Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

spinning bullets on ice.

Crazy is right. Ever since I saw that I've been thinking that if I tried that I'd be behind a ballistic shield of some sort.

As weird as it makes that bullet react, I wouldn't discount the possibility of a bad-ass ricochet back at me.

So what if off camera they spun a bullet in a top like fasion and set it in the ice. and thin shot the bullet near the one that was placed before the camera was turned on ???

I think could spin a bullet with a rubber tube conected to a small fan motor of some kind.

You can clearly see that the bullet they are showing is not where the bullet is impacting in the ice?

Would be cool if it was real tho :rolleyes:

I was thinking they bounces off the ice onto another spot nearby but continue spinning.

You can clearly see that the bullet they are showing is not where the bullet is impacting in the ice?

Would be cool if it was real tho :rolleyes:

I was thinking they bounces off the ice onto another spot nearby but continue spinning.

If it hit hard enough to bounce, it would have deformed. The spinning bullet is not the one that was fired.

No rifling marks, no powder residue, perfectly formed after smacking into a block of ice?

I don't think so. FAKE

If you watch to the end of the video, it does have rifling and powder marks. I've also picked up whole bullets with barely any deformation that have bounced off the backstop at indoor ranges (yay bullseye shooters and their eye towards safety).  I've also gotten pretty nice looking bullets out of a 4x4 (nothing like those 90 pf steel loads). 

I could believe it being real, I could also think of a couple ways to fake it. 

Who's to say they didn't fire it into a bucket of water to get the rifling marks and such on it. Plain and simple, the bullet that is shown spinning is not the one fired. Look at the impact points. If the bullet did impact and bounce, it would deform...Ice is very hard. And if it did bounce, do you honestly think it would bounce only 18" or so (about 1/2" off the ground, at that!), dig itself another impact crater, and continue to spin? Do you honestly think these yahoos loaded their own ammo, from the way they are carrying on pointing the weapon at the camera and such?

I have some very nice land down in south Florida, dry 100% of the time, to sell you if you believe this.

PS. I've also seen UFO's, flying dogs, an "I like Turtles" boy, and other strange stuff on you tube....

I agree with Grumpy One no way. If a bullet is traveling at 1000+ fps and hits the ice the stopping force of the ice would have to apply alot of friction to the nose of the bullet. The friction applied to the nose of the bullet would surely also apply to stopping the spinning. I can't see how you can have it both ways.

Jeff

Has anybody thought about what the RPM of a pistol bullet is?

Say 1 in 12 twist @ 1000 fps-- this makes the math easy and won't be far off.

So, one rev per foot of travel. 1000 feet per second * 60 second in a minute = 60,000 feet per minute. 60,000 RPM.

Does it look like that bullet is doing anything close to 60,000 RPM?