mossburg 930

benny hill

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

All I've tried so far were some 3" Magnum Remington slugs that I happened to have on hand. Way overkill for competition and they rocked me back pretty hard, but it was shooting cloverleafs at 25 yards with the IC choke. I need to try some reduced recoil slugs and see if I can get as good of results as with the full power ones.

My 930 and slugs, 24" barrel, IC choke.

Remington slugger; OUCH - maybe 6" group at 50 yds. Most likely flinching.

Rem reduced recoil; soft - Maybe 4" group at 50 yds.

Federal low recoil, just a step up in recoil from REM reduced; almost a clover leaf at 50 yds. Tried these at 100 yds; maybe a 6" group.

Sticking with Federal.

I need to test more when I get a light modified choke.

David E.

Believe it or not

My Buddy Jeff, the self proclaimed TiteWad Started to cast his own Slugs and I laughed at first and now thats all I shoot. It is a Lee Mold loaded in a standard Hull. I have tested them even in my Saiga and 1100 Tac and the Benelli they were the best accuracy of what I have tried Fed Tru Ball, Rem, Win and Briley .

Give it some thought and less than half the price.

SwandME

Believe it or not

My Buddy Jeff, the self proclaimed TiteWad Started to cast his own Slugs and I laughed at first and now thats all I shoot. It is a Lee Mold loaded in a standard Hull. I have tested them even in my Saiga and 1100 Tac and the Benelli they were the best accuracy of what I have tried Fed Tru Ball, Rem, Win and Briley .

SwandME

What kind of wads are used?

Believe it or not

SwandME

What kind of wads are used?

now I know it is getting away from original post , but what press do you use? been kicking the idea of loading slugs.

now I know it is getting away from original post , but what press do you use? been kicking the idea of loading slugs.

I looked on Lee's website. They use standard wads, and an normal press, with a star crimp. At a buck a pop, it might be worth doing it. I still have lead pots and a bunch of wheel weights from years and years ago.

I looked on Lee's website. They use standard wads, and an normal press, with a star crimp. At a buck a pop, it might be worth doing it. I still have lead pots and a bunch of wheel weights from years and years ago.

I'm a caster,,, and cast the 525 Lyman slug,,, they shot just fine,, if you know your going to shoot alot of slugs,, it is worth the $$$

a 12 Ga lee shell press in the $50 range,,, and $100 ish for a lead pot and the Lyman mold,,, you can make your $$ back,,

I have tried the Lee 12 Slug,,, but my gun does NOT,,, like them,,,

use a win shot wad,, and Herco, ??? 23 or 24 GR,,, If I remember,,,

I cast them and load them by the hundred,,,

I'm a caster,,, and cast the 525 Lyman slug,,, they shot just fine,, if you know your going to shoot alot of slugs,, it is worth the $$$

a 12 Ga lee shell press in the $50 range,,, and $100 ish for a lead pot and the Lyman mold,,, you can make your $$ back,,

I have tried the Lee 12 Slug,,, but my gun does NOT,,, like them,,,

use a win shot wad,, and Herco, ??? 23 or 24 GR,,, If I remember,,,

I cast them and load them by the hundred,,,

And they work fine in my Mossy 930 SPX!

I got the recipe

He uses the Rem Gun Club Hulls so they are easier to keep away from the shot shells.

1oz Lee Slug Mold

24 Grains Universal Clays

Clay-buster 1100-12 Std 1 oz wad

Standard Star Crimp

Pure Lead no additives

1440 FPS from a 30 in 870 pump

I have not chronyed them from my 1100 Tac or Saiga

I load all my Shot Shells on a Dillon 900 SL and It would be inconvenient to load slugs on there

He uses a Mec Junior

I was a sceptic at first and your milage may vary but they work well for us.

Edited by swandme

I ordered my first 930 Waterfoul today w/ 28 bbl I have read every post I could find and looks like I will cut the bbl @ 24 and do the chokes

and a little polish and smoothing inside. and open up the loading port.

Still need advice on the Follower manipulation please share you pros and cons.

Also I talked to the CS @ Mossberg and they have the Turkey Gun adjustable rear sights available for under 15.00 that snap on the rib.

Any thoughts between that and a Ruger 10/22 Rear sight Dovetailed into the Rib.

Thanks in advance for your help.

SWandME

After carefully weighing all my options I decided to spring for a second bbl. 24 " unported

Someone above posted to Ask for Edna She was great and got it taken care of ASAP.

Thanks for the info

Still looking for Follower details.

THX

SWandME

After carefully weighing all my options I decided to spring for a second bbl. 24 " unported

Someone above posted to Ask for Edna She was great and got it taken care of ASAP.

Thanks for the info

Still looking for Follower details.

THX

SWandME

Edna emailed today to ask how my gun was doing and to say thanks for all the business she has been getting.....good customer service is hard to find and she has been top notch every time!!!

I had a ? this AM for the number for the Tukey Sight

I was told by a different Guy that the part number is 17031

Here is Edna's contact info

Edna Perez

Product Service Rep

O.F. Mossberg and Sons, Inc.

Authorized Service Center

1001 Industrial Blvd.

Eagle Pass, TX 78852

1-800-363-3555, ext. 534

Edna is great to deal with. Be sure to ask for her. If you are ordering a turkey barrel without ports don't bother talking with anyone else. I am way stoked to have a factory 24" non-ported barrel. 180.00 including shipping took 3 weeks.

My 930 was a 28" waterfowl model, now I have a backup 28" ported barrel for whenever I want to shoot clays with buddies or if I ever wanted to go open.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any expected time frame for the new 930 with the Benny mods? I need a shotgun in the worst way, and it would be nice to know if this was going to be an option anytime soon.

I spoke to Edna yesterday morning when I ordered my barrel. She said she didn't have any info on the release of the competition version.

The 930's are starting to leave the shop this week. Some of the options are hi-viz comp. front sight, nordic tube, otto side saddle, replace thumb safty with raised steel one & lightened, trigger job at about 2 3/4 lb. with over traver screw, open up receiver on bottom & cut it foward to the lifter, cut & bevel the forearm & new comp. follower. These new followers are the berries. All barrels are tuned for slug impact@ 40yds.

The 930's are starting to leave the shop this week. Some of the options are hi-viz comp. front sight, nordic tube, otto side saddle, replace thumb safty with raised steel one & lightened, trigger job at about 2 3/4 lb. with over traver screw, open up receiver on bottom & cut it foward to the lifter, cut & bevel the forearm & new comp. follower. These new followers are the berries. All barrels are tuned for slug impact@ 40yds.

Sounds good !