Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

17/22 vs 34/35

Field

does the g34 actually feel much different than the g17 while shooting? I mean its just the g34 has part of the front/top of the slide cut out simply to reduce weight on the gun and its not going to effect how you feel recoil or how the front sight return to target with the gun. if its just a sight radius thing maybe i should just get the 17 because i would get candy for it anyways. ? just wondering

same thing i was wondering about the G22/G35 like with uspsa/idpa would i be gimping myself at all by getting the 22 instead of the 35 for competition

ive read some posts by people saying that they shot thier g17 just as well as thier g34 but is there actually a physical difference with how the gun actually feels and moves when firing a given load.?

and if you had developed a good load for the g17/g22 and then later gota g34/g35 and found that you needed to change something with your load to get the same results that you wanted?

thanks

Edited by Field

i've been quicker with the standard size glocks than the long slide guns and accuracy is just as good. not a huge difference but enough for me to stick with the 17/22 size glocks.

Other than sight radius and a possible velocity increase the longer guns don't have any advantage to the shorter ones. I'm sure you could find somebody that would let you try both so that you can see for yourself.

If you're really on the fence buy the longer guns 34/35. If you have any personal reason to prefer the 17/22 then buy them and don't look back. I believe the longer sight radius is a benefit. Proving the advantage would be very difficult but I have to assume there is a reason that the gun must fit in the box.

I shoot both the same, but tend to like the G17/22 size better for all-around living with.

I know a lot of guys find that if they're loading bunny-fart loads they can go softer and still make PF with the longer guns, and the longer sight radius may be better for some I guess, but I don't think there's really that much difference otherwise.

I have both 17 and 22... both are legal in IPSC. One of the reasons why i bought them over 34/35...It does not matter if i play IPSC, USPSA, or IDPA. Great all around set up...

I hav owned both before for a short time and I was faster out f the holster with the G17.

It also felt more balanced but it was pretty subjective. I ended up selling both pistols and now a couple years later Im back to trying Glocks (I did have to change my draw and grip from a 1911 snatch draw, to a scoop draw (I scooped my Berettas)

Faced with the exact same question recently, I bought a new G17 instead of a 34. But I also plan on using the G17 as a CCW and truck pistol too

I have 2 G34s and a G17. All have seen IDPA duty. Based on some my videos, my recoil control of the G34 is better than the G17. I have not done a study on the splits and there may not be that much difference. As a personal preference I chose the longer sight radius. It feels like I can sight just a little easier. G17 now serves as a CCW.

I have fired the IDPA classifier numerous times with both the G17 and G34, and have generally found my scores to be pretty much identical. At least in my case there's no real advantage to the semi-longslide. The "longer sight radius gives more accuracy at distance" effect is, in my experience, a great theory that simply doesn't materialize in reality.

Hello: I do better with the Glock 34/35 than the G17/22. The long slide is worth it to me because of the longer sight radius. I may give up a tenth or two on the draw but the softer recoil is worth it to me. Also when shooting Production you have to be accurate to win and the Glock 34 does that for me over the Glock 17. Also if the top Glock guys are shooting the longer slide there must be more to it :surprise: Thanks, Eric

I've been required to carry a G22 for work since 2003 and I like it, but when it comes to USPSA style shooting, I fell in love with the G34. Sight radius is nice, yes, but it also has much better balance to me whether your reloading on the move or just the pointability of it when shooting stand and shoot classifiers or stages from behind walls. If your going to do any GSSF shooting though, you should get a G17 because a G34 goes right into the competition division.

• 2 weeks later...

I have both and can't really tell the difference. My hits/groups are a little tighter with the G34 vs the G17 but I think it is just a mental thing. I have more confidence in the G34 becuse it is supposed to be a "competition" gun. I have the 17 around for IDPA and IPSC where the G34 is not allowed in production

I have a 22 and 35 that I switch between for Limited Division. The 22 seems to cycle a little faster, but I have lightened the slide quite a bit.

The 35 seems to be a bit more accurate. But that's probably just me.