Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Low blood sugars

Neomet

This is a decent discussion.

I would just warn against all talk of causation without the attachment of "this is speculative - not proven - not disproved".

There is a large difference between correlation and cause. In the case of most human diseases, outside of Infectious Disease, there is not a cause, there is not a cure, there is not a 100% prevention to be found.

What can be found are correlations - strong ones and weak ones. With strong correlations you start to see [professional] talk of Known Risk Factors, and Risk Factor Management. Those are all good topics to explore.

As usual, my thoughts upon seeing health-related postings by Jake are along the lines of "look before you leap" - often there is no landing zone on the other side of the chasm. Getting people to explore with you is fine; getting people to run off the edge of a cliff with you, not so fine.

Happy hunting.

PS - thanks for the post about the WalMart meter and strips. That will help me often with pharmacy patients.

Edited by eric nielsen

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the case of most human diseases, outside of Infectious Disease, there is not a cause, there is not a cure, there is not a 100% prevention to be found.

So with regards to the disease of western civilization (Diabetes, CHD, etc) - you are saying there is no cause, cure, or prevention?

I surely hope not because there is a very substantial amount of evidence to the contrary.

The huge problem with that generalization is that once you're diagnosed, glycemic control is a delicate balancing act that is easily disrupted. The patient requires regular monitoring, to ensure that there's no significant or long-lasting loss of euglycemia --- as that is what damages organs. Diabetics will live for years with the disease, with excellent control decades without major complications....

I know this is fact. My Grandmother was diagnosed with juvenile type I when she was 13 years old. It did, in fact end up killing her....She was 94....

Oh, another hate on this..... Have ya seen the price of test strips?? It makes primers seem like a bargain!

My apologies for turning this into a drifting discussion. But the Reli-On Micro strips are <$24 per 50 at WalMart.

The Reli-On Micro meter is also very cheap and quite good. Pretty fast to show the reading, doesnt need coding, and it uses absolutely the smallest drop of blood. It has become my favorite meter, and it uses the cheapest strips.

Can these be used to test on your forearms or are they used for fingertips? I hate using my fingertips. :angry2:

Wow, this thread took on a life of it's own.

The Reli-On Micro does not have alternate site capability. For the same price ($12) Reli-On has the 'Confirm' model which does work for alt site testing. It uses the same strips which are now $21.88 for a 50 pack.

Oh, another hate on this..... Have ya seen the price of test strips?? It makes primers seem like a bargain!

My apologies for turning this into a drifting discussion. But the Reli-On Micro strips are <$24 per 50 at WalMart.

The Reli-On Micro meter is also very cheap and quite good. Pretty fast to show the reading, doesnt need coding, and it uses absolutely the smallest drop of blood. It has become my favorite meter, and it uses the cheapest strips.

Can these be used to test on your forearms or are they used for fingertips? I hate using my fingertips. :angry2:

Wow, this thread took on a life of it's own.

The Reli-On Micro does not have alternate site capability. For the same price ($12) Reli-On has the 'Confirm' model which does work for alt site testing. It uses the same strips which are now $21.88 for a 50 pack.

Thank you so much. :bow: