jobs are pretty safe, unfortunately. What is funny as when she first started delivering to my house, I would always go out ther and pick up the bullets for her. Now she has this grudge against me, and they send a guy to go out of his way to deliver the bullets to my house. don't you just love unions!

We have a truly love/hate relationship with our postmaster! He hates seeing our truck pull up with 500+ lbs of lead to unload, but loooves getting a year end bonus because of the $40,000+ we spend with them each year! Our boxes are sometimes balloned up with packing material, and our Postmaster NEVER says anything about charging us more. They're making a killing on FRB's, the weight limit will likely not be changing for a loooong time...

I've had three or four postmen over the years which included one lady who would come to the door and I would get the bullets off the truck for her. Latest guy has a ten pound limit that he can pick up he said. Had one guy who left a tag on the door. Caught him across the street where he told me he didn't bother to bring them out as they were heavy and I would have to go pick them up. Called the post office and was told the same. I firmly replied that I had paid the fee that the post office set which included delivery and asked when that had changed. They magically showed up at my door about an hour later. Lazy people until you call them out. Then they do their job.

Pat

They deliver mine by leaving me a notice that I have a package that my be picked up at the PO.

Do what I did, call and demand that they do what they are paid for. Not satisfied with the answer you get... keep going higher on the management food chain.

Pat

We get everything delivered by UPS. Our guy gets out of his truck, calls our dog by name, and brings the boxes to the porch. If we're around he yells "More rounds!". He then spends a few minutes throwing a stick for the dog. By contrast, we're lucky if USPS brings an oversized envelop to the door.

Edited by NewColonial

My postman jokingly gives me crap whenever lead or brass shows up. Unless two or more boxes show up at the same time they usually deliver it to me. When there are more than 2 boxes I usually need to run down to the post office to pick them up. As long as there is parking available somewhere near it, its not a big deal. Carrying boxes of lead across the downtown area is not fun.

I had the USPS to just chunk a case of MG on my front stoop. The box burst open. I rounded the bullets up, went to the PO to complain and ask them to weigh the contents to see if many were missing. The sourpuss lady would not cooperate and said that I needed to talk to the postmaster, who was not there. I left the box at the PO and asked the postmaster to call me, which she did the next day.

I explained the situation and asked her to weigh the box. She could not understand how the determine the number of bullets from the weight, which I explained in great detail. She said she would look into it. The next day she called back and said she had counted ALL THE BULLETS and said I had 3507 bullets in the box. I took her at her word and picked up the box. Don't know if she was lying or not but I record the number of bullets used when reloading. Will find out eventually.

Government stupidity.

We live out in the country and have 2 that take turns, one big burly man, the other is petite woman, the guy just giggles since he is a shooter himslef, the lady cannot even lift the boxes, she always comes up to the door looking for someone to help her.....One day I got home, and she was trying to get the box to the door with my wife.............glad the box was packed well :roflol:

Mine is usually a smaller woman and I made it a point to tell her if the vehicle is in the yard to give a knock at the door and I will grab them. If the wife gets home before me and decides to drag them inside, then I really have to deal with a tough union!!! :roflol:

Edited by NoSteel

Mine is usually a smaller woman and I made it a point to tell her if the vehicle is in the yard to give a knock at the door and I will grab them. If the wife gets home before me and decides to drag them inside, then I really have to deal with a tough union!!! :roflol:

or lack of union :roflol::roflol::roflol:

Ours would leave the boxes in front of our screen door, then my wife couldn't open the door or move the box.

A friend of mine and I were talking about how crazy that weight limit is anyway. You'd think if you were designing a flat rate box, you'd make the weight limit lower than the volume of lead that can be put in the box. It's almost like they had bullets in mind when they made the limit, unless they thought people were going to be mailing gold around...

I bought a dolly. My new plan is to order 4-5 cases at a time and just call the PO and tell them I'll pick them up.

My mail carrier hasn't given me any grief yet though I will help him with my Montana Gold orders if I catch him. My buddy who lives two miles away however gets the dreaded note on his door. Reminds me I have to get a tip for my guy this Christmas.

Mine used to do that to me, so I went to my local PO and talked with the sympathetic manager. He was very accomodating and spoke with my mail carrier. I've had 5 orders straight delivered to my door since. They have got to realize, it's a blessing. It's the few things that we cannot receive electronically anymore.

Twice in the past year my USPS guy delivered 8 flat rate boxes to my house @ 60 lbs each. I usually give my USPS guy a gift card around the Holidays.

Worst was 4 years ago. I found a place with South African 7.62 x 51 surplus for around $160 a case - I purchased 5 cases (980 rounds each). We lived on a hill with a very steep driveway. UPS brought each of the 5 up to my door. I really felt bad for that guy. Needless to say, he got a good Christmas gift that year.

They deliver mine by leaving me a notice that I have a package that my be picked up at the PO.

Same here. When I got to the post office and showed the person benihd the counter the note that said "Signature Required" he had no explanation.

Now I ship them to work. When they arrive, the postman goes out of his way to find me, and help me load them into my trunk. :cheers:

I got grief because Berrys had used staples to close the flat rate box. The counter person claimed she had just been to a class on the rules for flat rate shipments and claimed they don't allow any "reinforcement" of the closure. She wanted to charge me an additional $100 for each of two boxes. She really got belligerent when I pointed out that someone in her organization had accepted the packages for shipment. I didn't understand why I should be penalized for an "error" by someone in her organization. I declined to pay the additional $, left the packages at the PO and called Berrys who eventually involved the postmaster in charge of this area. I finally got my shipment later that day and spoke with the postmaster to confirm the situation was resolved long term.

-rvb

My USPS delivery guy is a retired soldier and when he delivers those heavy packages to me, he is always curious as to what it is. After I tell him what i received we chat for a few minutes about shooting and then he gets on his way, he's a really nice guy.

The interesting thing about this thread is the problems all seem to be at the delivery end, never at the shippers end. As I understand individual PO's are evaluated based on the amount of postage they sell. PO's that fail to bring in sufficient revenue are subject to being closed. If the shipping PO gets all the credit it would explain the lack of interest in the delivery PO to deliver packages that require more than a routine level of exertion.