Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What competition holster do you use and why?

GrumpyOne

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I use a serpa for production because I got it on clearance and I don't shoot production very often.

I use an old blade tech for limited but I did some heavy modifications to it so its actually attached to a hogue powerspeed belt loop.

I use a blade tech with the tech lock belt loop for SS.

• 3 weeks later...

wow what choices to make ..

I have several holsters that I have tried and some I still use,

just started playing with a cr speed, but have been using a limcat for most

of the limited/open runs... believe i still have a ghost in the drawer too..

porduction well DOH bladetech seem to be the system that fits for me..

but then a I use a Comp tac for my single stack...

I am not partial to any as of yet...

J.kee

Comp-Tac belt holster for my G34 in production. I prefer blade-tech mag pouches but for holsters I like my comp-tac belt holster a bit more, I don't know if its just me but it seems that the pistol glides out of the holster just a bit smoother during presentation. I've tried the DOH and it just didn't work for me. I prefer to keep things as consistent as possible between my CCW, IDPA and production. Additionally, the shipping is super quick and I have not found my holster to be a limiting factor on my draw in any way.

CAZ

Test drove one. Would of gotten it if it was a little bigger with more storage space. Great little car. Plenty of power in the "S" Models.

Well, I voted bladetech for limited and production. It's really l-10 and production, but depite having a CR speed, that's what I use. 

For production it's simple. They make a good holster for damn near anything out there that meets the requirements of the division. 

For limited/l-10, it's a bit different. I have big hands, and most guns grips are small enough that simply jamming the web of my hand into the beavertail results in a very bad grip. I ahve to build my grip from proper placement of the front strap on my fingers. There's pretty much only two spots I can put my CR speed to do this where my draws aren't faster than from my bladetech.  One is more or less the good old pointed at your crotch and/or femoral artery setup, and the other is really close to mimicking the position of the balde tech. Both are a hair faster than the baldetech, but have serious issues. First, they both have safety issues IMO. Near vertical, unless it is locked, retention is dodgy on my particular holster, which may just be because it has several thousand dry fire draws on it with a regular 1911. IN the crotch pointing position, being 6'7" seated starts are an issue with having to worry about the gun going someplace unintended because my thigh pushes the grip out past my hip.   Beyond safety, there's performance at least for me. Holstering after make ready is just easier with the bladetech, so it helps keep me mentally focused (not a major deal, but the little things add up).  Then there's the seated starts, prone, low ports and barrels, etc. The bladetech stays out of my way and comfortable, which is faster. I also get a more consistent grip more reliably with the bladetech. Which even if I'm a tenth or two slower, I demonstrably pick that time up while running the course of fire. 

After playing with a ghost, I'd probably pick up a little time on my draw, and be able to have the gun in basically the same position as the bladetech, but it's money I don't intend to spend until I feel my gear is holding me back. Plus I can use the baldetech for local 3gun and idpa stuff without worries/hassles.

• 3 weeks later...

Corey, for single stack, there really isn't too many options to begin with. The rules limit what you can use for the most part, right? Let's see...DOH with the DOH part removed, making it a Stingray, or a Stingray, or a Flap Holster, or a Bianchi Cup style (which has a strap that snaps the pistol in place.). Am I missing any?

Corey, for single stack, there really isn't too many options to begin with. The rules limit what you can use for the most part, right? Let's see...DOH with the DOH part removed, making it a Stingray, or a Stingray, or a Flap Holster, or a Bianchi Cup style (which has a strap that snaps the pistol in place.). Am I missing any?

that covers most and includes mine, DOH minus the D and O, lol

I use ghost holster for Limited and Open, Why? well to me it works so why change :cheers: i haven't tried anything else so i cant tell why.

Production, DOH bladetech. Again, i haven't tried anything else, it works and it works great.

Thanks everyone for their valued input into this thread (and the other like it "Which competition belt do you use and why?" http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=110398&view=findpost&p=1253529 ). I hope that these threads will answer forum members (or the occasional lurker!) questions when they ask about belts and holsters. Keep it up, the more info that is input into these threads, the better that someone can make an informed decision and not waste any time or money. Again, thanks!

I had a Safariland 012 for my Limited. I never felt secure with it.

Switched to Ghost, the gun fell out of the holster three time-yep my fault. I had one match DQ because I moved and grabbed the gun at the same time-my fault. I went to a Blade Tech DOH but it really bugged me the hard chrome was wearing. So I switched to my Safariland 560.

Production = Safariland for my XD. Very Happy with it.

Single Stack = Safariland for my SV and Tripp guns. Very Happy with it.

Open/Limited = Safariland 013 on Order. Otherwise I would use the Ghost.

Tactical Solutions .22 Limited/Single Stack Upper - BladeTech DOH - the upper rail will not fit the 560

Tactical Solutions .22 Open Upper - Ghost for now until the Safariland comes in.

BTW:I am switching out my CR Speed Belt for the Safariland ELS system.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone! Keep it coming. I'm hoping this poll (and the other one about belts) will help out anyone who has questions about the belts or holsters.

Helping me. Really just confirming/reinforcing what I was already thinking.

Comp-Tac.

Pretty much at the top of my shooting-gear-to-buy-ASAP list is the Comp-Tac Belt Holster for Singlestack and the Blade-Tech DOH for Production (because Comp-Tac doesn't make one). I don't shoot much L10, and when I do, it's with my SS or Production gear. I don't really shoot Limited, just got classified in that division in case I decide to go to the Texas State Limited, in which case I'd probably shoot my Production rig (but get to fill up the magazines and get scored Major for a change).