Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Low blood sugars

Neomet

Out getting my run in today. 3 miles with some intervals and then I really pushed the last 1500 meters. During the warmdown I feel the warning signs of hypoglycemia. Take something for it but by the time

I walk home I am really starting to bomb. Blood sugar is 54 when I hit the door and I go into the frenzied "must eat everything" mode. Thus starts the yo-yo of the blood sugar climbing up again to too high

a level and turning me into a zombie for the rest of the night.

Had a great evening planned for Ms. Neomet and it all went to shit. I freaking hate this disease. :angry2: :angry2:

Blood sugar was fine at 134 when I started, I disconnected the pump a half hour before the run, did all the things I'm supposed to. As my endo says, "Sometimes this will just happen."

I know in the big scheme of the world's problems this doesn't amount to a pimple on an ant's ass but today it sure is something I hate....

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man I know what you mean, THe Dr. put me on a diet & exercise program getting me ready for a kidney... the first time that happen to me I woke up with both me & the sheets all wet to the point that I thought that I had might have had an accedent! Nothing I ate would raise my BS for more than a couple of hrs.

Manny

Edited by TruStreet

Yeah, I hate it when I get home from work, mentally psyched for a workout, take a couple of minutes to unwind, watch the news, and then get that feeling and and my blood sugar is at 60 or something. Have to have something to bring it up, and when it gets that low you want to eat everything to get rid of that feeling. Everything that will bring it up quickly are the things that you have trained yourself not to eat at all.

Mark

I always make sure I take something with me "just in case". try a PowerBar® Fruit Smoothie Energy bar. They are made to deliver quick energy to normal runners. They also happen to get your blood sugar up quickly also, and almost always just the right amount. They are made to deliver some really fast sugar to your blood stream and then some a little slower. They were made for "normal" athletes who in their long run need to put some energy into their blood stream for extra boost after they have used their glycogen stores. They were made not to raise a normal athlete’s blood sugar to fast or to slow. Try them out they work good. Better than a Snickers bar. Of course I sometime like to eat a snickers when I get low blood sugar. And some times when I have normal blood sugar.:) Well that and a Coke.

Scott

Glucose tablets from Walmart work best for me. Match days, setup tends to run mine down early. Harvest Power bars, Gatorade in moderation through the morning help, but it generally comes down to the glucose tablets. And more than a few test strips.

Out getting my run in today. 3 miles with some intervals and then I really pushed the last 1500 meters. During the warmdown I feel the warning signs of hypoglycemia. Take something for it but by the time

I walk home I am really starting to bomb. Blood sugar is 54 when I hit the door and I go into the frenzied "must eat everything" mode. Thus starts the yo-yo of the blood sugar climbing up again to too high

a level and turning me into a zombie for the rest of the night.

Had a great evening planned for Ms. Neomet and it all went to shit. I freaking hate this disease. :angry2: :angry2:

Blood sugar was fine at 134 when I started, I disconnected the pump a half hour before the run, did all the things I'm supposed to. As my endo says, "Sometimes this will just happen."

I know in the big scheme of the world's problems this doesn't amount to a pimple on an ant's ass but today it sure is something I hate....

Oops, hit the button a little early! I have been an insulin-dependent diabetic for the past 26 years, and have had many similar episodes to yours. One time I measured a 31 mg/dl after a strenuous aerobic workout; I barely made it home from my run! One thing that I have learned over the years is to eat one of those nutrition bars and drink a glass of orange juice a half hour before vigorous aerobic exercise. I find that in most cases I can avoid those extreme and dangerous hypoglycemic reactions that you mentioned. I don't know if this also occurs with you, but I will often have a hypoglycemic reaction just before a shoot. Now, on shoot days I avoid taking my morning insulin injection, but will have a small meal that includes protein, fat, and carbs, and a glass of juice before an event. Once I started doing this I have not experienced any pre-shoot hypoglycemia. I think when you are anticipating the possibility of low blood sugar, such as during your runs or whatever, it is better to accept and shoot for a higher blood sugar reading at the end of your exercise than to try to maintain a normal sugar level throughout your activity. Hope this helps. Good luck!

