Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun Broker

kp110477

I found a 6 year old thread in the "I Hate" category (by doing the good little newbie thing and running a search) it was on the topic of Gunbroker. I didn't want to post this in the "I Hate" section, as I understand that is more for letting out aggression etc. SO:

Are people still having problems with Gunbroker.com? I won an auction on the 14th of February 2010 and this thread has me a little nervous. I had heard great things from guys that I shoot with about gunbroker so I figured I'd give it a shot (pun intended). What's weird, is that I had good contact with the seller: email & phone. However, The Postal Money Order arrived at his house on Thursday the 18th and tracking indicates: notice was left at residence and MO is still available at the local post office. I haven't been able to reach him on the phone or by email over the past 4 days. Am I being too impatient? It is not a gun store selling the firearm, and he's not an FFL. I guess my question is how long is long enough? I'm aware that he has 10 days to comply, life happens, maybe he went on vacation, maybe something unfortunate happened, but I just don't want this to drag on for over two years (like the guy in the "I Hate" thread. I think 2 weeks and I'll start raising the alarm, sooner if he cashes the MO. What do you think?

[Edited for spelling and clarity]

Edited by kp110477

Knock on wood, I have had very good success/luck with buying and selling on Gunbroker. I think you are being a bit too impatient. As a private collector who sells some of his stuff to buy other stuff, I know that sometimes I don't pick up my mail everyday. Sometimes, despite my best intentions, I can't ship the item immediately. A few days of delay should be factored into every step of the process. Also, people travel for personal and business reasons, which may explain the recent unavailability of the seller.

What was the seller's rating? How many transactions has s/he completed? If the person has an A+ rating and more than 20 transactions, I would not yet be concerned. I would only become really concerned after about eight or nine business days out after I know the funds have arrived at the seller's address.

WJ

i just did a deal on gun broker with no problems. but each person will have his own issues with their deals. some deals work fast others don't. people have problems, things get dropped, etc.... then you can get sometimes the person that is there to steal your money. do a net search on the person, you might get a phone number to call.

I've had two good experiences at purchasing handguns from GunBroker (even though, I'll admit, it's been a couple of years since I did so) and both were involving FFLs who apparently had their own business or shop of some sort. The two items were not only very good deals they were exactly as advertised and communications were good. Again, I haven't dealt with GunBroker LATELY, so...

I would double-check the GunBroker policies (you mentioned a 10-day factor) and follow up according to their policies.

Purchased two S&W 340 SC/PD (:wub:) on the site. Also purchased a Ruger LCP, .380 Hydra-shocks and holster. In the end, I got exactly what I paid for. I recommend using it, but make sure you find a FFL that will accept different types of transfers.

Preston

I've used Gunbroker to buy and sell, never had any problems. Always have other party confirm shipping address before sending funds and it should match what they have listed on the web site. Some transactions are very fast and some a little slower.

Waiting is the hardest!

I have purchased three firearms via gunbroker and lots of parts and accessories. In fact I am about to head out to pick one up from the FFL. All of transactions were very smooth. Two of them where with sellers who had a lot of positive feedback. One was with a first time seller, but the price was so good that I had to take a chance. I sweated that one until I got a call from my FFL telling me the gun was in his hands. So far all of my experiences have been positive.

I have had a lot of good luck/deals on Gunbroker but I have had a couple of issues also. Make sure you ask questions of the seller and if they don't get back to you don't do it. I bought a Sig 226 and a Smith 686 that looked almost new in the ad but they turned out to be "file photos". The dealers I bought them from got them as police trade ins and had tons of them for-sale but no where in the ad did it say that it wasn't the actual gun listed. So just ask questions and read the comments about the sellers and you should be ok.

Update: Apparently I jumped the gun, but I have definitely learned a LOT in the last week. I may have failed to mention that this is my FIRST time buying a gun on-line, and I bought two. I bought one off of Gunbroker and I bought one from the classifieds here. The one I referred to in my first post was the Gunbroker transaction, hence the title. WELL, it turns out that the poor guy works a swing shift, or rolling shift rather. So, he was unable to receive the MO because he was working 12 hour days and was at work the whole time the post office was open. I received a call from him this evening, he was apologetic, as was I (for being so anxious). I made the mistake of having it "signed on delivery" which means the post office cannot leave the MO at his residence without him being present. The good news is: he has Monday off and will be receiving payment and shipping the firearm on Monday. I have learned already not to express-mail a MO "sign on delivery", priority will do for most transactions. Be patient (not one of my strong points). Communicate with the seller before the auction is complete or even before the bid is made (thank you Pigdawg). The seller did have an A+ rating, not sure how many sales (where I work the Gunbroker page and other 'weapons pages' are blocked shhhhhhhh).

