Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Jesse Abbate a free agent

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe Glock already sells more than the can make and it is not really because of their Team. In the big scheme of things in the firearms industry we (competitive practical shooters) are not a very large part of the overall market for glock. I think you would be suprised by how little $ they throw at the team as shooters as opposed to their pay as employees doing other jobs. I believe Jesse can do much better as a pro shooter with a company that has a larger stake in our market.

Why would Glock let her go? Are they crazy, stupid or both?

The simple fact of the matter is that it doesn't matter whether racing, shooting, riding bicycles, etc etc...at our level of consumption it is very hard to justify the expenditure of supporting multiple shooters and teams. Even when they are succesful they rarely cover the corporations expenditures.

The simple fact of the matter is that it doesn't matter whether racing, shooting, riding bicycles, etc etc...at our level of consumption it is very hard to justify the expenditure of supporting multiple shooters and teams. Even when they are succesful they rarely cover the corporations expenditures.

Teams are not a cost recovery tool. They are a marketing device.

If you guys don't think that people like Jessie, Julie G, Jerry Mikulek, TGO, etc., sell a LOT of guns, I think you'd be really surprised to know how far a little advertising can go. These guns aren't just going to competitive shooters, either. Everyone wants to "Be like Mike." In other words, not only basketball players are buying Jordan's shoes.

It's just like golf. Tiger woods has sold an awful lot of golf balls for Nike to plenty of regular joes like us here, who just want to play golf on the weekend.

I know that after I shot with JJ, if I'd had the money in my pocket, I'd call Johnny Lim and order a Razorcat right then and there! And I don't even like Glocks that much and watching Jessie makes me want to buy a G35 right now.

Jessie is an amazing shooter and if I were S&W, I'd scoop her up right now before she signs for someone else.

I think she is in a league of her own because, as far as I know, there isn't a lady shooter on Earth who shoots like she does.

Edited by twodownzero

Teams are not a cost recovery tool. They are a marketing device.

If you guys don't think that people like Jessie, Julie G, Jerry Mikulek, TGO, etc., sell a LOT of guns, I think you'd be really surprised to know how far a little advertising can go. These guns aren't just going to competitive shooters, either. Everyone wants to "Be like Mike." In other words, not only basketball players are buying Jordan's shoes.

It's just like golf. Tiger woods has sold an awful lot of golf balls for Nike to plenty of regular joes like us here, who just want to play golf on the weekend.

I know that after I shot with JJ, if I'd had the money in my pocket, I'd call Johnny Lim and order a Razorcat right then and there! And I don't even like Glocks that much and watching Jessie makes me want to buy a G35 right now.

Jessie is an amazing shooter and if I were S&W, I'd scoop her up right now before she signs for someone else.

I think she is in a league of her own because, as far as I know, there isn't a lady shooter on Earth who shoots like she does.

Nobody said they were a cost recovery tool. I was simply indicating that as a marketing tool they are not the most effective item in the toolbox. As I stated in any competitive endeavor putting your name on a "performer" does not offer the biggest bang for the investment, more so if your potential market is small (ie 4-5000 competitive shooters vs. millions of golfers). At some point there is a line where the potential advantage doesn't justify the cost. If in fact this was a decision made by Glock it could simply be one of economic times. That doesn't make it crazy or stupid, just business.

On another point, does anyone have information that it was Glock's decision and not Jesse's to part company? Who know's maybe she was tired of shooting something so obsolete :rolleyes:

Edited by smokshwn

On another point, does anyone have information that it was Glock's decision and not Jesse's to part company? Who know's maybe she was tired of shooting something so obsolete :rolleyes:

Rumor is it was Jesse who left and she does have other offers, just hasn't picked one yet.

Rumor is it was Jesse who left and she does have other offers, just hasn't picked one yet.

Far be it from the internet to not jump to conclusions :roflol:

As I stated in any competitive endeavor putting your name on a "performer" does not offer the biggest bang for the investment, more so if your potential market is small (ie 4-5000 competitive shooters vs. millions of golfers).

Champion shooters don't just sell guns to active competitors. When Joe Blow trots down to the gun shop to buy his first gun, he's more likely to buy Brand X if there's a poster showing World Champion Billy Badass shooting the Brand X Megaboomer. The fact that Joe Blow is going to shoot a half box of Wolf through the gun and then throw it in the bedstand to collect dust doesn't mean he doesn't want to shoot what the champs shoot. If he's seen name shooters on Shooting USA or Shooting Gallery shooting Brand X, so much the better. Similarly, if the competitive shooters at the range are shooting Brand X, it sells guns to the newbies with the rentals.

FWIW, the NSSF poll (http://www.nssf.org/newsroom/releases/2010/033110.cfm) indicated that roughly 18 million Americans currently engage in "handgun target shooting". I think USPSA has 16,000 or 18,000 active members, not to mention IDPA, Steel Challenge, NRA Action Pistol shooters, etc. Throw in CCW holders and new SD handgun purchasers, and our market is much larger than 4-5000 shooters. That's without counting the LE and private security markets, or military contracts that might be impacted by marketing.

Crux of the matter is that there are a lot of guns sold in the US, but there are only a small handful of "known" shooters. When you consider the growing number of women buying handguns for self protection, the marketing potential of a Jessie Abbate or Julie Golob is substantial. Which Leatham do you suppose your wife is more likely to identify with she she buys a new CCW pistol - Rob or Kippi?