My 5 year old daughter was just diagnosed last year so while I can't exactly sympathize, I do kinda know what you are going through. Endo doesn't want to start her on a pump yet so she gives herself 4 shots a day. Even with mom and dad being nurses we had a steep learning curve (and I work in diabetes research!).

Gillster

Oops, hit the button a little early! I have been an insulin-dependent diabetic for the past 26 years, and have had many similar episodes to yours. One time I measured a 31 mg/dl after a strenuous aerobic workout; I barely made it home from my run! One thing that I have learned over the years is to eat one of those nutrition bars and drink a glass of orange juice a half hour before vigorous aerobic exercise. I find that in most cases I can avoid those extreme and dangerous hypoglycemic reactions that you mentioned. I don't know if this also occurs with you, but I will often have a hypoglycemic reaction just before a shoot. Now, on shoot days I avoid taking my morning insulin injection, but will have a small meal that includes protein, fat, and carbs, and a glass of juice before an event. Once I started doing this I have not experienced any pre-shoot hypoglycemia. I think when you are anticipating the possibility of low blood sugar, such as during your runs or whatever, it is better to accept and shoot for a higher blood sugar reading at the end of your exercise than to try to maintain a normal sugar level throughout your activity. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Agreed. I'll take less insulin in the morning before ongoing strenuous activity and monitor more often. Regarding the morning runs, etc- I never go anywhere without the glucose tablets. You never know.... I've been Type 1 since 68.

<edit..the disease hates me, I don't hate you...>

Hahaha... Ain't that the truth though? It's trying to kill ya.

Jason, thanks for the boost bro'.

Oh, and for those looking at something to pump up their blood sugar quickly try the little Sweeties candies. My nurse educator turned me on to them. Very, very quick acting. They pretty much crumble in your mouth

and get absorbed directly into the blood.

I have to say that as much as things have massively improved since I was diagnosed in '68 this new push for really tight control seems to be keeping us on the razor's edge of bad, and potentially fatal hypoglycemic episodes and I REALLY hate that!

Know the feeling too well. I am not "diabetic", but I am naturally heavy on the Hypo end of Hypoglycemic :(

and hear and follow pretty much everything all of you are doing too. We defenitely need to be watching out for each other and be ready to lend a had (or pick-me-up) when in need.

Neomet, what candies are these Sweeties? I may need to put some in my emergency stash along with the Protien Plus Power Bars.

Edited by Modoc

Ok,

there is the Halloween sized bag of those in the pantry already :rolleyes: . The wife used them for the Advent calendar this year.

Note, Do not let your spouse buy the "Energy Bars" without input from you. Went to the match today and she had carrot Cake and Cherry/Almond Cliff Bars :sick:

Sorry man, brain-fade, and I'm not even low!

Smarties, not Sweeties.

http://www.amazon.com/Farleys-Sathers-Smarties-Candy-2-5/dp/B000NLM13K

Oh, another hate on this..... Have ya seen the price of test strips?? It makes primers seem like a bargain!

Goat a Walgreen's in your area? Their Tru-Track test strips come in ~ $0.50 each, or about half of everybody else's on the market.....

Oh, another hate on this..... Have ya seen the price of test strips?? It makes primers seem like a bargain!

My apologies for turning this into a drifting discussion. But the Reli-On Micro strips are <$24 per 50 at WalMart.

The Reli-On Micro meter is also very cheap and quite good. Pretty fast to show the reading, doesnt need coding, and it uses absolutely the smallest drop of blood. It has become my favorite meter, and it uses the cheapest strips.

I usually take a roll of life savers with me. The glucose tablets work fast, but then you are on the roller coaster. I usually try the quick sugar, followed by something to slow it down - protein/fat like nuts, milk, ...

I normally would PM the thread starter before moving one out of What I Hate, but this has turned not only into a discussion, but one with some pretty good information in it. Moving to Injured Reserve.

Neomet: if this is unappropriate please PM me and I'll close it down for you.