Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

British-isms

Patrick Sweeney

Inspired by a comment in the SHOT Show entries. Some things don't mean the same on both sides of the Atlantic. The one I can recall right off is:

If you phone a woman and tell her "I'll be by around two to knock you up." If she's British she knows you'll knock or ring the bell. In the States she'll think you want sex.

OK, you Brits, tell us more. I'm sure you Aussies and Kiwis have some, too.

If you phone a woman and tell her "I'll be by around two to knock you up." If she's British she knows you'll knock or ring the bell.  In the States she'll think you want sex.

Hi Patrick

While we wouldn't think of it specifically as wanting sex it is likely to be connected to "a bun in the oven", so close but not the same.

P*ssed in the US usually seems to mean angry while in the UK it would mean drunk. To change the meaning we would have to say "p*ssed off" (at someone/thing) and then we're on the same track.

A classic misunderstanding is that for a long time condoms in the UK were often referred to under their brand name of "Durex" whereas I understand in Australia "Durex" is a brand name of a sticky tape. So Aussies (Vince!!) be warned! It's probably not a could idea to ask for a roll of Durex in the UK! (Unless the assistant is very good looking! :wub: )

When I was exchanging extensive emails with Arnie on the SG rules committee we had one or two misunderstandings. He often laughed at my use of "whilst" and made me change every instance to "while".

I think folks in the US use the expression "fanny" with a lot more innocence than in the UK, as in "fanny bag" or "pack"? Have I got that right?

In the UK "fanny" is a regarded as a crude name for the female genitalia. Even a modern British dictionary lists it as a "taboo" word in this context. At the same time gives a US/Canadian definition for it as "buttocks". Is this the correct definition US wise?

An "entrepreneur" near to me cheakily decide to launch a new night club called "Fannies" and heavily marketed it under the heading of:

"Fannies Opening Shortly"

Neil wrote: "When I was exchanging extensive emails with Arnie on the SG rules committee we had one or two misunderstandings. He often laughed at my use of "whilst" and made me change every instance to "while"."

Now, Neil, you well know that I was not able to "make" you do anything! And, I never laughed at you for using "whilst". :D We were always honourable gentlemen.

Arnie

What's really bad is Americans who don't understand the lingo of the British Empire, but *think* they do. When I worked in Portland there was a bar called "Wankers Corner." For some reason, the managers always thought taking the British and Aussie employees there was a good idea.

If your name is Randy, you'll get a lot of funny looks in the British Empire, I believe (correct?). I've always wanted to write a script for a travelling play: "The Adventures of Randy and Fanny." :P

I'm almost bi-lingual these days. There's a very funny article somewhere using all the common misunderstandings between the two dialects ... but I couldn't find that.

I did find a list of differences:

http://www.english-zone.com/vocab/ae-be.html

This was clearly written by an American and those from across the pond will notice some glaring errors ...

Kevin

Hi guys,

Your best translator between The Queen's English and American English are Australians - we understand both very well, probably because we get and enjoy TV from both sides of the Atlantic, and there are dozens (hundreds?) of differences, but there are also differences to Australian English. One of my favourites is the American expression "I'll be rooting for you" which in the US means "I'll be cheering for you", but in Australia it means "I'll be having sex for you".

In Australia though, we take it a step further and describe the eating habits of the Wombat, one of our native animals, as one which "eats roots, shoots and leaves", and that seems to innocently describe the three things a Wombat eats.

However, if you apply the Australian slang meaning of "root", you'll know that if an Australian describes a friend as a "Wombat", it means he "has dinner (eats), has sex (roots), he orgasms (shoots), then he departs (and leaves)".

In England and America, "shag" is a type of carpet, but in England and Australia, to "shag" is slang for "to have sex" (e.g. Austin Powers, shagadelic baby, yeah).

:P

In light of this thread and the "15 ways to get a southern AW" thread, we better keep our Brit friends completely outta Dixie.

"I'll be by around two to knock up your sister" is going to get real interesting. :lol:

We use shag alot too.. like "Shag a fly ball"... I've been told to avoid that in London...

The 'Brits always crack up at our matches when the announcement is made at the shooters meeting that "everyone is required to tape and shag brass". :o

your correct but i wouldn't say that in Islington :D

btw "singlestacks" signature/epigram might be a good example of an Americanism as you could not get away with saying it in polite conversation over here wanking= slang term for masturbation

:blink:

j

or maybe its an eyesight problem :D

should we give our US friends a lesson in Cockney rhyming slang....

'I couldnt believe my porkies, there was this sweaty, a pony in his fist having been to the sherman, in the rub-a-dub-dub having a britney, on the bone giving it large about having a dog and duck on the apples with some old tom, and then would you adam and eve it he was off on his dancers.'

and yes there are actual people who speak like that in real life. Oh the rich cultural heritage that london is. :(

There is a prize to the first non UK person to translate it. (One of James's stylish waistcoats)

"'I couldnt believe my porkies, there was this sweaty, a pony in his fist having been to the sherman, in the rub-a-dub-dub having a britney, on the bone giving it large about having a dog and duck on the apples with some old tom, and then would you adam and eve it he was off on his dancers.'" (Mike.45)
This stuff puts Ebonics :lol: to shame!!

'I couldnt believe my porkies, there was this sweaty, a pony in his fist having been to the sherman, in the rub-a-dub-dub having a britney, on the bone giving it large about having a dog and duck on the apples with some old tom, and then would you adam and eve it he was off on his dancers.'

Hmmm. Translation:

"I couldn't believe my eyes. A Scotsman who, by virtue of the cash in his hand, had just been to the bank, was in the pub drinking a beer and he was having a telephone conversation in respect of the sexual relations he recently had on a staircase with an elderly American, when suddenly he walked out".

Can I get a set of steak knives instead of the waistcoat? ;)

PS: I loved "Lock, stock and two smoking barrels" and "Snatch".

btw "singlestacks" signature/epigram might be a good example of an Americanism as you could not get away with saying it in polite conversation over here wanking= slang term for masturbation

:blink:

j

or maybe its an eyesight problem :D

It can mean the same here as well James. :rolleyes::ph34r: