Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Forum Software Upgrade Coming Tonight

benos

Depending on how long the rest of my research takes, I will shut down the forums, probably around 8 PM MT Wednesday, for software upgrade. At this point (I have a ticket in on how long it will take the posts and pm rebuild tools to run after I do the upgrade) I'm guessing we'll be shut down for at least a couple hours.

And don't worry, this won't be a major upgrade like the last one was. So there shouldn't be a big learning curve with lots of changes/prolbems.

And the beautiful thing about this upgrade is that it will restore functionality to the Sphinx Search Engine, which we lost with the last upgrade.

If the time frame changes I'll post it.

be

Edited by benos
Added "Wednesday"

And the beautiful thing about this upgrade is that it will restore functionality to the Sphinx Search Engine, which we lost with the last upgrade.

Oh boy, we are going to be Sphinx-sters again! :goof:

Seriously (more or less) thanks for the efforts and good luck!

Later,

Chuck

Oh boy, we are going to be Sphinx-sters again! :goof:

Seriously (more or less) thanks for the efforts and good luck!

Later,

Chuck

Yes! Great to hear. Maybe I'll get to change my signature. ;)

Thanks for the positive vibe everyone.

A couple updates. You might want to back up any PMs that you care about keepping.

And the bad news, after the upgrade a PMs tool has to be run to restore any PMs from before the upgrade. Hopefully the tool will recover all the PMs. That's all there is to say on that. And also quite probably, to restore broken quotes and post appearance occurrences, and post rebuild tool also has to be run in SSH. And IPS estimates it may take as long as a day to rebuild our over 1,250,000 posts. (That was the bad news.)

I think on running the rebuild posts tool, I'm just gong to wait and see how things look after the upgrade, and then decide whether I will run the tool.

The good news it that I have all my appearance and functional hacks restored and tested in my v3.1 test-forums. So by when you see the forums again after the upgrade/tool running, they should look and work just as they did.

be

Thanks again for the positive vibe.

I'm still on schedule for Wednesday eve. My current plan is to turn off the forums, do the upgrade, and then leave the forums off whlle the PM rebuild tool is running. Then when that tool is done I'll turn the forum back on.

Then I / we will check out the appearance aspect of the forums (broken quotes, etc.) and decide if it's worth running the Posts rebuild tool.

I have absolutely no idea how long the rebuild PMs tool will take because no one has any way of knowing how many PMs there are. It may be a few hours to half the night. But I will get the forums back on as soon as possible.

be

I'm glad I saw this message...cause I would have been FREAKING OUT if I came in and this forum was down! Now I can prepare myself. Maybe I'll get some much needed dry-fire practice in.

Thanks for all you hard work, Brian!

Edited to add...I deleted a bunch of my PM's to maybe cut down the rebuild time a hundredth of a second or so. :) Just doing my part.

Edited by WellArmedSheep

Still on schedule to shut down at approx. 8 PM, MT, this evening.

================================================

A heads up... the new forums will have a new feature called "Notifications." It will be found in "My Settings."

It will appear in the new software to the right of where your member name appears, when you are logged in (at the upper right hand corner of the screen). There will be a "0" with a little down arrow to the right of it.

Notifications will notify you of a mod action on your Topic. So for example, if your topic was closed by a mod, then the "0" will change to a "1". When you click it it will take you to the notification area and tell you what happened in your thread.

In the new software, you can edit the settings for notifications in: "Your Options/Settings/Notificaton Options".

So the bottom line is that the "Notification thing" is a whole new feature that will appear "My Settnigs" with the new software.

be

Pleaea note...

If you have any problems whatsoever after the upgrade, like not being able to log in, not staying logged in, or any link or feature isn't working properly,

before you post,

clear your browser's cache and remove any brianenos.com cookies, which will probably automatically log out, then log back in.

And, please start a new thread in the Bugs forum for each problem.

be

We're back online... with a small bug in the Profile area. Say I select Messenger, then if I click my member name again, so to go to a different link, I don't get the link selection - I can only go to my profile.

I have a ticket on it.

WHEW, the upgrade was a DISASTER.

It's definitely beer thirty.

:)

Update to the above:

I found a pattern. If you click on any of the links (other than the one I just posted the error message about - other than My Profile - it works as expected.

But if you click on My Profile, then click my member name again, you can only go to My Profile. Until, you click on a forum link, then it starts working properly again.

be