Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA shooters are good people

OK, we all know there are always a few exceptions. But, in general the people I met shooting USPSA are good people.

Today I shot the classifier at Alpha Mike's at the Cedar Ridge Range (north of San Antonio). I met two shooters I neve rmet before (Bryan W. and Phillip), shot with two others who are always a pleasure to squad with (Antoine L. and Jane P.) and a good friend (Ron M.) .

We had a great time. Great conversation. Support and congratulations. Sympathies when warranted.

I screwed up my reloads. I went and ashamedly begged for .45 ammo and I was lent it. I tried to pay him $20 but he wasn't having it.

I shot a reshoot with two men not on my squad (Robert and Mario), two more great guys.

In general I think the maturity required to shoot a dynamic firearm sport equates to good person in general.

Please remember this the next time you are shooting. Appreciate the guys you're shooting with, they probably deserve it, and btw- so do you.

Edited by Steven Cline

OK, we all know there are always a few exceptions. But, in general the people I met shooting USPSA are good people.

This has been my experience as well, in general.

Of course everybody is polite....we all have guns! No seriously for the most part everybody is happy go lucky. Occasionally somebody is having a bad day or tired or what not but usually we're ok biggrin.gif

Steve - I enjoyed the match a whole bunch, and I picked up a few things watching you and Antoine, and that super fast production guy. Course I learned all on my on not to go flying into a box with loose brass in it, I sure thought that I was going to the diry but recovered and punched one in the Armor, with out that one mistake I would probably be a B, well it just wasn't meant to be.

Yes, and there are a lot of good folks in this shooting commuinity, nice people, that is one reason I do it. I could just be that Great Chicken Fried steak at the Antler, and the Chocolate Pie is out of this world.

Steve - I enjoyed the match a whole bunch, and I picked up a few things watching you and Antoine, and that super fast production guy. Course I learned all on my on not to go flying into a box with loose brass in it, I sure thought that I was going to the diry but recovered and punched one in the Armor, with out that one mistake I would probably be a B, well it just wasn't meant to be.

Yes, and there are a lot of good folks in this shooting commuinity, nice people, that is one reason I do it. I could just be that Great Chicken Fried steak at the Antler, and the Chocolate Pie is out of this world.

I so should have had a piece of that chocolate pie.

I forgot to include the great time at lunch following the match. I think we had C to GM all at the same table enjoying fellowship.

I think it has something to do with the fact that no matter what we do with our everyday lives, shooting is fun for all of us. Being anything other than happy is like being unhappy on vacation.

Everything between *beep* and "If you are finished...." is my vacation from reality.

...and that super fast production guy.

That super fast production guy is a GM in another division. He was focused on what the HHF was on each classifier. He was a very pleasant guy to speak with and I picked up a few things listening to he and Antoine discuss the stages.

That's another reason this sport is so great. Top guys like Antonie L. and Brian W. will share with guys like us. That's very cool.

Everything between *beep* and "If you are finished...." is my vacation from reality.

Can I use that on a sig line sometime?

:D

(and it's so true, Saturday mornings (matches) are my time to relax from the world)

Edited by Steven Cline

i can't wait to shoot my first match. not much around here but i am going to shoot all i can when i finish getting my rig set up. my mentor has become a very close friend because of the mutual interest and he is quick to take time to show me all the little tricks

The best story I can tell people is that you go to a match and if you look at someone else's gun they tell you to take some of their ammo and try it. While I am not a big golfer, I have never seen anyone offer to let someone else hit their clubs at the golf course. I have also never seen anyone throw someone else keys at a car rally and tell them to run their car around the block.

I have seen folks lend ammo, holsters, fiber, batteries, etc at matches. I have seen real and shadetree gunsmiths fix guns for free to get a shooter back in a match and if the gun can not be fixed you can usually count on another shooter running to their car and lending you another one to finish the match.

Most importantly, shortly after my wife started shooting was what she told her single friends. She would tell them that if they wanted to find a guy that they needed to show up at matches and start participating because the men there were absolutely world class.

Thank you for this great post!

This has been my thought for many years.

We have our own microcosm of like-minded individuals who enjoy a competitive sport and are always willing to help you with the details.

Some of the finest people I have ever met have been on the shooting range!

Charles-as usual, your way with words is right on. The people you meet at a USPSA match are great and I count many of them as friends. My shooting buddy and part time writer, James Tarr summed it up pretty nicely in one of his articles about the Michigan Sectional a couple of years ago. It went along the lines that if you are having a really bad match, you only have the gun in your hands for a total of 5 minutes. The rest of the 5-6 hours is a social event with some really nice people and normally some good food. What's not to like about that?

Regards,

Roy

And Rick Steel who had his 38 Super ammo stolen from his vehicle while attending the Area 6 match (not at the range by the way) had people running up to him asking if he needed any more ammo. He told me he could have probably brought home several hundred rounds if he had taken them all.

I said once that this is the only sport I have been involved with where people you are in direct competition with will loan you a gun, give you ammo, and tell you a better way to shoot a stage than the way they did it :surprise:

To quote General Patton "God help me, I do love it so..." :cheers:

Gary

Yup, same here about staying for peeps!

:cheers:

Somebody say something about Easter Peeps??? mmmm... Peeps :roflol:

The great people make our sport what it is :cheers:.

When I started, I knew nothing about USPSA / practical shooting. I went in blind, and knowing no one. I left with new friends, and new skills...

• 1 month later...

I came for the shooting but stayed because of the people.

Great statement and really hits the nail on the head. :cheers:

This is so true..I started shooting USPSA simply because I love to shoot but the great people have kept me excited to come back every week. This sport has made me a much better shooter but more importantly has introduced me to a great group of friends.

i've had guys give me ammo then refuse to let me pay. whenever i get a chance to give someone ammo i turn down the money too. i just tell them someone else is going to need help someday and to help them out.(just like that movie)

I actually got the opportunity to give someone some ammo out at HDC last month. I got to tell ya, it felt even better to help someone out than when I have been on the receiving end. Its definitely a full circle experience. :)