Long story short I was worried over nothing.

By the way, the Brainenos classified sale has gone EXTREMELY smoothly, and my biggest mistake might have been expecting the same out of the Gunbroker deal.

Thank you for all of your input and advice.

"... it turns out that the poor guy works a swing shift, or rolling shift rather. So, he was unable to receive the MO because he was working 12 hour days and was at work the whole time the post office was open...."
This sometimes happens. I got used to occasional incidents of this sort when I was selling (and buying) on eBay a bit more than I happen to nowadays. Lifestyles sometimes intervene in our expectations. :)

BTW, I've also had several superb transactions (both buyin' and sellin') here on BE.com, too. Yes, definitely. B)

I've bought lot's of stuff off Gunbroker including a couple of AR15's and a 1911. Just watch the feedback and stay away from anything that seems a little fishy. Common sense is your best defense....

Edited by Marv Z

I have a C&R and bought four or five WWII militiary rifles through Gunbroker. All transactions went smoothly. One word of caution, read the descriptions and look at the pictures carefully. Some descriptions are more telling in what they don't say than what they do. Don't be afraid to ask the seller questions.

So far I've had zero problems with GunBroker transactions.

Two deals for handguns and numerous for ammo and brass.

My rules, buy big ticket items from businesses, be sure to ask questions just to be sure they respond, and always review their ratings.

Passed on several opportunities that seemed too good to be true (my loss? maybe) but like I said, zero problems.

Bill

If you sent a postal money order to the seller's home/business, I wouldn't worry about it. Not many people want to commit mail fraud.

I have almost 100 transactions on GB (Buying and selling) and there is little to worry about if you use common sense (and USPS money orders)

Edited by entropic

I have purchased a few guns on Gunbroker and sold several guns as well as ammo etc. Most transactions have been faithfully executed. I have had two instances in which the winning bidder did not send payment but Gunbroker provided a credit for their fees. No much diffrent than the population at large - most people are honest and expect to be treated fairly and then you have the occassional scumbag who decides to abuse the system.

Edited by TonyT

I am glad it's working out for you. I have purchased and

sold on GB, never having any problems. Like you I also be-

come a little, excited, on the time frame. When I sell, as soon

as the payment clears- I ship, that day if possible, with FEDX,

or UPS as both are up the street from me. Some others stand

down till the next day. Best of luck with the purchase's!

I've never had a problem buying on gun broker but I do watch the feedback before I bid. I want to see that a seller has made a number of sucessful trades before I spend any large amounts like on a gun. Mags, parts etc. I'm not as picky.

I have had dozens of transactions and at least 20 firearm purchases on GB. I have yet to have a negative experience or get cheated. I would like to say that I have a local FFL that I ship everything to so a lot of the time I do not get charged an FFL handling fee. To pay my FFL back for the great service, I started checking with him before I purchased relatively common items on GB and found that when I calculate the shipping costs to get them here and a normal FFL fee, I can sometimes buy through my local FFL and keep the business in town. I asked him on a slow day in January if he could get me a Tactical Solutions upper for my Ruger Mark II. Within a week he had contacted TS, become a dealer and had my upper in house. Now he is selling TS AR 22LR uppers to the locals. Overall though, great experiences with GB.

UPDATE:

Thank you all for sharing your experiences and advice on buying items from gunbroker.

I have completely finished my first transaction with gunbroker and I couldn't be happier. The gun (Glock 27) was in BETTER condition than I thought it would be. It came with the advertised 3 magazines (2 of which had Scherrer 1 shot extensions), manual, bore brush, the 2 original base-pads. I ran 100 rounds through it flawlessly at the range, 10 of which were the Remington Gold Sabre self-defense rounds I plan on carrying in the gun. The seller even called me to make sure I was satisfied with the gun AFTER I received it. I would definitely have to say I had a well above average experience and won't hesitate buying from gunbroker in the future. The experiences and advice posted here will definitely help others in the future (including myself) to know the ins-and-outs of a gunbroker transaction.

Thank you,

Steve