Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How fast is your press.

Another post was talking on how fast a 550 was per 100 rounds.

I think it would be interisting to do a little research. How fast is a certian press with just 100 rounds. Start with primer magazine full and stop when all 100 rounds are loaded. State what press and any serious accesseries (case and or bullet feeder).

I will start:

Dillon 650 with case feeder. 100 rounds 45 acp. 4min 25 sec.

I could beat this time and I feel certian others will.

This will give us an idea what a press can do.

Fred

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4'25" for 650 is serious fast.

i do 8min on my XL650, with casefeeder, U-die, Redding competition seater, Lee FCD, Moly coated, 40S&W. that is relax textbook push pull on the handle. i do slower on now my 9mm MAJ loads because i have to guide the bullet upto the bottom of the seater because of too little belling. i cant seem to get my belling consistent, too much and MG JHP will just drop in the case or would not just sit on the belling. :angry2:

12-15 minutes. .45 or .40 caliber. SDB. I can do 10 minutes but that is really hustling and can actually fling powder out of the case. I prefer to take a little more time on the return stroke. It's ok for me, I don't shoot that much.

Yeah 4 mins is sweet! I have a Hornady LNL without a case feeder and can usually do 100 in 12-15 mins or so without rushing. I usually drop a bullet here and there or get a primer jammed in a crimped pocket that slows things down once in a while. My problem is I absolutely can't endure more than 200-300 at a sitting....

I won't take less than 20 min. to assembled 100 rounds. That's with a LNL AP and the casefeeder.

The chances of me fringin' something up reloading any faster are pretty dang good.

I "gots" limitations... I tink. huh.gif

I time regularly for no other reason than I'm neurotic. I can turn a 4:30 on a casefed 650 in .40 IF everything is running perfectly. I average about 6:45 and can do about 800 rounds an hour.

Come on now fella's.

Reload slow and you will shoot faster. It's a fact... wink.gif

I don't think a match or two goes by when I haven't witnessed the less than desired

super fast reloader, super slow shooter syndrome. Meaning bang bang death jamb malfunctions of some sort.

Load slower, shoot faster. It works...I promise.

If I'm not worried about slinging powder all over the place, I've done just over 400 rounds in 14 minutes (~3.5 minutes for 100 rounds) on a 1050 with enough primer tubes filled up and ready to go.

Much slower loading 38SC with 105 or even 4756.

I really like my 650's. The powder check is why I can feel confident enough to go fast.

My nature makes me want to be efficient as possible when reloading.

The 1050's shure scoot along at a fast clip....can they have a powder check and a swage at the same time?

Fred

I really like my 650's. The powder check is why I can feel confident enough to go fast.

My nature makes me want to be efficient as possible when reloading.

The 1050's shure scoot along at a fast clip....can they have a powder check and a swage at the same time?

Fred

You betcha! It has 8 stations: 1-insert case, 2-size and deprime, 3-swage and bell case mouth, 4-prime, 5-powder drop, 6-powder check, 7-seat bullet, 8-crimp. 1200 rds/hour without a bullet feed is doable if you have primer tubes loaded in advance............about like what Brian said earlier.

Alan~^~

I can load 100 every 12-15 minutes on my 550 with no case or bullet feeder. I don't however. I'm more comfortable around the 15 minute mark, which is still 400 an hour, and I can verify each and every round I produce.

+1 on this. I am a little to scared to go fast. I want to make sure each one has powder. :rolleyes:

The fastest I have loaded 100 was 2 min 35 sec but I generally poke along around 3 and a half.

I know from the speeds I load on my non-bullet and case fed mechines, that sounds like a bunch of BS. So here is a short video of 10 rounds in 15 seconds.

th_1050.jpg

Edited by jmorris

Time per 100 rounds is like the cyclic rate on a magazine fed AR: you go fast for a short while, but then you have to stop to reload, and end up with a much slower effective rate. I also ascribe to the the slow/steady/careful school of quality ammo production.

On my SDB, I can do 100 rounds in under 8 minutes, but then annoying things like powder spills and jams from cases or bullets improperly placed on the shell plate start happening. Much smoother for me at about 10 to 12 minutes per 100. With preloaded primer tubes, and taking time for occasional checks, restocking of components and the like, I usually can get 500 good rounds per hour.